+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    One thing I don't think has been commented on except in passing is what was going on with Jack and Kate before Sawyer came back. The crosscutting between the idyllic golfing scene and Eko carrying the wounded Sawyer and all the drama in the woods was great TV, but it kind of drowned out our noticing that Kate and Jack seemed to be getting on really well, joking around, etc. (I loved the line where Kate asked if he played golf, and he said, Kate! I'm a DOCTOR!). Kate seemed to be moving on, and Jack seemed to be trusting her again. And then when Sawyer returns wounded and Kate is doing her whisper in the ear thing, Jack looked really hurt.
    I know, not the great philosophical good and evil debate, but the romances help keep the show alive, too!
    Last edited by PWS; 11-26-2005 at 11:27 PM.

I'm already psyched up for Wednesday's episode. (It is on, right?) Can't wait.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    One thing I don't think has been commented on except in passing is what was going on with Jack and Kate before Sawyer came back. The crosscutting between the idyllic golfing scene and Eko carrying the wounded Sawyer and all the drama in the woods was great TV, but it kind of drowned out our noticing that Kate and Jack seemed to be getting on really well, joking around, etc. (I loved the line where Kate asked if he played golf, and he said, Kate! I'm a DOCTOR!). Kate seemed to be moving on, and Jack seemed to be trusting her again. And then when Sawyer returns wounded and Kate is doing her whisper in the ear thing, Jack looked really hurt.
    I know, not the great philosophical good and evil debate, but the romances help keep the show alive, too!

I am enjoying the romantic jaunts as well! And, I am eagerly awaiting this next episode where (in the previews), you see Jack leaning over Sawyer and Sawyer says "I love her" - Jack assumes he means Kate and says "You mean Kate?" Well, I think he could mean Kate, or Ana - maybe Sawyer really is smitten with her. Which is funny, because he doesn't know that she was a cop, and here he is a con man.

JFlo
    Yes, I would like to go on record as saying that I think Locke is a great character as well. But like I said, I don't trust him. I think he would sacrifice anyone and anything for the island and it's power. And until he does fess up to someone about his legs, I doubt that I will feel differently.
    We've discussed this before in the Season 1 thread - maybe Qboots will remember the gist of it - but, I think the viewers were led to understand in one of the first few episodes, that Locke told his secret to Walt.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius View Post
    JFlo I agree with you on everything except A-L. I don't deny that she is a realistic character, but I just plain don't like her. I wish I did.

My interest in this show lies in the backstory. I believe this is all a big ongoing experiment that has to do with fate, and that the characters are either being tested or "guided" by events to lead them straight to a wanted resolution. I also believe that whoever is behind all this (probably Alvar Hanso) knew that the plane would crash there.

Did you notice how on both sides of the island at the time of the crash there was a clean-shaven, well-dressed, adaptable "Other" ready to go and blend in with the survivors? We still don't know the cause of the crash, or if the pilot wasn't in on it (unlikely since he was killed, but perhaps he is a sacrifice to the Security System for the good of the Plan) It's also interesting that so many people associated with so much of the supernatural were united, or should I say assembled on the island: Walt and his eerie abilities, Claire and her remarkably accurate astrologer, Hurley's more-than-coincidental use of the doomed numbers, previously used and regretted by the Australian man etc...This seems so set up that I think maybe the Others that have been found and killed were meant to be found and killed by the man running the show.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

Right, that went through my head too. If you consider how many characters have flaws about their past that they need to fix, the Oz analogy can just run away on you.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I apologize if this was already posted and I missed it.
    Just saw this Q & A between Damon Lindelof and Murtz Jaffer
    http://tv.insidepulse.com/articles/44411

MJ: Speaking of that plan, I know that Javier Grillo-Marxuach (supervising producer) said that you had a plan in place for several years in advance. When you told me that you basically have to write every episode in a week, how does the dichotomy work between having a plan and producing episodes so quickly.

DL: We always use the roadmap analogy which is basically that you do it season by season. There is the Rand McNally atlas of the world and that book is basically the entire series. Prior to that, every page is a map and we have a destination and that's a season. How you're going to get to a certain place and what route you're going to take... are we going to take the northern route? Are we going to take a rural road? Are we going to go through St. Louis? That is the sort of day-to-day amorphous process where we know that there are stories that we are going to tell but we don't know when we are going to tell them or how they all relate to each other. Nobody can come up with a plan that detailed and obviously that plan is contingent upon so many variables like whether or not its working. You can have an original design like it would be really cool if Shannon and Charlie hooked up. Then you see a scene between Charlie and Claire and you go 'wow, there's something there that I am really interested in writing toward so let's do that.' People might label that as making it up as you go along, but we say that the show is an organic thing and there has to be some degree of improv in the plan. It's like when you hear a band play a song that you love. When they play it live, it's great if they do something that they haven't done on the album that you have listened to a billion times. People want to be surprised. We have so many creative partners in the show, including the actors, that the actors do things all the time that you didn't put on the page or didn't anticipate and you just go 'that's great, I am going to start writing to that.'

FORT Newbie
    Awesome episode on the whole, my favorite of the season. Some nitpicks:

Anyone else find it a little silly that Kate was standing on the beach driving golf balls towards camp? Or that Jack, who's generally such a party-pooper, didn't seem to worry about the fact that Rose nearly had her skull cracked by the one Kate hooked?

It also bothered me throughout the show that Anna Lucia was handling the gun in a way entirely inconsistent with her background. A firearm isn't a toy, and no professional trained in its use would play, for example, with the magazine release. On the same note, Mama Lucia tells Anna that McCormack, "put four bullets into you, hollow-points through your vest!" The writer, not knowing any better, selected the scariest bullet he'd ever heard of not realising that it's the round ballistically least likely to penetrate kevlar.

Do they employ a technical advisor?

Quote Originally Posted by Cjay View Post
    On the same note, Mama Lucia tells Anna that McCormack, "put four bullets into you, hollow-points through your vest!" The writer, not knowing any better, selected the scariest bullet he'd ever heard of not realising that it's the round ballistically least likely to penetrate kevlar.
    I thought about that as well but chalked it up the viewer assuming her vest stopped them all. If she really was physically shot in the chest four times, I would imagine that AL wouldn't be pulling off that low cut tank top without any visible scarring.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    I apologize if this was already posted and I missed it.
    Just saw this Q & A between Damon Lindelof and Murtz Jaffer
    http://tv.insidepulse.com/articles/44411

MJ: Speaking of that plan, I know that Javier Grillo-Marxuach (supervising producer) said that you had a plan in place for several years in advance. When you told me that you basically have to write every episode in a week, how does the dichotomy work between having a plan and producing episodes so quickly.

DL: (bla bla bla... )People might label that as making it up as you go along,
    Yes, because that's what you guys are doing. Everytime I read something like this, I fell more and more like this show is going to end up in the crapper.

but we say that the show is an organic thing and there has to be some degree of improv in the plan.
    This translates to me as: "We don't have a frickin' clue HAHAHA LOLZ OMG!!!11".

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Right you are. I was referring to Michelle Rodriguez. My phone rang and I didn't stop to proofread what I wrote.

I also believe that Mr. Eko (that's the spelling on ABC's Lost site) is spiritual. I am hoping that he is more Shaman than standard clergy. I would find this much more interesting.
    That was my thinking that I probably didn't quite explain in a previous post. I am thinking he was raised in a tribal setting in Africa, probably had some shaman/medicine man wisdom, then when the missionaries (I do think its missionaries as I always hear about them going to Africa to save the savages) came and educated him, then probably converted him and he became a priest or minister and has qualities of both tribal shaman and Christian minister/priest.

You know a LOT of our Christian traditions stem from once pagan rituals or ceremonies and the first Christian/Catholic Priests were smart enough to realize that to convert the masses of pagans, they had to include some of their previous customs into the new religon. A LOT of our Christmas traditions like the tree, wreath, evergreens date back to pagan beliefs.
    There are lots of other ones, but I can't remember them all and am too lazy today to go searching on the web.

But I think this is what Mr. Eko is. A combo of tribal/Christian with elements of both religions in his making and who he is today. I think this will come out much later.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread