+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    My husband says: They've wasted 49 days piddling around when they should have been training all along. Ever since they knew something else and someone else was on the island and it was obvious they weren't friendly or they would have brought a welcome gift.

And why did he ask AL instead of Sayid who was in a REAL army with supposedly real combat training as opposed to a police officer who has completely different training and tactics than the military does? The only similarity is they both shoot guns and even those are different, police carry handguns, military rifles.
    Couldn't agree more with your husband! They definitely seem to want to keep the number of people trained to use firearms to a minimum - which makes absolutely no sense when being threatened on an island. I find it hard to believe the most defense they could come up with this whole time was to keep watch for what, only one night? (Thinking of the episode with Boone, and the bonfires at night...)

And yes, it especially bothered me why Jack would talk to A.L. about training an army, and not Sayid - didn't make any sense to me!! I think one of my problems with this show is how it is basically taking place a day at a time, yet so much continuity gets left behind - as in, I really do not expect next week to hear Locke or Sawyer or Kate still be up in arms about their near death encounter in the jungle - when in reality, you'd think they'd go running back to camp trying to explain their predicament to anyone who would listen! Yet, only Jack mentioned it, and I have a feeling it won't be a big topic of discussion next week.

Why is Mr Friendly so disheveled?? It's not like his group needs to live wild and unkempt, while Desmond was living with modern conveniences, seems like The Others would have access to some of that luxury somewhere on the island. I guess it makes sense The Others could have a relatively large number to their group, but then, the torches lighting up in the woods seemed more like an illusion or trick (especially how they went out just as quick as they lit up). I sort of felt that Mr Friendly really hoped the discussion would not continue when Ethan's name was mentioned - my first impression was that he wasn't pleased with Ethan's actions, disapproval, maybe? He definitely seemed to know who Ethan was, though.

LOST: THE HUNT
    Posted by Greg
    Another action-packed episode. And it seems like just seven days ago we had a new one, too.

Spoilers and speculation after the jump.

continue reading "LOST: THE HUNT"

This one was intense, with not a lot to break up the intensity. Both the main storyline and Jack's flashback were dark and dismal. Of course, I loved it. My main complaint with Season 2 is that it hasn't been nearly as suspenseful and frightening as Season 1. While I still don't think this was one of the most suspenseful episodes in the series, it at least got things back on the right track.

Links and miscellanea:

This week's official podcast with writers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof (assuming you didn't listen, and that's what I'm here for) was somewhat sillier and frivolous than usual. But it did produce two nuggets. First, about Eko's encounter with the Monster, the following pointed remarks were made:
    Carlton Cuse: Now you've seen the latest incarnation of the Monster, and uh ... all those flashes, Damon, do you wanna make any comment about ...
    Damon Lindelof: Yeah, it's kinda ... it's kind of interesting, they're very short and very brief and sort of ... uh, I think I will sort of leave to the audience to sort of interpret what they will, but if ... I would, my own interpretation, Carlton, would be that, you know, that the thing that all the flashes had in common was they seemed to be moments from Mr. Eko's life ...

CC: They did, yes ...

DL: Some of which, we may not have even seen yet. So, I don't know what I would intuit by the fact that the Monster was in someway almost sort of the ethernet connection to his emotions but was in some way downloading his fears and anxieties and ...

CC: ... analyzing them ...

DL: ... and then was somehow able not to, uh, attack him based on the fact that Eko did not seem particularly afraid of him, which might explain why Locke was not ...

CC: ... right ...

DL: ... savaged by the Monster in Season One. That would be, I don't know, just my theory.

CC: And you know what, I would, uh, I would put a little bit of credence to a lot of that speculation. I think that that's, uh ... you know, the Monster, obviously, might be reacting to certain aspects of, uh, the character that he is facing.

Second, we were informed that Dharma is an acronym. From now on, I will refer to it as D.H.A.R.M.A. It's more difficult to type, but accuracy does not come without its cost. Let the speculation begin about it's meaning.

According to this article, primetime Lost ratings have increased since old shows started being offered on iTunes. Makes sense to me. Provide a means for people to stay caught up, and not only does the risk of audience drop-off decrease, but it also gives those getting caught up through DVD a chance to get up to speed.

Photos of Kate (aka Evangeline Lilly) getting funky on MTV's TRL can be found here. (You know, for all those people out there who thought I was holding back on the substantive aspects of the show.) (†Approaching Lost.)

Lost: The Musical from Jimmy Kimmel Live. (Click on the link under "Lost Video")

Observations and speculations:

Michael continued to communicate with Walt/Not Walt vie the hatch's Apple II. I think we can infer that Michael was given specific instructions about where to go, and told he had to go alone.

One has to wonder if Jack would have tried so hard to save Gabriella's father if Gabriella didn't look like a younger version of Monica Bellucci. Yes, Jack's an idealist, but that doesn't quite explain the look in his eye. And, by the way, what are the chances that the other man that Sarah was seeing turns out to be someone we know? With this show, I'd put it at about 50/50, and somewhat higher odds that it's Desmond.

Now would be a good time to discuss the Others, lest I be accused of burying the lede. Here's what we know (or can reasonably surmise), and don't know, about the Others from this week's episode:

These are the same Others that took Walt from the raft, and they have guns.

The Other who confronted Jack, Locke and Sawyer is the same Other that was on the boat and also bears somewhat of a resemblance to Mr. DeGroot, the University of Michigan graduate student in the D.H.A.R.M.A. orientation film.

The Others know a lot about the lostaways, including names and personal details. I think we can infer more than a little bit of surveillance has been happening.

On the other hand, there's some reason to doubt that Ethan was a part of their group. Bearded Other didn't flinch when Jack mentioned the spy. I've never been one to put much stock in the theory that there are more than one group of Others, but after tonight I could definitely be persuaded.

Bearded Other mentioned, "a man a whole lot smarter than you [who] once said, 'since [sic] the dawn of our species, man's been blessed with curiosity.'" That man happens to be Mr. Alvar Hanso. Frustratingly, the Hanso Foundation website is down at the moment (perhaps for updating?) but the Google cache reveals that Mr. Hanso made this statement to the UN Security Council in 1967. Thus, we can conclude that these Others are, in fact, connected to the Hanso Foundation and D.H.A.R.M.A.

There are quite a few of them. I counted at least thirteen by the torches, but I don't have a widescreen TV. (An aside: when Bearded Other told his posse to "light 'em up," it was a cool effect, but how did they do that? Do they have a huge supply of butane lighters?)

EDIT: Something I missed the first time: when Bearded Other plays the trump card and annouces Kate as his hostage, he yells "Bring her out, Alex." Alex, in case you don't remember, is Rouseau's child who was taken by the Others as a baby.

A geographical note: Michael headed north (presumably at Walt/Not Walt's instructions) toward the Others. Michael, Sawyer and Jin came from the eastern side of the island. If you divided the island up into quadrants, then, you'd have Others in the north, the tailie's landing in the southeast, and the lostaway's camp in the southeast. It's a little puzzling that the tailies ended up on the east side of the lostaways. The airliner was traveling from Australia to LA, which would mean eastbound. The tail section broke off before the fuselage crashed. If the airliner was still traveling eastward, you would expect the tail section to wind up to the west of the fuselage. Did the plane get turned around? Sure, it was off course, by why would it have turned 180 degrees?

Last week I speculated that "Geronimo Jackson" was really "Geronimo Black." I was wrong. I suspect that Geronimo Jackson isn't a real band, but was made up for the show. Perhaps some of the D.H.A.R.M.A. people were in the band?

It was nice to see Vincent again. Someone should warn Ana Lucia that weird things happen to whoever takes care of that dog.

I kind of wonder if Cynthia Watros was suspended from the show for bad behavior (i.e., her recent DUI guilty plea). Her character, Libby, was mentioned (as Hurley's love interest, of all things), but she had no screen time.

I enjoyed this one, and it sure is nice to get to see new episodes on consecutive weeks. Next week's episode, "Fire + Water" looks like it may have Charlie flashbacks and may return us to a familiar motif: the lucid/prescient hallucination.

If anyone could tell me what happened in the last couple of minutes, I'd appreciate it. My DVR stopped right after Jack asked Ana Lucia if she had actually killed one of "them."

http://beggingtodiffer.com/

---------------

Found this...thought it was..interesting. Some of it. Or not. I dunno. If it is, good. If not...eh.

Others equal 20+ on the ABC recap that lit up the torches.
    If this is the total number of the Others adults it shouldn't be to hard for Jack and crew to overthrow them. But, maybe there is more back at their camp?

Quote Originally Posted by jenuinely
    Okay. It's obvious from my avatar who I like the most. I thought it was odd that Eko wasn't helping them track Michael. He helped the first time Michael ran away to find Walt.
    Did anyone see Adewale on Jimmy Kimmel? Could you recap here? I taped Lost and saw it long after it aired so I wasn't able to watch Jimmy Kimmel's show.
    From what I could hear (had to keep the TV low so as to not wake my husband) he just talked about what his name meant and how he became an actor. He said his dad wanted him to be a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by twiddler
    If anyone could tell me what happened in the last couple of minutes, I'd appreciate it. My DVR stopped right after Jack asked Ana Lucia if she had actually killed one of "them."
    You didn't miss much.
    Jack: Is it true you killed one of them?
    AL: Who?
    Jack: "Them"
    AL nods.
    Jack: Sayid tells me you're a cop.
    AL: I was a cop.
    Jack: Can I ask you something?
    AL looks at Jack: Sure.
    Jack: How long would it take to train an army?
    The end.
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 01-19-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

ABC grabbed the lead at 9 p.m. with "Lost," 11.5/17. That narrowly beat "Skating with Celebrities," which debuted with an 11.2/16 coming out of "Idol".

zap2it

So happy to have adventure back! A fun ride these two weeks!

Fantastic post, Twiddler, thanks.

Unlike you, I have been "entertaining the notion" that there were probably two groups on the island already - albeit, linked in a way. A clinical, scientific group and this other group of Others.

I know there are a lot of holes in these ideas, but here goes:
    Part of The Hanso Foundation's experiment is(was?) a study of civilization. In earlier discussions, Fort members wrote about the real John Locke and utopian societies, etc. That name has to be a hint.

Perhaps there was already a group of people living on the island (descending from the prisoners from the Black Rock) and Hanso sent in a few scientists to assimilate with them and study them and try to build up this utopian society, while at the same time sending in more scientists for the "hatch experiments" (magnetics, ESP, zoology, etc) ... Something goes wrong in one or more of the hatches, and now, ??? Hijinks ensue. (Still not convinced that button does anything, but ya never can tell).

Until more is revealed, this means accepting that the island does have some weird juju already. How else to explain the visions our losties have, the Black Rock's location, the drug plane, Adam and Eve - which may be where Mr. Friendly got that WWII gun; and what about Goodwin's knife? Maybe it's why Hanso, et al, chose the island in the first place.

As for the Oceanic crash, I can think of two possibilities - One is island juju/ fate, one is HUGE Hanso setup: Throw some newbies into the mix and see how they interact with the other society and the remaining experiments. That would also explain why Danielle and her group (and Desmond and Kelvin/Calvin?) were lured to the island.

And I'm not sure how to categorize the monster. Nano-technology does seem to be a real-world explanation (if we stretch it), but what about those pictures within it? Part of the ESP experiments? More island juju?

So where are all the scientists now? I'll say it again, on the Dharma web site they have an option called Remote Viewing training. Don't know if this site is legit, but it's something to consider.

Tenuous ideas, I know.

(Now taking a hard left):

When Mr. Friendly said it was time to talk, I wish Jack could have at least attempted some diplomacy. He might have gotten a little more information from him. That's a situation where Locke would have been a more valuable player. He has the capacity to at least pretend to respect the guy and try to have a calm, reasoned dialogue. And again, major frustration that these people don't ask enough questions or share information with each other.

Does anyone think there is still a mole among the losties?

When all those torches lit up, my first thought was that someone was about to get voted off of the island.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    You didn't miss much.
    Jack: Is it true you killed one of them?
    AL: Who?
    Jack: "Them"
    AL nods.
    Jack: Sayid tells me you're a cop.
    AL: I was a cop.
    Jack: Can I ask you something?
    AL looks at Jack: Sure.
    Jack: How long would it take to train an army?
    The end.
    I didn't miss that, actually. The whole "can someone tell me what I missed?" bit was part of the article ROFL. Plus, even if I did miss it, well...thank god for Quickboost/The Flash/Qboots over there

I'm hard pressed imagining how the initial talk from Lost's staff indicating that there wasn't a supernatural element involved in the story could be accurate.

Seeing Ol' Smoky manifest itself and then dissipate is something I don't see being explained sufficently in any other manner. Similarly, the way the numbers appeared tied to so many individuals seems like more than can be explained away as just being coincidental, and would appear to be a tougher job to stage than any mortal I'm aware of to be able to pull off.

They must have had a light on/light off clapper in the woods this last episode to bring on the surrounding lights and extinquish them in such swift and coordinated manner.

FORT Fanatic
    something really weird happened to me last night. i wake up at 3 in the morning and out of nowhere i have a new theory:

you know how there were no dead bodies except for a few in the 1st class seats? well, lets say that oceanic was involved with this whole dharma/hanso/island thing. say that the people in the 1st class were the "light em up" others (im gonna call them that for a little bit). and then say that the light em up's all were someone from each past of each lostie and oceanic figured out a way to get them on the plane without the losties noticing. this could explain how they know so much about the losties.

its probably not true but it came to me at 3am and thought i would say it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz View Post

Why is Mr Friendly so disheveled?? It's not like his group needs to live wild and unkempt, while Desmond was living with modern conveniences, seems like The Others would have access to some of that luxury somewhere on the island. I guess it makes sense The Others could have a relatively large number to their group, but then, the torches lighting up in the woods seemed more like an illusion or trick (especially how they went out just as quick as they lit up). I sort of felt that Mr Friendly really hoped the discussion would not continue when Ethan's name was mentioned - my first impression was that he wasn't pleased with Ethan's actions, disapproval, maybe? He definitely seemed to know who Ethan was, though.
    Well obviously Mr. Friendly knows about the hatches as he referenced that in talking to Jack about "would you go into someone's home....etc." can't remember the exact wording (anyone?) but it sounded like he was making reference to the fact they opened the hatch and were using the bunker.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread