+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ
    CTV previews showed Kate kissing first Sawyer (I think), then Jack, and then a 'pullback to reality' showing who Kate really kissed, but they didnt show who it was.

Also, they say we will find out what Kate did.
    CC did you catch the part about the "bullet proof" glass. i wonder what that can mean for the hatch?

Also, after just watching Lost, i honestly cannot say that i like ana lucia any better, in fact, i think i like her LESS.
    Yes, i absolutely sympathize with her losing her baby/pregnancy. However, what's going on, on the island has nothing to do with that. EVERYONE but her was basically saying let sayid go, let's go back to the other camp. You have the gun, what can sayid do.

She's too angry. Way too angry all the time and that permanent scowl on her face is just way over the top.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99
    just read on another site that the crossword puzzle was Gilgamesh and some other dude named Ekido or something like that. Apparantly they are two people with differenty backgrounds (ones a savage, raised by animals, and one is kinda normal) that grow a great friendship i guess......maybe a foreshadow to Locke and Eko?
    Right. They definitely showed the clue to the crossword answer - it was Ekido's friend. Then Locke wrote in Gilgamesh. I trawled the internet and found out that (the application of the story to Lost is mine. Feel free to disagree):
    The Epic of Gilgamesh is about the conflict between humans' civilized selves (ie being part of society and following the bonds of kinship; bound by laws and (a degree of) order; the idea of working for a societal good(s) rather than the sole pursuit of individual goals) and our natural selves (ie untamed by society; animalistic; primal; self-interested and self-motivated in one's pursuits). Gilgamesh represents civilization (that would be Locke who is from the "civilized" part of the island). Ekido represents the more primal, animalistic forces of nature (that would be Eko who has seeming reverted to a more uncivilized character (ie the loincloth outfit; the fact that he does not talk much (since talking is the basis of civilization in that you need to be able to communicate fully to have a functioning society)). That said, neither Locke not Eko appear to fully embody either Gilgamesh or Ekido. Locke's views about the island seem to be more in tune with the natural world than with civilized religion. Eko did form part of a society of sorts with Ana Lucia and the others. He also helped Michael look for Walt and brought Sawyer to the camp, both of those being actions which were not in his self-interest (it would have been better for him to stay away from the dangerous parts of the island Michael was going to and to travel unburdened by Sawyer).

Beth - there is an Echo Park in Los Angeles. But I do think the choice of that location was significant, in that Echo and Eko are homophones.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Re: Desmond

In ep 2 or 3, he said he was in a race around the world 3(?) years ago, and his ship crashed on the island. Then, the other guy (argh! cant remember his name) who was manning the 'bunker' brought him down into it.
    Did he really say a ship crashed on the island? i thought his comments were more about being stranded on the island...and being brought down into the hatch by the other guy. This is why I thought it possible that the plane with heroin could have been the vehicle Desmond landed on the island with.

I wonder where he is now.....Maybe he is being held by Danielle.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius

I didn't understand the last shot between Jack and A-L. It was so dramatic, was the only significance that he had met her at the airport bar prior to their flight?
    I think the last shot, showing Ana and Jack on opposite sides of the screen, sort of like a mirror image, had significance.
    They have a lot in common. Both are the sure-fire leader of their groups of survivors. They both went into professions to "help" people, Jack as a doctor, Ana as a police officer. Jack worked in the hospital with his father in a higher up position. Ana worked in the police station with her mother in a higher up position. Ana is quick to pick up a gun in anger and in defense of her group, and tonight, Jack was eager to grab guns to go after her, in revenge and to protect his group. They are both "men of science" so to speak, and both have things in their past that they regret.

To tie them together more, look to the ones who they look to for help. For Ana, it's Eko and for Jack, it's Locke. Both discouraged Jack and Ana from resorting to violence to deal with the situation. Both are "men of faith" and act as a conscience of sorts for the two leaders. Locke and Eko share similar names. Their meeting was also significant.

I don't think Ana is being primed to be Sayid's girl. His destiny is with his love from Iraq. Ana, I think, is Jack's girl.

ETA: just one more thing. There are things about Jack and Ana that seem different, but are maybe more alike than they appear to be on the surface. Ana's murder of the man who shot her was done out of revenge of the loss of her baby, but also because I think perhaps she wanted to protect others.
    Jack turning his father in seems to have been done for the right reason: to protect patients, but there could have been an underlying motive of revenge for Jack, who was always under his father's rather negative scrutiny.
    Last edited by shusie; 11-24-2005 at 05:11 PM.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    Re: Desmond

Did he really say a ship crashed on the island? i thought his comments were more about being stranded on the island...and being brought down into the hatch by the other guy. This is why I thought it possible that the plane with heroin could have been the vehicle Desmond landed on the island with.

I wonder where he is now.....Maybe he is being held by Danielle.
    I think the scene where he explained how he got in the island was in ep 3, when he and Jack had just gone outside from the hatch. Hmm, I should have taped it!

Argh, now I'm WANTING to have some repeats, just so I can go back and watch it again!

Edit: I found a little treat for the people who didn't/couldn't see the Canadian promo for next week's ep. In it, you get to see the Hatch Clock reach 00:00 and who Kate kisses.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/voo...tx/350449.html

Click on the part that says "5.2 megs, zipped". You'll need WinRar or WinZip to open it.
    Last edited by Canada Champ; 11-24-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shusie
    To tie them together more, look to the ones who they look to for help. For Ana, it's Eko and for Jack, it's Locke.
    I think you did a very good assessment and comparison between Jack and Ana, but I can't remember Jack looking to Locke for help. If I have forgotten anything - please jolt my memory. He asked Kate to be his backup after they found the hatch - I see her more of his right hand man. I see Locke and Jack as being more opposites then supportive of each other. Jack's interest in the hatch was different from Lock's, but AL sort of made Eko her partner- yet they are very opposite of each other also.

I agree on Sayid not finding a romantic attraction toward AL; it would be too soon for him to feel anything but grief; but they do understand each other - they both feel dead inside. Originally, I think TPTB said something about AL being brought in to put a spin on the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle. But, being the creative team, they can change anything, anytime. I can't see Jack feeling fondness for AL, if he gets to know her better. But, TPTB wanted her character to (at first) be the tough kicka$$ person we have come to know in her movie roles. She didn't want to take on another of those roles, because of typecasting fears, but they assured her - that type of role would be just in the beginning and her character would be changing. After seeing her kill her attacker, I don't think they will be able to sympathize her enough for my liking - but, I always try to keep an open mind.

FORT Fanatic
    canada champ...thanks for the link for the canadian promo. way more exciting than ours. builds up the suspense in the clock countdown and what will happen. really dont care about the love triangle thing they showed here...and to me...it didnt build up any suspense...only if you really want to know what kate did? but thats all.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    Originally, I think TPTB said something about AL being brought in to put a spin on the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle. But, being the creative team, they can change anything, anytime. I can't see Jack feeling fondness for AL, if he gets to know her better. But, TPTB wanted her character to (at first) be the tough kicka$$ person we have come to know in her movie roles. She didn't want to take on another of those roles, because of typecasting fears, but they assured her - that type of role would be just in the beginning and her character would be changing. After seeing her kill her attacker, I don't think they will be able to sympathize her enough for my liking - but, I always try to keep an open mind.
    rodriguez definitely should fear typecasting in this role. TBTB, i think miscalculated majority of lost fans of their feelings for AL. as much as theyll try to humanize her and make her more caring, sympathetic, etc...many will still hate her. first impressions matter. everyone saw her as the bully take charge no prisoners mentality first. if we saw her from the beginning of the crash (like from the other 48 days) instead of later...do you think our impression of her wouldve been different. i think it maybe to late. some already said they may understand her but still hate her.

for kate, we saw the vulnerable & scared, helping jack stitch himself up, helping out other survivors first....and then later we see the selfish cold-calculating kate later. same as for shannon...we see the spoiled selfish blondie then we see her how she was before she got cut off from boone's mom.

i for one like her character, not what she has done, but how different she is from the other females on the island. usually most movies/shows would have a male be this character...but its nice to see something different. but yeah the typecasting - girlfight, tomboyish in blue crush, swat, resident evil, etc. all tough chick roles for rodriguez. im trying to think of another actress who might pull this off but i cant...lol...im trying to picture actress playing kate or claire being in this role and its laughable. and for those who say they want her off...i think you guys are stuck with her...im pretty sure i read somewhere that she's an integral part of the show (and no, not that love quadangle they plan on doing but something big).

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    I think you did a very good assessment and comparison between Jack and Ana, but I can't remember Jack looking to Locke for help. If I have forgotten anything - please jolt my memory. He asked Kate to be his backup after they found the hatch - I see her more of his right hand man. I see Locke and Jack as being more opposites then supportive of each other. Jack's interest in the hatch was different from Lock's, but AL sort of made Eko her partner- yet they are very opposite of each other also.
    I can't think of any concrete examples at the moment, but I can remember Jack looking to Locke with that exasperated look on his face at least a couple of times.
    It was hasty of me to say they look to those people for help. In fact, I think you're more on target when you say they are opposites of each other. Over the last couple of shows, Eko has went against Ana's orders a number of times, but has also helped her when she didn't want it. Locke rarely listens to Jack, and has done his share of supporting Jack's leadership.

Another similar incidence between the pairs just struck me. When Ana broke down emotionally and cried, Eko was there to help her. Last season, when Jack was dealing with his father issues and running about the jungle, it was Locke who was there to help him...
    I think Ana's line kind of sums up the relationship of both pairs... "I liked you better when you weren't talking". Eko annoys her because he undermines her leadership at times, but she respects and cares for him too. The same with Jack and Locke.

FORT Fanatic
    i dont think jack ask locke for help or guidance. its that locke is their for jack to give help/advice/guidance even if jack didnt verbally ask for it. locke can see that jack struggles sometimes at decision making and usually lets jack know what he thinks and let jack mull on it.

and to go along with this parallel between the 2 groups...i would say that nathan wouldve been sawyer if goodwin hadnt killed him.

dang, can't wait til the turkey's done, waiting time is killing me, running out of other things to do besides preparing the turkey for thanksgiving dinner - now im on and off on this site...i guess ill just watch the rest of the denver/dallas football game for now then come back here again. lol.

+ Reply to Thread