+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

The C> prompt on the computer leads me to believe that it is not an Apple II but a DOS based computer, either MS-DOS or PC-DOS. The TRS-80 was available in 1977 and the 8086 and 8088 were available in 1978/79. The 20826 came shortly thereafter.

Telecommuncations were available on these computers. The Internet was available in the seventies and eighties although it was only text, no graphics, and only for government, military, and education use.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Wow, awesome ep.

I loved Charlie's line, "What are you gonna do, beat me with your Jesus Stick?'

Hilarious!!!

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by getreal View Post
    Ekko was on Oceanic 815, and was in the water with the rest of the passengers. We still don't know how he came to be travelling from Sydney to LA on that flight. Stay tuned ...
    How do we know that? Is he on the manifest? We saw him in the water rescuing people but that doesn't mean he couldn't have already been on the island. I'm not saying he wasn't on the Oceanic flight - he most likely was. I'm just saying that, personally, I think there is a possibility he was not.

Right, he burned his brother's body and did not bury it. I'm not familiar with Nigerian customs, although I don't think they have a tradition of burning dead bodies during funeral rites. But a lot of cultures do in their back history (Ancient Indian fire pyres, ancient Scandinavia where they put the person's body on a raft and set it on fire and floated it etc.) Burning the body has the same end purpose as burying the body - either way he paid his respects to his brother by making sure he wasn't just lying unclaimed and unknown in some dirty field. Plus, fire is a purifying element - by burning the plane Eko could also be said to be burning up his past and all the dirtiness and drugs and death associated with the plane (minus the drugs Charlie took).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Well there's still MUCH more we have to see in Eko's backstory: his transition from a bad guy drug runner to a good guy priest, how he got on the island, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    One more tidbit - not from last nights ep. - and some speculation:
    Locke stated that the Black Rock was likely a slave ship. I've been able to verify that Portsmouth, England ( the BR is registered to a Portsmouth ) was the first port used by convict ships sailing to Australia. These ships sailed from 1787 - 1868.
    Passenger manifests show both men and women sent out on the same ships.
    Given the good/bad/redemption theme of this show, I think it is more likely that this was a convict ship, and I wonder if their descendants are the people saying "This is our island".
    Cricketeen, I like this theory.
    Last night I was really concerned that Eko was going to start a hugh forest fire on the island. How did he ever manage to contain it. LOL

FORT Fanatic
    how come eko isnt in any manifest? and isnt it weird that the plane broke in half EXACTLY from the division of the tail section/mid section?

Quote Originally Posted by lostonanisland View Post
    how come eko isnt in any manifest? and isnt it weird that the plane broke in half EXACTLY from the division of the tail section/mid section?
    Slow down, who said Eko wasn't on the manifest? You're not the first person to say that, did I miss something?

I was watching for Eko's entrance and he's in the water with Ana-Lucia as the survivors are washing up. Coming up out of the water, not running in and turning around. Even Goodwin didn't show up for another ten minutes, so if he managed to be in the water waiting for the crash he really has a crystal ball!

I'm not sure what you mean about it breaking exactly in half. I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why you say it was "exactly" half.

The Nigerian plane bothers me now that we have more information. From the discussions with his brother, they needed a plane just to get over the border where they could sell the drugs more freely. Or maybe they needed to get over the border and they had clear airspace after that.

But even so, where the heck were they going? If they were going towards Australia or the South Pacific, weren't they essentially going past countries that grow and export heroin without as much risk? I don't buy it.

I don't think we're supposed to buy it, I think we're supposed to be leaning towards the conclusion that something drew the plane there, either supernaturally or with a really big magnet.

Also, one speculation that I was thinking might be true was that the monster isn't smoke, it's magnetic filings that are being manipulated. The Hanso project about electromagnet research seems to fit in with this. But that doesn't explain how magnetic filings could reflect the inner thoughts of the person it's aimed at.

This episode has been my favorite episode of the season, and Eko's back story is probably one the best.

This was the kind of episode that makes me wish I was in college again so I could write a looong paper on it (literature major that I was). Mr. Eko's story is a great example of the theme of man's sacrifice and (hopeful) redemption.

As I watched the epsiode, I was moved by how a man that had committed so many heinous crimes could still be likable. My dad and I had the argument- him saying that Eko was evil, me arguing that Eko is a man that had to initally make a horrible choice not for HIS survival, but that of someone he loved (his brother). Had Eko been truly a bad person, he would have let his brother kill the old man. But his love of his brother, not his desire to kill, drove him to make the personal sacrifice.

A cynic could argue that Eko didn't agree to ship the heroin for any noble reason. Or that there is no justification for the murders he eventually carried out. However, Eko was correct in that heroin would be out of Nigeria and become someone else's problem. More importantly, Eko was living in a society that had fallen apart, where it often came down to a killed-or-be-killed mentality. Does that justify his actions? Maybe not, but it does help explain why he conitnued to live the life that he chose.

One can only hope that although Eko said he was a priest to escape, it has become a lifestyle that he truly embraces ( as evidenced by the "Scripture stick"). Which leads us to another interesting dynamic that could be explored- the bloody Scripture stick .
    Last edited by Chickngirl; 01-12-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N." Wooderson, "Dazed & Confused"

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Also, one speculation that I was thinking might be true was that the monster isn't smoke, it's magnetic filings that are being manipulated. The Hanso project about electromagnet research seems to fit in with this. But that doesn't explain how magnetic filings could reflect the inner thoughts of the person it's aimed at.
    That's what I've been questioning. How does the supernatural black smoke tie in with a scientific study? It just doesn't work for me.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fanatic
    when i said exactly, its like the entire tail section broke off from behind the lavatories and then the entire mid section was there. i mean usually when u see a plane break in half it breaks somewhere else and not by seperate sections. basically im saying, no rows from the midsection were in the tail section and no tail section rows were in the midsection.

i was going to bring up the thing about the black smoke being like iron or something(when grouped together, iron particles make a fine black material) but i forgot to mention it. unless i did already.

+ Reply to Thread