+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Premium Member
    A question about Hurley handing out the food...

The ABC site recap says: "Hurley comes up with a solution that satisfies everyone - there's plenty of food to last for a while, so why not be generous and hand some of it out now, just as he did with his lottery winnings."

I thought Hurley said something to the effect of there was 'enough food for one person to have three meals a day for three months', and that was an indication that the food supply wouldn't last long so why have people fight over rationing it and just go ahead and have a feast with it?

Did I hear that conversation wrong? Because at the time I was thinking, wow, Desmond would've had to have known his food supply was getting very low, if only three months worth left, and thus be very excited to see a replacement show up to bring more supplies.

- - -
    Oh, and anyone reading that journal on the ABC site? Kinda of lame, I think. Supposedly one survivor has found the journal that some other survivor had been keeping, but doesn't know who it belongs to (even though her name and where she's from is written on it) and the person writing in the journal now mentions several times having read the entire journal, yet the latest entry now mentions being fascinated at the news that there's a hatch buried in the ground a few hours from camp, as if this person was hearing it for the first time, even though the original author of the journal has mentioned seeing the hatch more than once! (I didn't realize the hatch was 'a few hours hike' away from camp)

Although the author does mention that Hurley handed out some 'unfamiliar' and 'odd' food items that made his/her stomach turn....
    Last edited by mozzz; 10-13-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Jack sees Kate stepping out of the shower. The water smells like sulfur.

Another clue or something we should dismiss? I lived with well water for years. Untreated, it had a sulfur smell; once filtered and through the softener, it was gone. No biggie.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz
    A question about Hurley handing out the food...

The ABC site recap says: "Hurley comes up with a solution that satisfies everyone - there's plenty of food to last for a while, so why not be generous and hand some of it out now, just as he did with his lottery winnings."

I thought Hurley said something to the effect of there was 'enough food for one person to have three meals a day for three months', and that was an indication that the food supply wouldn't last long so why have people fight over rationing it and just go ahead and have a feast with it?

Did I hear that conversation wrong? Because at the time I was thinking, wow, Desmond would've had to have known his food supply was getting very low, if only three months worth left, and thus be very excited to see a replacement show up to bring more supplies.

- - -
    Oh, and anyone reading that journal on the ABC site? Kinda of lame, I think. Supposedly one survivor has found the journal that some other survivor had been keeping, but doesn't know who it belongs to (even though her name and where she's from is written on it) and the person writing in the journal now mentions several times having read the entire journal, yet the latest entry now mentions being fascinated at the news that there's a hatch buried in the ground a few hours from camp, as if this person was hearing it for the first time, even though the original author of the journal has mentioned seeing the hatch more than once! (I didn't realize the hatch was 'a few hours hike' away from camp)

Although the author does mention that Hurley handed out some 'unfamiliar' and 'odd' food items that made his/her stomach turn....

Alien food!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Another clue or something we should dismiss? I lived with well water for years. Untreated, it had a sulfur smell; once filtered and through the softener, it was gone. No biggie.
    Thank God I've got my Geology degree dusted off for this show!

Well, cricketeen, the "sulfur" can or can not be a big clue or just a big detail. Navid mentioned to Jack that the bunker is probably heated by a 'geothermal heat pump.'

Here's the basics of that: Iceland and Greenland and many other islands in volcanically active areas, have naturally occuring "hot springs." A geothermal area is where warm water ascends through cracks in the earth’s volcanic crust. Cold rainwater flows into the rock’s porous surface and is heated in the magma chamber where it ascends to the surface. As it gets hotter, it produces jets, sprays, and bubbling natural spas. In the Hveragerdi area, hot springs do occasionally bubble up in people’s living rooms as the activity under the crust of the earth is constantly on the move and ready to explode at any time. Many times, these hot springs will have a high sulfur content to the water.

The geothermal heat is used as a form of natural energy, heating houses, and even in pre-electric power generation times the springs were used for cooking a special bread baked in steam boxes called “rugbraud” or hot spring bread, which is still baked in the region. Unique fauna are seen in the area like hot spring flies and spiders and thermophiles - heat loving bacteria.

Now, perhaps, these alledged "heat-loving bacteria" have multiplied and become so high in toxicity levels, that THAT is what is killing off the people? Maybe exposed skin (numerous encounters with the shower (kate!) or use for washing clothes lead to Daneille's co-workers becoming infected.

So, like the monster of last year who is conveniently gone now, perhaps this "sulfur/geothermal" hint will just drop to the wayside.

Or not.

(edited to add: scientists now know that Red Tides -algae- can create a poisoness toxin in the air when their populations soar. Also, if the Others or Daneille's group ate any number of harvested shellfish, during certain times of the year, they are also extremely toxic and deadly. Toxins produced by certain dinoflagellates are some of the most potent poisons known to man. The most notorious of the dinoflagellate toxins are the neurotoxins which disrupt normal nerve functions.)
    Last edited by lambikins; 10-13-2005 at 02:25 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, the song that was in Hurley's dream was "My Conversation". Rose was humming it while she hung laundry.
    Hmm. I have this dream. I'm driving a bus. And my teeth start falling out. My mum is in the back. Eating biscuits. Everything smells of bacon. It's weird. 'Course then I wake up screaming.

A comment on the idea of the tail-section folks resorting to cannibalism:

They started out as a group of 23 in the tail-section. Having their numbers dwindle down to 4(?) or whatever small number they are now would be a very fast mortality rate for the time period they have been on the island. This quick rate must be due to death/injury (by the Others or the monster?) or illness, and NOT due to the tail-section survivors killing each other off for food source.

Just my cents worth

Naveen Andrews is British. He was in the English Patient.
    He also did a small indie film called "Easy" it starred the girl who played Starla last night.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Daniel Dae Kim was a smarmy lawyer for Wolfram & Hart, named Gavin Park, and nary an accent escaped his lips. He was very, very L.A. I guess I'm more freaked out hearing him speak Korean than English.

Hurley's Korean was pretty bad. It was worse than the actors on MASH--but he was still great in the scene! It was funny AND creepy and it was a great scene. (reminded me kind of David Lynch and "Twin Peaks"). I love him. He's so good and fun to watch...I'm glad the pretty girl from the record store said "yes" to him.

I'm not sure why Hurley's friend was so disappointed that Hurley won the Lotto. If a friend had won and didn't tell me, I would've been surprised but happy when I found out. Now, if he continued to make me pay all the time, that'd tick me off!

Don't know that's how I would've handled the food. I may've rationed it like they did on "Mutiny on the Bounty." But then again, what a headache that would've been. This way they all had a semi-decent meal for at least one night...

I like that Rose and her husband are an interracial couple. People are still so shocked that a black woman is with a white man (or vice versa), but that's part of reality. So I liked that they threw in a little color-blind casting...

And I like Josh Holloway a lot, but I loved watching Sawyer get smacked around by Ana. I'm not sure what her back story is that she's so tough (hmmm...maybe she's a boxer from "Girlfight"?)

BTW, My mother-in-law's house was broken into last night as well, around the same time as Holloway and his wife's breakin! Ewwwwwwww!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxFisher
    How would Hurley know that Walt was missing? Obviosly more than a dream
    I was thinking about this too - that Hurley doesn't know Walt is missing!

Considering that Walt is "special", maybe Walt was sending a subliminal message to Hurley. What a cool detail that was.

On another subject, I think they have emphasized that Apollo bar too much for it to just be a throwaway.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Jack sees Kate stepping out of the shower. The water smells like sulfur.
    Of course, a wet fart in a shower also smells like sulphur, so she might've been just making excuses to explain the smell to Jack ...

+ Reply to Thread