+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    That's what I was saying last week, but no-one seemed to go for it. Remember how his leg started going numb while he and Boone were unsuccessfully trying to open the hatch? Perhaps he was subconsciously feeling that the island was "conning" him. In one scene he yells to the island that he did everything it wanted; the light comes on in the hatch. Shortly after that, his leg started to regain feeling.

By the way, didn't you get the impression that he was in some type of anger-management therapy? Suppressed anger can manifest itself physically in some unpleasant ways.

Of course Locke would disagree with all of that.
    I LOVED the Jungle Whispers thread! I keep thinking that if LOST were a movie, vs. a TV show, they'd be able to go much further in the "creep" department than they can now. For instance, with The Sixth Sense, if it had been a 3 year show, HOW MANY PEOPLE would really have liked the ending and been surprised by it? Same as with LOST: if it were a movie, I could believe that the Jungle Whispers were souls that were there to watch over the "lost" souls who came to the island, like angels in Wim Wenders "Wings of Desire" (later done as City of Angels with Nicolas Cage). I would have far more respect for Abrams and Gang if they really went onto a limb and took a decided bizarre edge to this show. What I don't want to happen with LOST is that all the questions we have are explained in common, every day reasons. What a piece of crap if that happens.

Regarding Locke and a psychological reason for his paralysis, I completely buy that. I don't know how long he knew that he was dumped by both his mom and dad (like if he was in foster care his whole life) but as we see him in flashbacks, he's a pretty Walter Mitty-esque person. Mitty, written by James Thurber, is described as "a meek and henpecked husband who daydreams of being a daring surgeon, heroic pilot and dashing naval commander." Locke's nickname is "colonel" (I believe) and his wanker of a boss uses it against him, having gone into his personal records. Once Locke realized he could walk on the island, I truly believe that he felt it was a "miracle" and that he could relive his life, again, the way he always wished he could. No history, no baggage, no preconcieved ideas about one another...they are ALL living lives of Tabula Rasa.

One more point you touched on, cricketeen: If you remember, Locke was desperate to go on a Walkabout, a very spiritual journey, when we met him. I've always been under the belief that when he's yelling at the "island", he's really yelling at G.O.D. More than any survivor that we've met so far, John Locke is the one who's gained the MOST from the island and is the one more willng to take 'leaps of faith than the others. With his conversation to Walt, I doubt that Locke will want to leave the island, if they were indeed rescued. In his case, indeed, THIS man is an island, onto himself.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Oh, that can't be good! Where's Dr. Ian Malcolm and his Chaos Theory when you need hiim?!
    Being chased downtown by a T-Rex!

Anyways, I got to thinking. Desmond must have known that the hatch was being messed with (by Locke and Boone) in season 1, because he was the one who turned the light on when he heard Locke pounding on the darned thing.

Or maybe the light comes on automatically whenever there is a force, or pressure, put on the top of the hatch?

I LOVED the Jungle Whispers thread! I keep thinking that if LOST were a movie, vs. a TV show, they'd be able to go much further in the "creep" department than they can now. For instance, with The Sixth Sense, if it had been a 3 year show, HOW MANY PEOPLE would really have liked the ending and been surprised by it? Same as with LOST: if it were a movie, I could believe that the Jungle Whispers were souls that were there to watch over the "lost" souls who came to the island, like angels in Wim Wenders "Wings of Desire" (later done as City of Angels with Nicolas Cage). I would have far more respect for Abrams and Gang if they really went onto a limb and took a decided bizarre edge to this show. What I don't want to happen with LOST is that all the questions we have are explained in common, every day reasons. What a piece of crap if that happens.

Regarding Locke and a psychological reason for his paralysis, I completely buy that. I don't know how long he knew that he was dumped by both his mom and dad (like if he was in foster care his whole life) but as we see him in flashbacks, he's a pretty Walter Mitty-esque person. Mitty, written by James Thurber, is described as "a meek and henpecked husband who daydreams of being a daring surgeon, heroic pilot and dashing naval commander." Locke's nickname is "colonel" (I believe) and his wanker of a boss uses it against him, having gone into his personal records. Once Locke realized he could walk on the island, I truly believe that he felt it was a "miracle" and that he could relive his life, again, the way he always wished he could. No history, no baggage, no preconcieved ideas about one another...they are ALL living lives of Tabula Rasa.

One more point you touched on, cricketeen: If you remember, Locke was desperate to go on a Walkabout, a very spiritual journey, when we met him. I've always been under the belief that when he's yelling at the "island", he's really yelling at G.O.D. More than any survivor that we've met so far, John Locke is the one who's gained the MOST from the island and is the one more willng to take 'leaps of faith than the others. With his conversation to Walt, I doubt that Locke will want to leave the island, if they were indeed rescued. In his case, indeed, THIS man is an island, onto himself.

I agree with your take on Lock.

There are supposedly going to be real-world answers to our questions. I am taking that on faith and keep looking for them. For that reason, I would be disappointed if they took too sharp of an X-files turn.

That said, Walt definitely has some type of psychic thing going on, Locke did have that "Boone dream", Jack did see his dad - who not only led him to his casket, but also to water .... One of the things the foundation is supposedly studying is of a psychic nature.
    I think it makes for a good, entertaining mix.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    But if there was no hatch door, when Kate was lowered down, how would there be any pressure or force felt? He probably heard it, used his mirror contraption, and then grabbed Kate and pulled her with the light as a distraction
    Last edited by CashMoneySoviet; 10-11-2005 at 04:48 PM.

MRD

Oh, [u
    that[/u] can't be good! Where's Dr. Ian Malcolm and his Chaos Theory when you need hiim?!

OMG, if there turn out to be dinosaurs and that little man that looked like Colonel Saunders, then I'm done with this show!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ
    Being chased downtown by a T-Rex!

Anyways, I got to thinking. Desmond must have known that the hatch was being messed with (by Locke and Boone) in season 1, because he was the one who turned the light on when he heard Locke pounding on the darned thing.

Or maybe the light comes on automatically whenever there is a force, or pressure, put on the top of the hatch?
    I think he turned the light on, but with no ladder he couldn't exactly invite Locke in for some International Coffee. So why turn on the light? To see who was out there? Wouldn't the light's reflection prevent that? Who did he think was pounding: the diseased others, his replacement, the delivery boy?
    In those circumstances, I'd keep the light off and hide under the bed until he went away.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I have a completely absurd theory that I'm basing on what Lindelhof has put out there about Robert A Wilson and my inference about Schroedinger's Cat, the status of the island, the number 23, and pseudo science.

What if there really wasn't a plane crash or if there was, when did it happen? If this is a social experiment, could our survivors have been in suspended animation until needed and then have memories implanted about who they are and what their lives have been?

Could they only think they are on an island? Something like this was done in a Star Trek episode where an entire civilization did not know their world was really a spaceship. Maybe when the attempted to escape on a raft, the boat was sent out to make sure they didn't get far enough to realize there was a limit to how far they could journey.

As I said, off the wall.

Florimel: Your theory is as good as any I've heard. I've also thought that Walt (who we know is psychic and can materialize polar bears out of thin air) created the island when he knew the plane would crash and transported the passengers there. I've also heard that it could be a type of purgatory where the passengers have all died, but some of them have things they have to work out and when they do, they die on the island to pass on to somewhere else (Boone). This is why the show is so good - it is exciting, intriguing and thought provoking - each answer leads to a new question. Wonderful writing!

FORT Regular
    Any Spoilers or at least a description of tommorow's episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl

hepcat: "so what went wrong?" Perhaps it was the incident? Possibly resulting in "the sickness" we have heard so much about, maybe even some genetic mutations? One thing about the Degroots, from the orientation film- they appeared to be highly intelligent, so anything is possible, but to me - it looks as if things went really bad.
    Okay, it was a cold, crappy day to be working outside today and the only way I got through it was to zone out and NOT think about one. more. pumpkin. decoration.

That said, my mind wandered to posts read but not answered because they had to percolate through my grey matter until they developed into something. Mike'sgirl's comment kept coming around and around in my head, about "things having gone really bad."

Now, in the real world, when Jane Goodall went to study gorillas, she and her mates went away and took supplies and a couple of guns for safety. Now, in the fake world, (like Jurassic Park), the experimenters took supplies and lots and lots of guns....LOTS OF GUNS. Nothing bad had happened yet...but they were prepared for the worst. Which made me think of the Islands "experiments"...and the Gun Runner's cabinet of fire arms that was down in The Swan. Just why, on a deserted island, do you need a small nations arsenal, unless BAD things have happened and you need to kill things, loads of things??? I can understand a couple of rifles, maybe a handgun, but not an arsenal room!

So, now I'm completely in Mike'sgirl's camp that there is a yet unseen danger of a serious magnitude that requires that amount of weaponry. And it ain't coming from the boars and polar bears, folks.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread