+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    I THINK DJ was also in that movie where they had to go to the center of the earth, can't recall the name of it right now though.
    You're thinking of The Core with Hillary Swank. He played a computer geek in that movie too. Maybe he belongs on the boards with us!
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gracie View Post
    You're thinking of The Core with Hillary Swank. He played a computer geek in that movie too. Maybe he belongs on the boards with us!
    Ah, but maybe he IS on the boards with us! How would we ever know? Hmmm, maybe he's YOU, gracie! Or Canada Champ? Or Twiddler? Or me? Or....dum de dum dum... Qboots!?! Those of us who don't go to FORT conventions don't even really know each others' sexes, much less looks.
    I like to think at least one of the LOST cast takes his/her computer to the beach and browses FORT. Ah ha! This would explain how Qboots always catches the subtle stuff--Q isn't really 50 times more observant than anyone else, plus possessing file cabinets full of notes; nope, Q is actually there! I feel SO much better!

In Hurley's first flashback they showed him watching TV when they revealed the winning numbers and his immediate reaction to that. But I also remember in that same first flashback episode that they showed his family in front of their house annoucing they were the winners with a plethora of camera crews. My question is, was Hurley's second flashback the period between him learning he was the winner and the media spectacle? I would like to think so, but it seemed, as much as anything on a tv show can, that the first flashback kept events pretty close together.

Just curious.

Hurley's two episodes featuring his backstory had two, albeit related, purposes which were relevant to the shows they were included within.

In Season One, his flashback showed his lifestyle pre-numbers/lotto win, how he came to get the numbers in the first place, established that he used them in the lottery and won, and then the fallout of winning ... loss of anonymity, new house burning down, the box company investment being destroyed and many people out of work, the plane crash, etc. The message in that episode was that the "numbers were cursed". The time span covered pre-winning to post-winning and how he came to be on the doomed Oceanic 815 flight.

In Season Two, the message we were to glean from Hurley's backstory was that "change is bad" and "change will cause people to not like him any more". The scenes in "Everybody hates Hugo" were clearly from a condensed time period starting at the moment he learned that he had won the lottery to the period prior to claiming his winnings when he was "outed' as the winner -- leading to his subsequent lifestyle change and ensuing string of bad luck.

What I didn't understand was why HE wasn't excited about winning and why he was so fearful of change. He had no obvious reason to fear the future as his present was so dreary and bleak (bad job he just quit, living with his verbally abusive mother, no girlfriend, etc.).
    Last edited by getreal; 12-10-2005 at 03:15 PM.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Well you have to remember, Hurley was in a mental hospital. For what, we still don't know. I think the answer to 'why does he fear change' and 'why was he in the hospital' might be related. So we're probably going to find out those answers either nearing the end of this season, or sometime in season 3.

FORT Fanatic
    probably in the next hurley-centric episode. which for all we know, like you said, could be next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    Well you have to remember, Hurley was in a mental hospital. For what, we still don't know. I think the answer to 'why does he fear change' and 'why was he in the hospital' might be related. So we're probably going to find out those answers either nearing the end of this season, or sometime in season 3.
    I agree with you and hope you are right that we will get some explanation. There are so many threads to this show that some are bound to be left untied at the end.

I question, being so overly-fearful of change, would he be buying a ticket to one of the biggest life-altering experiences out there? That's the part I have trouble with.
    But then, when I start thinking about this show, I waaaay overthink it.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 12-11-2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: stopped to tuck in my nine-year-old
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99 View Post
    as i stated about 70 pages ago, hes the guy from "The New Guy" with eliza dushku (drooooooool)
    sorry everyone who thought this was degrading or 'mean'. did not mean it that way! sorry!

Dude ... I don't think it's degrading to drool over Eliza Dushku.

Josh Holloway is going to be in a movie next year called Hellion. Here is the link for those who are curious. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435528/plotsummary
    I personally can't wait to see it.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread