+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Hmmm, $40,000 to $80,000? Even in their salaries we see two of the "numbers."

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by lostonanisland View Post
    notice how many (most) of our losties have dad issues

jack- alcoholic father
    sawyer- con man father
    locke- swindled locke out of a kidney
    kate- also had alcoholic father
    walt- didnt like michael at first/ stepdad (name cant come to me at the moment) doesnt like him
    shannon/boone- dad died in accident
    hurley- not enough info but maybe never saw father or hes dead?
    claire/charlie/eko/sayid- dont know about fathers yet
    AL- father not seen in her flashback. anybody have input on this one?
    sun- dad owned hotel and did bad stuff away from business (hired jin to do it for him)

anyway, long story short, a lot of our castaways have a father problem.
    did i miss any?
    i wouldn't say each castaway had "father" problems as in father(parent-child) relationship.

AL - she and the father of her baby broke up during her lay off/recovery from being shot, which killed the baby.

Eko - he killed a "FATHER" as in a priest. and he is impersonating as a priest.

those are the "Father" connections i got from these 2 tailies.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1 View Post
    http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/ne...00817300p.html

'Lost' cast members find big pay rises
    Mon Jan 23, 1:22 AM ET

The cast of ABC's "Lost" has even more to cheer about beyond the show's recent Golden Globe win for best drama series.

"Lost" producer Touchstone Television has offered all original members of the large ensemble cast a substantial salary bump in exchange for an additional year to the actors' current contracts. The studio's pre-emptive offer would see the actors earn almost $80,000 each an episode next season, the show's third, up from a range of about $20,000-$40,000 for most cast members this season.

All original cast members, including Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Josh Holloway, Naveen Andrews, Dominic Monaghan, Terry O'Quinn, Jorge Garcia, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim and Harold Perrineau, have been offered the same deal and are expected to take it.

Fox, who plays the pivotal role of Jack, is said to have earned an extra bonus of at least $250,000.

However, in the spirit of the show where no character is safe from being killed off or otherwise removed from the mysterious island where the series is set, the actors are said to have no guarantees about the length of their tenure on the show.

Representatives for Touchstone TV and all "Lost" cast members declined comment for this report. ABC and Touchstone are owned by Walt Disney Co.
    The substantial raise would put the "Lost" actors on par with what the ladies of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" are now making, industry sources said. The core "Housewives" quartet of Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross and Eva Longoria, who also started off in the $20,000-$40,000 range, all reportedly received bonuses of $250,000 midway though the show's first season as well as equal salary bumps for Season 2, bringing their per-episode fees to the high-five to low-six figures, depending on each actress' starting salary.

This is understood to be the first salary bump for the "Lost" cast members, who reportedly received a bonus of an extra episode fee between Seasons 1 and 2.

"Lost," which boasts one of the largest casts and the highest production values in primetime, has been a passion project for most of the actors on the show.

When actors sign on to do a network pilot, they are automatically committed to long-term deals that usually run at least five years. It's common industry practice that when a show is a big hit, cast members are rewarded with salary bumps and bonuses beyond the studio's contractual obligations. "Lost" has been the rare combination of a critical and commercial hit for ABC, earning a rabid worldwide following, the Emmy last year for best drama series and the drama series Golden Globe last week.

"Lost" has done very well in DVD sales, finishing 2005 as the second-best-selling TV-DVD with 1.04 million units sold, according to trade publication Home Media Retailing, and it has been the driving force for the 1.5 million downloads of Walt Disney Co.-produced series that Apple's iTunes music store has sold for viewing on iPods since Disney struck its groundbreaking download-on-demand licensing pact with Apple in October.

A new-media spin-off designed for cell phones, "Lost Video Diaries," is slated for launch on Verizon V Cast service this month.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    Wonder if there is any particular reason Jack gets paid an additional bonus?? Yeah, he's a pivotal character but I think a couple of others could be considered that also....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I seem to recall that too, but then I'm wondering, didn't Kate just cut Sawyers hair with a comb and scissors?
    Right, I was going to add that, that at least his hair looked combed as she was cutting it, but couldn't remember if I actually saw a comb.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I didn't go all the way back through the thread, but did anyone notice that when the bearded "others" leader asked to have Kate brought out in front of Jack , he said "Alex!" Alex is the name of the French woman's son. Speaking of her, where the hell is she? And where is Hatch Boy?
    I thought Alex was the name of Danielle's daughter?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Hmmm, $40,000 to $80,000? Even in their salaries we see two of the "numbers."
    Good one, Florimel!

Well earned pay raises for all. Glad to see they're getting some of the "cache".
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

10 hours and 45 minutes until tonights episode! I can't wait to find out what the deal is with Charlie and the baby. From the previews, it looks like it's going to be the best episode of the season so far!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Regular
    This was in the TV Guide Insider today on their website, so I won't spoiler it.

Dominic Monaghan Has the Dope on Lost
    by Matt Webb Mitovich

This week's Lost (airing at 9pm/ET on ABC, for the 108 of you who don't know) focuses its attention on Charlie, whom Claire and some others (but not those Others) suspect may be chasing the dragon... sampling the smack... riding the H train... OK, I've run out of euphemisms (and even made up that last one, I think). But is DriveSHAFT's bass player actually back with the brown sugar? TVGuide.com went to Dominic Monaghan for the inside dope.

TVGuide.com: Regarding this week's episode, "Fire + Water," I imagine you must have been excited to tap back into Charlie's sad little past. It's been a while for you.

Dominic Monaghan: It has been a while. This season has been, in a sense, about change, in terms of the format, in terms of how they've told the story, and that's been a little adjustment for me. I'm good friends with [Lost cocreator] Damon Lindelof, and I had a conversation with him in which I asked, "What's going on? What's the deal this year?" He said, "We've got a lot of stories to tell that don't necessarily concern your character about the hatch, the guys on the raft, the tail section of the plane and we need to deal with those stories and tell them in the correct amount of time it's going to take the audience to understand them, and then we're going to get back to our regulars. You just need to hang in there and take it easy." I trust Damon and [executive producer] Carlton [Cuse], and once they said that to me, I just spent a lot of time getting ready and contributing as much as I could, and slowly watching Charlie seep back into the show. Last week I was in it a little bit more, and this week is Charlie-prominent. I have to admit, it's been an interesting roller coaster, but it's also informed me about my character. I think Charlie feels confused about his place in the group, how he can contribute, where he's headed.

TVGuide.com: A lot of fans have labeled him and I'll clean this up a bit "the screwup."

Monaghan: Yeah, he is a screwup, and also in my mind, he's a wild card, the joker in the pack. We don't necessarily know where he's headed. He's not, for me, as black and white as characters like Jack or Hurley, who seem like intrinsically good characters, or people like Ethan or Locke, who seem a little more sinister. It appears to me that Charlie is really cutting straight down the middle in one episode, he'll be a good guy and a hero, and in the next he'll fail. For me as an actor, sitting on the fence is a great place to be. I've said that from the start. Right now, I'm trying to be a "bad" good guy, and at some point he could turn into a "good" bad guy.

TVGuide.com: In true Lost fashion, ABC hasn't released much information about "Fire + Water," other than to say, "When Charlie's vividly surreal dreams lead him to believe Claire's baby is in danger, Locke suspects Charlie may be using again." What can you add?

Monaghan: Charlie's in a headspace were he's obviously feeling pretty ostracized from Claire and from the baby, which for a long time has been his rock on the island a reason to behave, a reason to get up in the morning, a routine, as it were. Once Charlie starts to gravitate to the fascination around drugs, specifically heroin, again, Claire pushes him away from the baby, and that sends him onto a careening course of lack of sleep, a lack of a place to call home. Because of that, the dreams that haunt Charlie relate to things going on in his past. [The flashbacks are from] when he's about 20 years old, delving into Charlie's relationship with his mother and father.
    TVGuide.com: Is that pre-DriveSHAFT?

Monaghan: No, it's actually as DriveSHAFT is kicking off. There are a lot of issues that Charlie has with the responsibility that was lumped on him by his mother, who said, "We are going to look to you to save the family, and you're going to do that with the music you play." He felt a lot of responsibility for his family, and that [ties into] the island, his family now being Claire and Aaron. With all these paranoid dreams, he starts to second-guess how Aaron should be treated, and that causes problems.
    TVGuide.com: By the end of the episode, will we know for certain, one way or the other, whether Charlie's using again?

Monaghan: He has a scene with one of the characters on the island where he reveals exactly what's been going on with the drugs, where his head is at.
    TVGuide.com: Lost has Mr. Eko, recurring faith-versus-science debates, baby Aaron as an ersatz Moses.... What do you think about all the religious themes that seem to pop up?

Monaghan: I come from England, a country that doesn't really hold church and god in as a high regard as you guys do, and I think the writers are savvy to the fact that they can tap into that interest in this country. If you're in a life-and-death situation, you can go to those places of "What's life all about?" and "Is there a god who's orchestrating the whole thing?" The show itself seems to deal with [those] themes. Lost kind of shrouds itself with special effects and characters, but you're dealing with questions we ask ourselves every day, like "Why are we here?"

TVGuide.com: Let's talk about the black smoke. What kind of scene direction were you given regarding Charlie's reaction to the creature confronting Eko?
    Monaghan: The script described "smoky tendrils" and there were lots of directorial notes about how "this will be a very scary special-effects shot." I've been fortunate enough to have worked on projects with special effects. Specifically coming to mind is The Lord of the Rings....

TVGuide.com: Yeah, there were a few special effects there.

Monaghan: [Laughs] I've been told, "OK, that tennis ball is the most terrifying thing you've seen in your life, and it's 300 feet taller than [it appears] now, and it's 150 feet wide." As a kid, I would play-act and imagine things I would imagine I was Han Solo or Indiana Jones so as actors, we have the ability to take ourselves there. When I was in the tree and the smoke starts coming up, the director just said, "You're looking down on something that you know has the ability to pick up the pilot of the plane and can lift trees out of the ground... a tremendously powerful, intimidating thing." It looks like a big plume of black smoke, but obviously it's something a bit more sinister than that. Something terrifying and supernatural.

TVGuide.com: Having seen all kinds of computer-generated effects in the Lord of the Rings films, what did you think of the final product Lost was able to pull off?

Monaghan: It was good. But I don't think it's the be-all, end-all of the monster. In my mind, and this is an uneducated guess, it felt like an "eye" or some sort of tool that the ultimate monster is able to put out there as a sort of navigation device on the island. I don't feel like we've seen the ultimate monster. It could just be an appendage but hopefully not a sexual organ. That would be terrifying.

TVGuide.com: Obviously Matthew Fox gets questions like "Who will Kate choose Jack or Sawyer?" What question do fans ask you most often?
    Monaghan: Recently, I got a lot of people asking if Charlie's going to chase the dragon again. And I get the generic questions of "What's the monster?" and "Are you guys actually dead?" But I also get a lot of personal questions about me, not necessarily about Charlie.

TVGuide.com: Would you say that the paparazzi industry in Oahu has doubled or tripled since you started filming there?

Monaghan: Certainly outside my door, it has, which is "fun."

TVGuide.com: Did they have to import photographers, or did the locals just learn how to use digital cameras?

Monaghan: There's definitely that the locals have caught on that if they can get shots of people on the beach, they can sell them. There seem to be [actors] in the industry who welcome that people who [stand] outside of nightclubs knowing there's going to be a slew of photographers taking their picture. Me, I've never, ever flirted with the press in that way. I don't want people to follow me around. I don't think that my private life outside of the set is anyone's business. So what I try to instill in [tabloid reporters and photographers] is that I'm the most boring guy in the world. As soon as people start following me around, I start doing the most boring things I pick up dry cleaning, I shop for video games, I walk around the park until they're not interested anymore. It comes with the territory, but... it's not much fun.

TVGuide.com: You kept a few pairs of the latex hobbit feet from The Lord of the Rings. Are they in a display case or, like, in a closet next to your Docksiders?

Monaghan: My mom and dad put one set in a display case. I gave another set to my brother, I gave a pair to my best friend in England, and I have a set.

TVGuide.com: Are any of them, you know, mangy?

Monaghan: They can get a little decrepit, because the glue starts to degrade and smell. You have to be careful.

TVGuide.com: Lastly, although you're an avid surfer in real life, I guess that's not something Charlie would be into?

Monaghan: I keep sending little memos to Damon, saying, "Charlie finds a surfboard on the island." This is a flight that went from Sydney to Los Angeles, two very high-profile surfing destinations, so there must have been at least three or four surfboards on that plane. "Charlie finds a surfboard, he gets bored, and tries out a few waves." I don't think they're necessarily going to turn Charlie into the ultimate athlete I am, but who knows? Maybe at some point in the future!

Wow! TY Pixie for that. Very interesting. 6 hours and 51 minutes
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread