+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    Looks like we're getting another Summary Episode, right before the return of Lost:

Special Recap: Lost: Revelations
    Airdate: January 11, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Discover the complete story of the grueling first 48 days on the island for the fuselage survivors and tailies after the crash of Oceanic flight 815. Since the beginning, "Lost" has mystified and intrigued viewers with its interesting characters and unique style of storytelling. Season One dealt with the fuselage survivors, the hatch and a failed attempt to get off the island. Season Two continues these stories and also introduces viewers to the survivors of the tail section. "Lost: Revelation" puts these two seasons together in a linear fashion that provides an illuminating view on one compelling story. See the sequence of the aftermath of the failed raft attempt, the opening of the hatch, how the tail section and fuselage survivors lived separately and the unwitting intersections of their lives, and how both groups ultimately collided in one catastrophic moment. "Lost: Revelation" offers new and avid viewers a fresh perspective, comprehensive and enlightening, in one of television's most intriguing series. Source: ABC and SpoilerFix.com

Sounds pretty good. I know some people who just started watching Lost around ep 6 or so, so they have no clue what went on with the hatch at the start of this season.
    So we've waited for over a month for a new episode and the one they choose to give us is one of those cheesy review shows and not a "new" show. I always hated those on any tv show. To me it's a cop out and a way to get a "new" show without having to actually produce one.

Man, I was sick of how they did us last year, new, new, new, repeate, new, repeat, new, new, repeat.
    And now this year we go almost 6 weeks without a new show. To me it makes it lose the excitement and the continuity to throw these repeats in the middle.

Just give us the damn show in a shortened season if that is the case and dont' repeat things until after we've seen all the new ones.

This is the thing that truly bugs me the most about this show. We LOVE the show, but we get tired of having to wait and I think that unless you are a dedicated viewer (like those of us on the Fort), it loses viewers. I had gotten my friend to finally start watching this season and she has since given up on it as she says that with the repeats of what shes already seen, she's bored. But she never saw season one either, although I'm trying to get her to watch the DVD.

Quit with the repeats, quit with the rehashing and give us NEW-NEW episodes already!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic
    isnt lost on at 9 in america?
    they did this with the 1st episode of this season. at 8 they showed the last episode of season one and then went right into the 1st episode of season 2 at 9. this is kind of what they are going to do on the 11th.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Yep, the recap ep is at 8, and the new ep is at 9. I think it's actually good, as it gives new viewers a chance to catch up quickly.

And I think this ep raises the total number of season 2 eps to 25 (23 normal eps, the ep before MoS,MoF to recap S1, and this recap ep).

FORT Fanatic
    an article here in a local newspaper - interviewing naveen andrews (sayid)

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...512280312/1076

Posted on: Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Actor in the zeitgeist

By Michael Tsai
    Advertiser Staff Writer

On issues ranging from religion to tabloids, "Lost" co-star Naveen Andrews doesn't pull any punches.

As "Lost" star Naveen Andrews sees it, people simply need to wake up.

To the inherent racism of Hollywood.

To the trapdoors of dogma and religious extremism.

To the brutalization of women in paternalistic societies.

To media that erode our ability to think critically.

To sexual hypocrisy as rife in America as it is in England.

(You know, for starters.)

And if awakening is the order of the day, Andrews, as unfailingly gracious as he is unapologetically outspoken, is all too happy to bang the pan, rouse the rooster, and boil the double-espresso.

The 36-year-old actor spent a few minutes with The Advertiser during his appearance at the Honolulu Marathon Expo. Needless to say, it was an eye-opening exchange.

Q. Judging by all the activity in the English tabloids, "Lost" has really taken hold back home.

A. It's huge in England. I'm an actor, not a celebrity, so I'd like to concentrate as much as I can on the work (and not on) any of the stuff that comes in those hideous magazines, which just seems to encourage people to sit back and not think for themselves. I think those kinds of magazines encourage people to know their own place and stay where they are, which is really disgusting, especially in this current age. I can't even take them seriously. They're a joke.

Q. You've taken your share of lumps from the tabloids over the years.

A. I've had it since I was first getting known in England, about 1992 or 1993, just because I had a relationship with my teacher, who was 15 years older than me. As far as I'm concerned, that's normal in Europe, for people to have relationships with older women. It's only in America that they have an allergy about that, because when it's the other way around, nobody says a (expletive) thing. I call that hypocrisy.

Q. Given your experiences with the media, how do you respond to what Michelle Rodriguez is going through now with her DUI arrest?

A. I'm an alcoholic, although I don't drink anymore and I haven't in a long while. It's a very human mistake. It can happen to you or to anyone. Just because she's in the public eye, there's a different kind of scrutiny. I feel a lot of sympathy for her at the moment.

Q. What turned it around for you? What finally made you get sober?

A. I had no choice. It was either get sober or go down the toilet very quickly. It wasn't like I wanted to save my career or do this or do that; it was basically "save your life."

Q. How long has it been since you've had a drink?

A. It's been three years.

Q. You play Menerith in the new TV miniseries version of "The Ten Commandments" (now in post-production). What can you tell us about that project?

A. Our version of the story of Moses is a little more subversive. Our Moses is portrayed as a nut case. What would you think if someone tells you that they've been speaking to a burning bush and God was talking to them? I mean, God basically orders genocide in the name of "You do what I tell you." It's the study of dogma. Especially in this day and age of the rise of Christian fundamentalism in the west and Islamic fundamentalism in the east, it seems that we're being called to the extremes and we're all stuck in the middle. You know we don't want any part of it. I think it's very relevant in a way.

Q. Are you religious?

A. (Pulls a cross pendant from inside his shirt) I was brought up heavily (religious). My mom was a Christian maniac, but like many people I don't follow any established religion. I believe there are many ways to God, not just Christianity.

Q. How was it working with Omar Sharif?

A. He had already shot all of his scenes before I got there. It was a shame, because my mom loved Omar Sharif. I will actually get to see him when we do this publicity tour in a month's time.

Q. You also have a new film coming out, "Provoked," in which you play an abusive husband. That seems like quite a departure for you.

A. It's a true story of an ordinary, homely Indian woman, not very rich, probably from what might be considered the lower social orders, who has an arranged marriage with this guy in London. She comes over, doesn't speak any English, and he just beats the (expletive) out of her. This is pretty prevalent in our culture, not just in the East but in the West as well.

Domestic violence is a problem everywhere. He was an alcoholic and he just used to beat the crap out of her until she basically wouldn't take it anymore and (expletive) burned him — poured kerosene over him and killed the (expletive). You know, that's quite controversial for people in India, because the man is still top dog and any kind of threat to that kind of authority is, I don't know, they get freaked out about that. So that was good to do.

I loved it because it was part of my background as well, to be honest. I grew up in a very traditional household where the man is supposed to be a symbol of something. It seems that so many men fall victim to trying to be this thwarted sort of ideal of masculinity — and it's a load of bullocks. It's a lie.

Q. People are crediting "Lost" with bringing ethnic and cultural diversity to prime-time TV at a level that hasn't been seen before — people from different backgrounds not just present but interacting in meaningful ways.

A. We do live in a world that is populated by people who are other than white. We are using the medium of television to make that clear to the Hollywood studio system, which is inherently racist and always has been. There is a different kind of reality to be portrayed — and it's the real one.

Q. With the release of "Memoirs of a Geisha," people are looking at the issue of cultural appropriation again — Hollywood doing a film about a Japanese subculture, Chinese actresses playing Japanese roles. How do you feel about this, given that you've enjoyed a lot of success playing characters of other races.

A. I have to be fair. I play an Egyptian prince in "The Ten Commandments." That would not have happened if I had been in England. They would have said, "We'll get an Egyptian." And this part here, Sayid, he's Iraqi. He's a good example of (how) you are able to stretch and do radically different roles. It's not just Hollywood, it's the English as well, they're just as (expletive) up about it and they pretend they're not.

At least Americans say they'll call a spade a spade. The English are a bit more hypocritical about it. In (Sayid), we were all pretty nervous in the sense that we all felt we owed a real obligation, not just to Iraqis but the entire Arab world about how this character would be played.

One of the biggest kicks was getting a letter from the Arab League saying how pleased they were about this. It was the first time they had seen an Arab character like that on TV. He's romantic, and not just to other Arab women but to white women as well, which is a big no-no in Hollywood. It's all right for a white geezer to be with a black woman or a Chinese woman, but never the other way around. And we do that on this show. That's what we need to see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    Yep, the recap ep is at 8, and the new ep is at 9. I think it's actually good, as it gives new viewers a chance to catch up quickly.

And I think this ep raises the total number of season 2 eps to 25 (23 normal eps, the ep before MoS,MoF to recap S1, and this recap ep).
    I'm confused. Are you referring to tonight? My tv guide and yahoo say both epsiodes are repeats.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I'm confused. Are you referring to tonight? My tv guide and yahoo say both epsiodes are repeats.
    They were referring to the episode that airs on January 11th. The first episode is a recap epi similiar to what they did for the first season. That airs at 8pm. The second episode is the new episode which starts at 9pm.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

..an article here in a local newspaper - interviewing naveen andrews (sayid)
    Thanks Bell for the interview! It sure is interesting. I like the fact that Naveen's not afraid to speak his mind; call it outspoken if you wish. At least he doesn't follow the namby-pamby celebrity mantra stuff. He has several good points. Maybe people do need to be rattled up a bit about a few things going on in the world.

I don't agree with his DUI comment on Michelle, however.
    there's a different kind of scrutiny
    . I scrutinize every drunk driver the same way. Naveen said he is an alcoholic and managed to "save his life". That's great! But, I think Michelle should admit she has a problem and do something about it rather than driving around and possibly hurting herself or others.

I won't forget to mention the fact that Sayid sure is hot on LOST!
    It was the first time they had seen an Arab character like that on TV. He's romantic, and not just to other Arab women but to white women as well,...
    . Points for breaking sterotypes.

You play Menerith in the new TV miniseries version of "The Ten Commandments...Our Moses is portrayed as a nut case.
    That should be quite the show! Anyone know when it is on, if it is in post-production now?

...just because I had a relationship with my teacher, who was 15 years older than me...
    He would have been about 22 or so at the time...so, that's a problem? I agree. If it was the other way around it wouldn't have been an issue.

You also have a new film coming out, "Provoked," in which you play an abusive husband....she basically wouldn't take it anymore and (expletive) burned him poured kerosene over him and killed the (expletive). ..You know, that's quite controversial for people in India..
    Ummm.. Yes,really. It's usually the other way around.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    In Britain Channel 4 delayed Lost and showed the full Desperate Housewives season first. Four episodes in and I'm hooked already. Even the littlest thing, you wonder what significance it has to the plot. One big drawback of the internet though is that I can't resist spoilers so I'm sure to come back here in September to see what's happening.
    One thing which did strike me is that Dominic Monaghan used the word "bollocks" in I think the first episode. The producers obviously didn't know it's a fairly ripe swear word in Britain! Let me put it this way, a man has two and a woman doesn't!

this has noting to do with lost sorry but belfast isnt in britain in all fairness its on the irish isle and it is classed as ireland i dont want to start a argument but i hate been called a brit when im irish

FORT Fogey
    Said's interview is exactly why I do NOT like to read actors "emotional streaptease" if you will.

They are in the spotlight so they have a TRIPLE responsibility to the fans who make them famous. People, like it or not. look up to them.

I don't know... I don't want to know that he was an alcoholic, I do not want to know that MR is drunk and hit and run driver. Say what you want but I can't look at MR's character the same as before. I don't want to hear someone mentioning racism again. I don't want to know that he slept with his teacher.

Yes, I know the problems do exist in the society. We hear about them 24/7 on the news. But we turn to TV fantasies to ESCAPE these problems, at least for an hour a week.

So please keep the mystery, don't spill all your stuff that is better kept private.Let us enjoy the CHARACTERS the actors play and the series itself.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Justafan1; 12-28-2005 at 07:55 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by belfastboyo View Post
    this has noting to do with lost sorry but belfast isnt in britain in all fairness its on the irish isle and it is classed as ireland i dont want to start a argument but i hate been called a brit when im irish

when is lost startin again in ireland

+ Reply to Thread