+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Thank you. I will try and do some research
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    Call me obsessed but I just spent the last 2 hours looking over all the transcripts for LOST since Season 1 and I now have a complete list of all the nicknames Sawyer has used for fellow strandees since the very 1st episode.
    I grouped them all together (all the Hurley one's together, etc...)
    Here they are: Sawyer nicknames:
    Lardo (for Hurley)
    Pork Pie (for Hurley)
    StayPuff (for Hurley)
    Pillsbury (for Hurley)
    Hoss (for Hurley)
    Jethro (for Hurley)
    Jabba (for Hurley)
    Doc (for Jack)
    Metro (for Jack)
    Jacko (for Jack)
    Saint Jack (for Jack)
    Dr. Quinn (for Jack)
    Hoss (for Jack)
    Dr. DoRight (for Jack)
    Sheriff (for Jack)
    Sweetheart (for Kate)
    Sweet cheeks (for Kate)
    The Mighty Huntress (for Kate)
    Freckles (for Kate)
    Sassafras (for Kate)
    Puddin’ (for Kate)
    Al Jerzeera (for Sayid)
    Omar (for Sayid)
    Captain Falafel (for Sayid)
    Mohammad (for Sayid)
    Boss (for Sayid)
    Chico (for Sayid)
    Sticks (for Shannon)
    Mr. Miyagi (for Jin)
    Chief (for Jin)
    Bruce (for Jin)
    Kato (for Jin)
    Sulu (for Jin)
    Chewie (for Jin)
    Amigo (for Charlie)
    Tattoo (for Walt)
    Short Round (for Walt)
    Kazoo (for Walt)
    Daddy (for Michael)
    Chief (for Michael)
    Mickey (for Michael)
    Boss (for Michael)
    Han (for Michael)
    Hoss (for Michael)
    Mikey (for Michael)
    Betty (for Sun)
    Mamacita (for Claire)
    Bluebeard (for Mr. Friendly)
    Zeke (for Mr. Friendly)
    Sister (for Ana-Lucia)
    Sweetheart (for Ana-Lucia)
    Cupcake (for Ana-Lucia)
    Rambina (for Ana-Lucia)
    Hotlips (for Ana-Lucia)
    Ponce de Leon (for Ana-Lucia)
    Shaft (for Eko)
    Mr. Clean (for Locke)
    Danielle Boone (for Locke)
    Wow, nilesgirl! I'm impressed! Soon you will rival Qboots in the size of your file cabinets!
    Now that you've organized this though it helps me make my point, which I thought about more overnight. A lot of Sawyer's nicknames are friendly,flirty, or admiring ones (Rambina for example)--not insulting. The ones for people he doesn't like, like Sayid, not so nice and definitely less PC... e.g., Capt. Falafel. But everyone likes Hurley, including Sawyer I assume, so why not stop at Hoss and Jethro, who are "big" guys but not necessarily unattractive. The Pillsbury doughboy maybe could be seen as sweet and cuddly, but Jabba, no way---he's a revolting figure and it's really mean to call someone you like that. So maybe you could say that's the essence of Sawyer, an insensitive egocentric guy, but he does seem to discriminate in his nicknames between positive ones and mean ones, and I guess I feel it was out of character for him to be mean to Hurley. But maybe I have a higher opinion of him than the character deserves.
    Re being PC---really being PC means being kind and/or polite--stuff your mom should have taught you. I'm not insulted by being called PC. I do believe one can maybe be too PC, but I do try to listen if someone says to me they find a phrase I never noticed before... Indian summer, welshing on a bet, gypping someone...offensive to them and find out why, before I call them too PC. Re Jabba and Hurley---I think it is especially mean just because it's so apropos--when he's slumped down on the sand with that big loose t-shirt on... well, he does kind of look like Jabba, and it's funny, but it's also mean, especially to say it to his face.
    OK rant over, just trying to clarify what I meant.

FORT Lurker
    Random trail of multicontextual thoughts:

Ok, so the black smoke is in London, too? (at least on album covers?) Freaky. But I guess if the black smoke is "evil", then "evil" exists everywhere... and the evil smoke didn't kill Eko because Eko is already pretty evil (recent actions notwithstanding) or Locke (who everyone says is evil)... what else makes smoke? industrialization? Is industrialization evil? Is that why the Others have no technology? (magical torches notwithstanding). The most advanced technology on the island, arguably, is the computer... which seems pretty evil in keeping people caged/chained to it.

Hmm.

Or maybe Hamlet was right... there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I promised myself that I wouldn't comment anymore on this, but "Limbo" - the place where Catholics believed unbaptized babies go - was supposed to be eliminated from Catholic teaching years ago. The nuns at my school (back in the dark ages) taught it as doctrine, but I looked it up and my reference says that it is a choice to believe in it or not.

If you really care after all this, you can go here:
    http://www.americamagazine.org/gette...47&issueID=365

They believe that baptism cleanses original sin from the soul, but not that an unbaptized baby can't go to heaven. They sprinkle and use oil, but they don't dunk. (- Makes me hungry for a donut. )

I hope that makes you feel better, and I'm glad you covered all the bases.
    Thanks for that. I went to Catholic school in the dark ages, but was not Catholic so I got a strange mix of religion growing up in Presbyertian Church and going to Catholic School and since all that religious schooling was so long ago, I wasn't completely sure of my memories. So thanks for clearing that up. Glad to know limbo has been eliminated. I always that that was so unfair, they were just babies.

Well its hard NOT to talk about religion after this weeks episode as it so clearly contained a lot of religion in it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Similar screen cap, different angle:

http://img56.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ealost29gm.jpg

Ok, my husband said that all the Pink Floyd albums are "stories", like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. He's not familiar with Animals, so he said that maybe "the story" in this album has something to do with what's going on with Charlie in Lost.

Anyone have a clue about this album? This one is one I'm not real familiar with either, since I only really have listened mostly to Dark Side of the Moon.

I do know from some stuff that came out during Rock Star:INXS that one of the original band members of Pink Floyd went crazy and was committed to an asylum and the other members were very traumatized by that and therefore quite a few of their subsequent songs dealt with that. Songs like Wish you were here and Brain Damage from Dark Side of the Moon
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by cpp_nh
    ... what else makes smoke? industrialization? Is industrialization evil? Is that why the Others have no technology? (magical torches notwithstanding). The most advanced technology on the island, arguably, is the computer... which seems pretty evil in keeping people caged/chained to it.
    I like it...I like it.

-I think The Others were all former participants in The Dharma Initiative, whether by choice or not, but they rejected it either by coming to their senses or going fruit loop.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    How do you know Eko's marked trees are the ones Charlie set on fire. I must've missed something. I thought Jack was with Locke and Sayid and the other strandees trying to put out Charlie's fire. If that's the case, he was probably still putting out the last embers as Locke punched the crap out of Charlie.
    -I 'll have to go back and see, but when Eko was surveying the burned area, it looked to me like the same spot he was marking the day before. As for Jack, I definitely did not see him at the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by susie
    I'm wondering how you scam somebody for millions when you are stranded on an island. It isn't like there is an atm in the hatch! It's just me, but I don't buy that one, I think there is more to it than her scaming him for money. If everyone thinks Hurley is dead, where does his money go to anyway. Then, what happens when he returns from the dead and someone else spent all his money???
    -There probably IS more to Libby chatting up Hurley than a money scam. All I'm saying is that if she really is a clinical psychologist like she says, and she recognizes Hurley as a patient, I don't think she would toy with his psyche like that unless she was trying to scam him.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    ... I now have a complete list of all the nicknames Sawyer has used for fellow strandees since the very 1st episode.
    My, what a funny list!
    This seems to be an interesting site. You are all very attentive to details, aren't you? Did y'all pay this much attention to details throughout school?

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I am horrible at art history, so I was wondering if any of you all, maybe knew the painting from Charlie's childhood home. I'd love to know who the painter is and whether there is some meaning to it.

The Baptism of Christ

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/htm...g/baptism.html

Quote Originally Posted by bajookaBaba View Post
    My, what a funny list!
    This seems to be an interesting site. You are all very attentive to details, aren't you? Did y'all pay this much attention to details throughout school?

HEE HEE - only to what was going on outside the window!

And welcome!

Myrosiedog: Here is a review of PF's Animals. http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/d...hp?rev=pf-anim

Whilst lurking among other message boards I read a post that said there was also a shot of the Chunnel with a sign. Not having been to London, I wouldn't know. Anyone?
    Last edited by cricketeen; 01-27-2006 at 08:53 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by bajookaBaba View Post
    My, what a funny list!
    This seems to be an interesting site. You are all very attentive to details, aren't you?
    You have NO idea! Welcome!

+ Reply to Thread