+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

I was so upset they killed off Boone, I thought it was going to make Shannon more likeable or softer somehow, she is improving, but again, we haven't seen too much of the other characters this season to really form a different opinion of her.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    cricketeen, who do you want a backstory for?? AL?

Not yet. I'm not ready to have one lick of sympathy for her, wanna slap that sneer right off her face. On the plus side: with all the danger around, the tailgaters need a strong, smart leader ( I wonder if she is military); she has the trust of her group and seems to have won over Michael and Jin.
    I just can't get past her cruelty. I hope it doesn't turn out that she is "overcompensating because she is a woman" - too cliche. See? I need more time to get over that initial reaction, because nothing here is ever what it seems, is it?

I can't wait to see her with Locke. And all those guns and knives.

Sawyer once said that if you beat a kid often enough, he begins to think he deserves it - so that explains his attraction to her.

I'm ready for Shannon's story. She has such a protective shell around her. That "If I hurt you first, then you can't hurt me" attitude. Walt and Sayid saw through it. She is beginning to drop her defensiveness - and it is starting with a dog. (And one good looking Iraqi) (Tabula Rasa, Lambikins)
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Not yet. I'm not ready to have one lick of sympathy for her, wanna slap that sneer right off her face. On the plus side: with all the danger around, the tailgaters need a strong, smart leader ( I wonder if she is military); she has the trust of her group and seems to have won over Michael and Jin.
    I just can't get past her cruelty. I hope it doesn't turn out that she is "overcompensating because she is a woman" - too cliche. See? I need more time to get over that initial reaction, because nothing here is ever what it seems, is it?
    I'm disappointed in the way Ana Lucia is playing out so far. Except for that short scene in the airport, she seems to be playing the exact same character that she's played in her movies. It's the first character I've felt was horribly cliched, and I'm hoping they have some surprises to pull out.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'm disappointed in the way Ana Lucia is playing out so far. Except for that short scene in the airport, she seems to be playing the exact same character that she's played in her movies.
    I agree completely. She was the same way in SWAT which is the only place I think I've seen her before (though I know she was in more, I just didn't see them).

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    You're right about the Gameboy being quite modern. Also Shannon knew of the Finding Nemo movie. And it can't be in the future: the Red Sox hadn't won the World Series yet. I think Lindelof is blowing smoke up our butts.
    I think so too. I saw a screen cap
    Click to see Spoiler:
    of Christian's medicine bottle dated 9/04. It was supposedly in his hotel room in Australia
    But I bet you already knew that.

Hepcat - your new avatar made me laugh out loud
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane

Yeah, Shannon is not my favorite character either. I wonder if her backstory will include being abused as a child or something like that. I don't know if anyone else was creeped out by her sleeping with Boone. I know they're step siblings and not related by blood, but they grew up together (he was 10, she was 8, or something like that). The ick factor was just way too high on that scenario...
    I guess I'm the only one who didn't find the Shannon/Boone relationship icky. Once I knew they were not even remotely related to each, it just didn't bother me. I was more disturbed by the nature of their "who's using who for what" relationship.

But, that's JMO.

Lea
    Has anyone thought that all of the stations or hatches might lead to one central hatch were the 'others' are hanging out? I know I'm always wrong with my ideas but this one I have a very stong gut feeling.I also thought of something else,everyone keeps talking about the special powers that Walt has but maybe so does Rose. How else would she know that Bernand was still alive.

I also thought of something else,everyone keeps talking about the special powers that Walt has but maybe so does Rose. How else would she know that Bernand was still alive.
    I think you can attribute Rose's belief in Bernard's survival as a positive attitude towards life in general (which we've seen) and the fact that it is probably impossible for her to imagine her life without him. Also, she probably feels so close to him, that she believes she would sense his absence if he were dead. Personally, I wasn't surprised that she refused to believe he was dead. What did she have to gain by giving up hope?
    Last edited by riblit; 10-14-2005 at 10:14 PM.
    if my must-see-tv list gets any longer, I'm gonna have to quit my day job

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I guess I'm the only one who didn't find the Shannon/Boone relationship icky. Once I knew they were not even remotely related to each, it just didn't bother me.
    I know what you're saying, but they were related to each other--as step siblings. They weren't biologically related to each other. For me, it was the fact that familial boundaries had been broken. They'd been raised as siblings since they were small children. It's kind of like if a family adopted two kids and those two kids ended up getting married to each other--they're not biologically related but still....eeeewww! It's not technically incest, but it's just wrong wrong wrong. I felt the same way when Woody Allen had an affair with his now wife, Soon Yi Previn. Ick ick ick!

Anyhow, that's just my take on it. It was sad that Boone loved her so much (as a sister and as a potential girlfriend) and it was sad that Shannon took advantage of that. Which is why I wonder if she was abused as a kid. One of the saddest moments for me was when Boone died...it was so emotional, with the music welling up in the background. I cried a tear or two...

I wonder what Shannon's back story will be like. I'm kind of curious to see it...

OK, and I do have to add one bit. I can understand why Jin is such a good fisherman--his father is a fisherman. But how did Sun get to be such a good gardener? She grew up as a rich, Chanel-shopping daughter of a powerful (but evil) man in Seoul. To me, it seemed like a stereotype of Asians being good at tilling the land. Don't get me wrong, I love her character and hope she gets some juicy scenes...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M
    I agree completely. She was the same way in SWAT which is the only place I think I've seen her before (though I know she was in more, I just didn't see them).
    Yeah, she was also in "Girlfight" (her breakthrough film) and "Blue Crush" (she played a tough surfer chick. She was the only lead actress in that movie who refused to wear skimpy bikini bottoms. She wore jams instead.). I think she's good in these tough roles. But it'll be nice to see her softer side...if she has one!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 10-14-2005 at 11:38 PM.

i know a lot of these questions might have been somewhat answered, but i found these clarifications pretty interesting

Click to see Spoiler:
    "10/11 - The "Orientation" film's jarring jump cuts are actually what [Damon] Lindelof calls "missing pieces" that resulted when former hatch hermit Desmond spliced the broken movie back together after watching it too many times. Those missing pieces will become "very important plot points down the road." Cuse admitted that Shannon's jungle encounter with Walt was a dream. Says Lindelot: "I think the audience is very compelled to figure out exactly where Desmond was running to and, once he gets there, what is he going to do. We told you that he was in a [ship] wreck, but I think there are a lot of questions about how exactly he came to be here. That's certainly a story on the horizon." Was Mr. Rutherford [from Jack's flashback in episode 2.01] Shannon's dad? Her ex-husband? Expect to find out in an episode airing during November sweeps. "The Helen we meet in flashbacks is not the same Helen that Locke was speaking to on the phone," Lindelof clarifies, sort of. Lindelof says, "What happened to the 'tailies' that so drastically whittled their numbers is a very compelling mystery that drives us through the first third of the season." A major character dies in an episode before the holidays and it's not Hurley or Claire. Expect a reunion between Rose and husband Bernard." spoilerfix
    -the stuff in bold in particular is interesting because i don't think many people thought there could even be missing pieces!

Hope this hasn't been posted already

+ Reply to Thread