+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

What the BLEEP do we know tigergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    And remember how Locke wanted to do his walkabout thing, studied all the survival skills, wanting to know what we are speculating Eko may have grown up knowing...and then Eko studies to know what Locke grew up knowing? Ok, getting carried away here.
    It just occurred to me - there hasn't been significant interaction between Locke and Sayid that I remember, so I never put them together...but it's interesting that in order to escape from his life, Locke was going on a walkabout. And when Sayid needed to escape from his life situation at the moment (after torturing Sawyer), he took off to "walkabout" the island. Interesting what could have happened if he hadn't turned around and come back - he might have met up with AL and friends much earlier.

Hello Lost Ones,

Some random thoughts, questions and theory. I have not read the entire thread, only the last 15 pages or so, so forgive me if some of this stuff has been asked or said before.

1. In the season 1 pilot, any theory as to why Jack woke up in the jungle, so far away from the beach? I am really hoping that will be explained.

2. I rewatched the flashbacks of the crash, and I find it interesting that when Charlie left the first class bathroom, it does not look like he traveled very far to get to a seat and an oxygen mask. It looks to me like he only got to the back of first class, which makes it even more of a miracle that he survived. In part 2 of the pilot, Shannon mentions being kicked out of first, which saved she and Boone's lives. Of course, they both end up dying anyway, which leads me to wonder if perhaps they were never meant to live, as none of the first class passengers did, but Charlie was meant to live, because he was originally seated in the middle of the plane. For that matter, how did Cindy get to the back of the plane so quickly?

3. Do we really know that Mr. Ecko's name is pronounced and spelled as such? Is it possible that Sawyer misunderstood him. I could have sworn I heard Ana Lucia pronounce it Eckol (or Ekcol, which of course is Locke spelled backwards).

4. Speaking of Ecko, I can't wait to find out what his story is. My husband and I predict that he is a priest or missionary. Whatever he is, I think his travels must have led him to tribal cultures, from which he has become so obviously in tune with. I LOVED how he automatcially kicked into survival mode after that first Others attack. Survival of the fittest. His first meeting with Locke was interesting to say the least. Anyone out there get the impression that Ecko's first reaction was that he didn't quite trust Locke? In season 1 there was a lot of talk by Locke about black and white, good and evil. I get the impression that Ecko, although he appears all savage, is the real peacemaker/wise man here, and Locke, who likes to appear so wise and peacelike, is the one with the real anger issues. (His flashbacks allude to such). I will go on record as saying I DO NOT TRUST LOCKE. I didn't in the beginning and still don't. He has made several comments which lead me to believe that he will be the driving force behind the survivors breaking off into factions. He has found different ways to bond with several of the survivors, which seems completely calculated to me. His fascination with the Hatch is sick (If Rose doesn't like the hatch, then neither do I) I think I trust Ana Lucia more than I do Locke.

5. Which leads me to the ever so controversial Miss Ana Lucia. I LOVE HER. I think that she and Ecko have brought to the show a strong dose of reality that was much needed. When I watch really good writing and acting, I love to try to put myself in the place of a character (and I have to say, my husband and I thought that the Tailies episode was perhaps the best hour of television we have ever seen). AL's aggressiveness may rub people the wrong way, but I thing her "kill or be killed attitude" is completely justifiable, and not because of her backstory, but because of the those scary ass people out in the jungle that are abducting their group! I loved the instant sparks between she and Jack in the airport lounge, the leaders' summit, if you will. And I for one found the final scene of last week's epsiode incredibly powerful. All at once, without any words, it evoked from me a feeling of saddness, excitement and dread.

6. I think the much needed paradox of chaos and balance have been brought to the beach after last week's episode. The fuselage set has been practically living in the Garden of Eden compared to what the tailies have experienced. It's not unlike a Survivor merge, where one group "brings the game with them" (to quote Gabriel Cate from Survivor Marquesas). They've had it much easier, thanks to John Locke's ridiculous talent of hunting boar, Jin's fishing skills (of course we never actually see them eat) having the luxury of all of the luggage on board, and most importantly, safety in numbers and protection from the Others thanks to that "Security System". But even with their cushy lifestyle, they have been living in denial of what is out there. They hear this monster thing in the jungle, but does that stop them from traveling alone? They know that there are others, but are they really trying to protect themselves? Claire was abducted! Don't they want to figure out a way to find out what happened to her? Whoever it was that suggested that Claire may be spying for The Others, may be on to something.

7. The reuniting of Jin and Sun and Bernard and Rose helped the island balance tremendously. Sun, the Earth Mother, and Jin the Water God are perhaps the most important people necessary for the group's survival (even more so then Jack and Locke, I'd say), and they are going to thrive even more so, now that they have forgiven each other. And I'm looking forward to seeing the dynamic between Bernard and Rose, one seems to be a Man of Science, the other, a Woman of Faith.

8. Anyone out there know why Sawyer seems to understand every word that Jin says? Did I miss something in his backstory?

9. Looking forward to finding out what happened to Kate. I think all indication seems to point to the theory that she killed her father, who may have been molesting her. This is the impression I got from listening to the cassette tape in her time capsule, and by the reaction her mother had to seeing her. Kate has never been one of my favorite characters, but I have high hopes for next week's episode.

10. It's too bad the writers missed out on a Waltcentric flashback episode before puberty set in. They really have a challenge to overcome with him, because he had a significant growth spurt this summer.

11. Can someone tell me what the continuity error was in regard to Shannon's age?

Well, that's all for now. I'm looking forward to joining future discussions.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Jflo, I agree with a lot of what you say, especially about the quality of writing and performance in this show.

Regarding Walt, I think the problem could have been avoided by making the character two years older at the beginning. That would have made him somewhere between twelve and thirteen. Hugh growth spurts in boys that age are far from rare. Of course, they could always still deal with it since the mysteries of the island are such that they could weave something like that into the story without a loss of credibility.

Where we do disagree, of course, is on Ana Lucia. She was vicious before the plane crash; she is still vicious. She is at least partially responsible for Boone's death in that she refused to allow the others in her group to respond to him, thereby causing him to remain in the plane too long. She is certainly responsible for Shannon's death. If Sawyer were to die, which I'm certain he won't, she would have been responsible for that one, too. Unless she has some miracle epiphany and undergoes a total transformation, I cannot see them making her redeemable for me.

I also believe the ML is the weakest of the actors in this show, but that's just my opinion.

I also believe the ML is the weakest of the actors in this show, but that's just my opinion.
    sorry... but who do you mean by ML?
    if my must-see-tv list gets any longer, I'm gonna have to quit my day job

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riblit View Post
    sorry... but who do you mean by ML?

Florimel probably meant MR.

And good thoughts, JFlo. About the Jin/Sawyer thing, no you didnt miss anything. I think we're just supposed to assume that Sawyer had heard Jin speak to Michael so much that he understands some of the words Jin speaks.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Where we do disagree, of course, is on Ana Lucia. She was vicious before the plane crash; she is still vicious. She is at least partially responsible for Boone's death in that she refused to allow the others in her group to respond to him, thereby causing him to remain in the plane too long. She is certainly responsible for Shannon's death. If Sawyer were to die, which I'm certain he won't, she would have been responsible for that one, too. Unless she has some miracle epiphany and undergoes a total transformation, I cannot see them making her redeemable for me.

the bold part i dont understand. even if AL allowed the group to respond to him he would still be on the plane longer trying to find out more. it didnt matter if she let them talked to them. it was his weight on the plane that cause it to fall. but if she is partially to blame...then its a minor one...cause we all know who's real fault it was...lockes for being stubborn and TPTB cause they no longer wanted the character on the show.

jflo...i also like AL...not what her character has done...but what she has brought to the show. hate, controversy, realism...she brings out lots of emotions from a lot of people on the show. she's a different character than what we see from the first group. i know a lot of people are hoping she gets killed soon, but i doubt it...she'll be here for a while. i have a feeling she'll play an integral part in this cast.

and about locke. i like him like how i like AL. great character. but i too don't trust him. for one, he hasn't been straight with his group at all. he wasn't honest about what happened to boone and what they were doing until jack/shannon asked sayid to ask/watch him. but the big rub is that locke didn't tell anyone about his pre-crash condition. why? or did i miss that. what if that happens again (legs failing him again...which led to boone being stubborn and going up to the plane). i know he might think its a divine intervention or something about the island - but here is a guy giving advice to people and he hasn't been honest himself.
    Last edited by bell; 11-26-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    and about locke. i like him like how i like AL. great character. but i too don't trust him. for one, he hasn't been straight with his group at all. he wasn't honest about what happened to boone and what they were doing until jack/shannon asked sayid to ask/watch him. but the big rub is that locke didn't tell anyone about his pre-crash condition. why? or did i miss that. what if that happens again (legs failing him again...which led to boone being stubborn and going up to the plane). i know he might think its a divine intervention or something about the island - but here is a guy giving advice to people and he hasn't been honest himself.
    Yes, I would like to go on record as saying that I think Locke is a great character as well. But like I said, I don't trust him. I think he would sacrifice anyone and anything for the island and it's power. And until he does fess up to someone about his legs, I doubt that I will feel differently. (Not to mention that Terry O'Quinn was "The Stepfather" )
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    You know, I'm watching The Mummy Returns, and one of the henchmen looked VERY familiar. I did some searching, and found out that he's played by none other than Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, otherwise known as Mr. Eko! I barely recognized him at first because he was clean shaven, and he looked kind of odd, having no facial hair.

JFlo I agree with you on everything except A-L. I don't deny that she is a realistic character, but I just plain don't like her. I wish I did.

My interest in this show lies in the backstory. I believe this is all a big ongoing experiment that has to do with fate, and that the characters are either being tested or "guided" by events to lead them straight to a wanted resolution. I also believe that whoever is behind all this (probably Alvar Hanso) knew that the plane would crash there.

Did you notice how on both sides of the island at the time of the crash there was a clean-shaven, well-dressed, adaptable "Other" ready to go and blend in with the survivors? We still don't know the cause of the crash, or if the pilot wasn't in on it (unlikely since he was killed, but perhaps he is a sacrifice to the Security System for the good of the Plan) It's also interesting that so many people associated with so much of the supernatural were united, or should I say assembled on the island: Walt and his eerie abilities, Claire and her remarkably accurate astrologer, Hurley's more-than-coincidental use of the doomed numbers, previously used and regretted by the Australian man etc...This seems so set up that I think maybe the Others that have been found and killed were meant to be found and killed by the man running the show.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    Florimel probably meant MR.
    Right you are. I was referring to Michelle Rodriguez. My phone rang and I didn't stop to proofread what I wrote.

I also believe that Mr. Eko (that's the spelling on ABC's Lost site) is spiritual. I am hoping that he is more Shaman than standard clergy. I would find this much more interesting.

+ Reply to Thread