+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

JFlo: You brought up a lot of good points, some of which have already been addressed by others:

You mention Jack having been thrown farther from the wreckage than most of the others. I have seen people wonder about that before but I don't find it too odd myself. People sometimes get thrown quite a distance form a car crash; when a plane comes hurtling down from the sky I don't think it's unrealistic to find the bodies/debris strewn over a mile or so. The bigger question is how did any of these folks survive at all?

You were also wondering about the problem with Shannon's age. In one of last season's episodes, Shannon told Hurley she was 20. In her recent flashback episode we learned she was 18 at the time of her father's death. This puts the Sarah/Mr. Rutherford car crash at 2 years ago. But in one of Jack's flashbacks, we saw Sarah saying that 2 years ago she was in a car crash and now she's getting married to the doctor that fixed her. That would put Jack & Sarah's wedding at the present time, which can't be right.

Your most intriguing comment regarded Cindy. I can't believe I missed that! Cindy was at the very front of the plane trying to get Charlie out of the bathroom, so how did she end up clear on the other side of the island with the tailies?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    Did you notice how on both sides of the island at the time of the crash there was a clean-shaven, well-dressed, adaptable "Other" ready to go and blend in with the survivors?
    Saying there were Others available "at the time of the crash" isn't quite right. It certainly is correct on the tailies side of the island (Goodwin), but on the fuselage side Ethan didn't appear until episode 9 which was approximately day 11 or 12 on the island. This probably indicates that the tailies landed extremely close to where The Others were based, and it took The Others awhile to find the fuselage survivors. Or maybe Ethan wasn't even an Other. But still, how was Goodwin so neat and tidy when the rest of his crew seem to be so dishevelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    We've discussed this before in the Season 1 thread - maybe Qboots will remember the gist of it - but, I think the viewers were led to understand in one of the first few episodes, that Locke told his secret to Walt.
    Yes. We never saw an actual conversation, but Walt said that Locke told him about a miracle that happened to him on the island. But I really think if I was in Locke's situation, I'd tell everybody about my newly found ability to walk. Not sure why he's keeping it such a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by poutymouse
    Enough to have someone tracking her to Austrailia, plus all the cops who showed up when she was with Mackenzie Astin (what was his name...Qboots?...).
    Kate's sweetie is named Tom Brennan, I believe.

Has anybody heard that the national lottery in Ireland recently came up with these winners: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 24? Flip the last number and you've got some scary stuff!

For anybody who wants to view both the American and Canadian previews, go to http://www.lostlinks.net/ They have the best listing of links to all things LOST, arranged by category so you can quickly find something specific such as the seating chart, music that is used on the show, etc. Near the top of the page you will see "NEXT ON LOST" and that's where the previews are.

A small theory for the next ep, based on episode photos I have seen:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I think we will meet Kate's father in a flashback. She is seen hugging an older man in a military uniform. Hopefully this means she wasn't raped by her Dad - an idea I would hate. I think also we will see Sayid in the background at the same military installation where Kate visits her Dad.
    Last edited by Qboots; 11-27-2005 at 08:34 PM. Reason: I have a lot to say!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Saying there were Others available "at the time of the crash" isn't quite right. It certainly is correct on the tailies side of the island (Goodwin), but on the fuselage side Ethan didn't appear until episode 9 which was approximately day 11 or 12 on the island. This probably indicates that the tailies landed extremely close to where The Others were based, and it took The Others awhile to find the fuselage survivors. Or maybe Ethan wasn't even an Other. But still, how was Goodwin so neat and tidy when the rest of his crew seem to be so dishevelled?
    If Ethan had appeared on episode 9 for the survivors, it wouldn't have taken a comparison of the flight manifest and a roll call to figure out he didn't belong. They would have recognized a new face.

I'm pretty sure that he appeared immediately after the crash, and that after hanging around with them, they got used to him, and it took Hurley's check to find him out. Let me see if I can find it in that episode's transcript and make sure.

ETA: The transcript for the episodes that had that storyline didn't really talk about when they first saw him, making it seem like they've always had him around. They just kept saying he wasn't on the list.
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-27-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    JFlo:

You mention Jack having been thrown farther from the wreckage than most of the others. I have seen people wonder about that before but I don't find it too odd myself. People sometimes get thrown quite a distance form a car crash; when a plane comes hurtling down from the sky I don't think it's unrealistic to find the bodies/debris strewn over a mile or so. The bigger question is how did any of these folks survive at all?
    FYI - if you remember the pond/lake where kate/sawyer found the gun case and the two dead people strapped in their seat. that was FAR into the island so Jack's like 20 feet into the jungle isn't that big of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99 View Post
    FYI - if you remember the pond/lake where kate/sawyer found the gun case and the two dead people strapped in their seat. that was FAR into the island so Jack's like 20 feet into the jungle isn't that big of a deal
    We also don't know how many of the fuselage survivors may have wandered towards the beach from wherever they landed, just as Jack did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    If Ethan had appeared on episode 9 for the survivors, it wouldn't have taken a comparison of the flight manifest and a roll call to figure out he didn't belong. They would have recognized a new face.

I'm pretty sure that he appeared immediately after the crash, and that after hanging around with them, they got used to him, and it took Hurley's check to find him out. Let me see if I can find it in that episode's transcript and make sure.

ETA: The transcript for the episodes that had that storyline didn't really talk about when they first saw him, making it seem like they've always had him around. They just kept saying he wasn't on the list.
    Yeah, we don't know for sure when Ethan showed up. We can only speculate on that. My post was just stating what we as viewers actually saw: Goodwin was shown on the beach at the exact moment of the crash, all clean and neat and freshly shaven. It was a long time before we ever saw Ethan. (Episode 9) In episode 10 Hurley starts to realize that the survivors don't know each other and he starts his census. When he goes to question Ethan, he mistakenly calls him Lance. Leading me to speculate that perhaps Ethan wasn't around from day 1.

And since that doofus Charlie took it upon himself to murder Ethan, we'll probably never find out.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

It's a pretty big island. The fact that Goodwin was so close to the rear crash site so quickly leads me to speculate that he had to know to be on that very beach at that time. I can't buy that the tailers just happened by coincidence to crash close enough to where the Others were based, and that the Others had the foresight to infilitrate the group quickly enough (no more than what, 5 minutes) to make it seem as if the infilitrator crashed too. From his conversation with Ana Lucia, it's obvious that he is linked with an organization (most likely The Others, but possibly another one). And if he had prior information regarding that site, I don't think it's too much of a stretch that Ethan knew about the other site too, through this organization. Ethan's not wanting to send any flares could be a contributing factor to his lack of social interaction that led to Hurley not knowing his name.

I agree that this is speculation, but I have trouble accepting any alternative to the speculation that the Others knew when and where there would be a crash. I'm scared that logistics weren't on the mind of the writers when they planned that each group would have an infilitrator, though. I hope that the writers didn't sit around the table and come up with "Hey let's up the drama by having an Other among them!" without thinking through of the implications of that.
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-27-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Why does everyone hate AL so much? Did I miss something? She seems tormented and traumatized, but I feel more pity for her than anything else. My b/f DESPISES her, as does pretty much everyone else. Did I miss something? Her shooting Shannon was a mistake, and given what they'd been through, it could have happened to almost anyone. Ok, she's been bossing everyone around, that's just insecurity and being scared and looking for control.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Thanks QBoots for the clarification on a few of my questions, especially on Shannon's age. Everyone brings up valid points about Jack being thrown into the jungle when they crashed. I guess I would just like for it to have some sort of significance, but it's likely that it doesn't.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before , but the fact that Shannon had posters of Marky Mark on her walls the last time that Boone saw her room, would indicate that the series does not take place in 2004, right? Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch were at the height of their popularity in what?, 1992? Even if Shannon kept Wahlberg's Calvin Klein posters up well past his Funky Bunch career, and into his acting career (say Boogie Nights circa 1997), and say Boone hasn't seen her room in three years (which was probably more likely only a year or two), at the LATEST, that would put Shannon's father's death sometime in 2000. More likely, his death took place around '97 or '98, which taking into consideration the continuity error, would probably put the crash at 2000 or 2001. More importantly, the fact that Sayid even considers leaving his bag with Shannon at the airport, leads me to believe this is pre-9/11.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
    Thanks QBoots for the clarification on a few of my questions, especially on Shannon's age. Everyone brings up valid points about Jack being thrown into the jungle when they crashed. I guess I would just like for it to have some sort of significance, but it's likely that it doesn't.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before , but the fact that Shannon had posters of Marky Mark on her walls the last time that Boone saw her room, would indicate that the series does not take place in 2004, right? Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch were at the height of their popularity in what?, 1992? Even if Shannon kept Wahlberg's Calvin Klein posters up well past his Funky Bunch career, and into his acting career (say Boogie Nights circa 1997), and say Boone hasn't seen her room in three years (which was probably more likely only a year or two), at the LATEST, that would put Shannon's father's death sometime in 2000. More likely, his death took place around '97 or '98, which taking into consideration the continuity error, would probably put the crash at 2000 or 2001. More importantly, the fact that Sayid even considers leaving his bag with Shannon at the airport, leads me to believe this is pre-9/11.

Hmm, good points. About the Shannon room thing, was it explained that it was her CURRENT room? I dont recall, but maybe they said (or implied) that Shannon was living somewhere else at the time? When kids move out of the nest, whether it be to their own house, or to college, they usually want the parents to keep their old room to look the exact same as when they left.

Ya know....I've been thinking....Danielle and her crew were lead to the island by a radio transmission that kept saying the numbers, right? Well....what if Eko's surprise for Locke this week is that, in fact, he was on this island before and he was the one who made the radio transmission that lead Danielle to the island?

+ Reply to Thread