+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

I am very very confident that this is as Hepcat suggested. Merely another day's shoot. The producers would never pay attention to detail enough to intentionally make each film splice differently to introduce a clue about why they would be different. During the "making of" of Lost Season 1, they said that people on the internet were very quick on criticizing a bad shot of a polar bear attacking, and that they had to reshoot that scene for that reason. I really think that in the game of nitpicks, we (the internet folks) are ahead on them (the producers), meaning that, more often than not, if a small detail can be explained away as either production difficulty or clever hint left by the producers, it's going to be a production difficulty.

In fact I am almost sure that the person in charge of continuity was on the ball on this one, but just had too much trouble retying the tie at exactly the same spot for the stripes to match. Also it looks like the aging techniques used for the film were not correctly duplicated, and they had to start over to approximate the effect as much as possible.
    Last edited by Zaius; 12-03-2005 at 01:17 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    well...heres the link to our local hawaii newspaper...has an article about rodriguez and watros about their DUI arrest. got their mug shot. boy do they look wasted. lol.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...0361/1010/NEWS
    Yowza! Cynthia looks scarier than the Others!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    I am very very confident that this is as Hepcat suggested. Merely another day's shoot. The producers would never pay attention to detail enough to intentionally make each film splice differently to introduce a clue about why they would be different. During the "making of" of Lost Season 1, they said that people on the internet were very quick on criticizing a bad shot of a polar bear attacking, and that they had to reshoot that scene for that reason. I really think that in the game of nitpicks, we (the internet folks) are ahead on them (the producers), meaning that, more often than not, if a small detail can be explained away as either production difficulty or clever hint left by the producers, it's going to be a production difficulty.

In fact I am almost sure that the person in charge of continuity was on the ball on this one, but just had too much trouble retying the tie at exactly the same spot for the stripes to match. Also it looks like the aging techniques used for the film were not correctly duplicated, and they had to start over to approximate the effect as much as possible.
    This is all good thinking, but didn't the film say 1981 on it? If the picture of Sayid being taken away by the US military was during the Gulf War then that was 1990/1991. How do we know an original tape wasn't made earlier and then the spliced part made?

Sorry...I don't know exactly where my train of thought is going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jette66 View Post
    This is all good thinking, but didn't the film say 1981 on it? If the picture of Sayid being taken away by the US military was during the Gulf War then that was 1990/1991. How do we know an original tape wasn't made earlier and then the spliced part made?

Sorry...I don't know exactly where my train of thought is going with this.
    Well, the actor hasn't aged between the splices. I'm not sure why you mentioned Sayid though, could you explain what you meant by mentioning him?

Also, I am not saying for sure that the spliced part wasn't made at another time, I'm just saying it's more likely than not that the differences are because of a different shoot on a different day. The speaker's train of thought pretty much matches the parts that have been spliced off. You'll hear his intonations are the beginning and end of the cut parts to match what is being taken out. The actual things he says are also very contextual to the original film.
    Last edited by Zaius; 12-03-2005 at 02:45 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    Well, the actor hasn't aged between the splices. I'm not sure why you mentioned Sayid though, could you explain what you meant by mentioning him?

Also, I am not saying for sure that the spliced part wasn't made at another time, I'm just saying it's more likely than not that the differences are because of a different shoot on a different day. The speaker's train of thought pretty much matches the parts that have been spliced off. You'll hear his intonations are the beginning and end of the cut parts to match what is being taken out. The actual things he says are also very contextual to the original film.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a case of them (not the Hanso people, but rather the LOST people) shooting the footage we saw a little while ago, while the footage from 'Orientation' was probably shot this past summer.

After all, a great TV show with a fascinating story and background IS, after all, JUST a TV show. They're not perfect.

But what irks me is WHY did they not just shoot all of the scenes with ol' Fake Hand all at once? It couldn't be because they didn't know what was going to be in that footage. The importance of it is too....well...important! They've gone on record saying that they know the major stories for this season and the upcomming ones, and the whole 'communicating with someone through the computer' seems to me like a big one.

About Sayid appearing on the TV at the army base, I've already mentioned why it couldn't have been in connection with his friend Essam's attempted terrorist attack in Sydney. I also highly doubt it was from the first gulf war either. (Unless the TV was playing old footage for a documentary or something.) I believe in this week's flashbacks Kate mentioned she was 24. If she was 24 during the first gulf war, she'd be what, about 37 now? And the marshal would have been chasing her for 13 years?

No, I'll bet that Sayid footage was about something else altogether, something we don't know about yet. Remember last season we saw Hurley on a TV during a Jin flashback? That was before Hurley got his own episode and we learned of his lottery win. I'll bet the next Sayid-centric episode will contain flashbacks of whatever we saw on that military TV.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fan
    Just curious, but in Kate's flashbacks last season with her and the Marhsal and the Marshal finally capturing her, didn't he say how long he was chasing her? That would tell us the approx date of when Sayid was on TV because that was basically the starting day of the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99 View Post
    Just curious, but in Kate's flashbacks last season with her and the Marhsal and the Marshal finally capturing her, didn't he say how long he was chasing her? That would tell us the approx date of when Sayid was on TV because that was basically the starting day of the chase.
    Thanks for reminding me Jeff! The marshal did mention that in the first part of last season's finale. He said he'd been chasing her for 3 years, and that Tom's death was "a couple years ago".

So that puts Wayne's death in 2001 and Tom's death about 2002 and Kate must be 27 now.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fan
    so now QBoots, do we know anything about Sayid from 3 years ago, why he would be on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99 View Post
    so now QBoots, do we know anything about Sayid from 3 years ago, why he would be on TV?
    You've really got me scanning through my notes now!

No, I don't think we know anything about him from 3 years ago. He was in the Republican Guard in the first gulf war, which would be about 13 years ago. (I'm basing my calculations on it still being 2004 on the island.) We know he was still with the Republican Guard 7 years ago (1997) because he told Danielle he had been carrying Nadia's photo for 7 years. He got it while he was "interrogating" Nadia. And we know that directly before the flight he was working with the CIA to prevent a terrorist attack in Sydney. But we don't know what happened to him between 1997 and 2004.

Another tidbit from my notes: it was 1989 when Tom & "Katie" buried their time capsule. (Kate would be 12.) On the cassette tape they recorded, Kate mentions she wants to get away from there as soon as she's old enough to drive. Tom asks why and she says "You know why." There's been a lot of speculation that Wayne may have molested Kate. If so, it must have happened by the time she was 12, because something made her want to run away. So why was she still living around there when she was 24?

And my other question is: why did she try to buy a bus ticket to Tallahassee after she killed Wayne? Bus stations are very public. She had a motorcycle. Wayne and Diane lived in Iowa. She could have taken back roads to the next state, and then ditched the bike and caught a bus to Florida. Oh well, maybe she believed nobody would suspect her.

+ Reply to Thread