+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by poutymouse
    Much like Ethan came and was killed off way too easily, only to find out that it was not him after all who took Claire.
    I don't have any answers for those questions, but I wanted to pull this out. We didn't find out it wasn't Ethan who took Claire, we only found out that Claire remembered scratching Danielle on the arm. It could be that Danielle was working with Ethan, but it's equally plausible that Danielle stole Claire away from Ethan, and Claire broke away from Danielle after she'd already been kidnapped a second time. We just don't know!

I think it was pretty clear that Ethan took Claire. He stared both Claire and Charlie down, then we didn't see what happened, but they were taken away. Ethan came back briefly to tell Jack to stop following him or he would kill Charlie. Jack persisted, and next he found Charlie strung up in a tree.

As for why he wanted Claire, or why the Others wanted Walt, I have no clue.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I don't have any answers for those questions, but I wanted to pull this out. We didn't find out it wasn't Ethan who took Claire, we only found out that Claire remembered scratching Danielle on the arm. It could be that Danielle was working with Ethan, but it's equally plausible that Danielle stole Claire away from Ethan, and Claire broke away from Danielle after she'd already been kidnapped a second time. We just don't know!

I think it was pretty clear that Ethan took Claire. He stared both Claire and Charlie down, then we didn't see what happened, but they were taken away. Ethan came back briefly to tell Jack to stop following him or he would kill Charlie. Jack persisted, and next he found Charlie strung up in a tree.

As for why he wanted Claire, or why the Others wanted Walt, I have no clue.
    Actually, I think what he said was "If you don't stop following me, I will kill one of them. He didn't specify who.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Kaky, Iam so sorry if I sounded like an obnoxious schoolmarm! Not my intent at all! Please accept my apology, and just know that I was just stupidly excited about my "theory" ( ) not discounting anyone's take.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    LAMBIKINS !!!!

that was too cool
    "Whoa, Dude! Coming from a studmuffin like you I'm blushing"

Seriously, it's so nice to have another TV show...finally!!!...where my Science background comes in handy.

I don't have a working VCR any longer so I have to rely on faint memory of each show, but, noticed that ABC was rerunning LOST tonight, so I plunked down to catch some of the things that that infamous Qboots is always snagging and to see if I could learn some more.

Many, many thoughts on the past show:

The Magnetic Wall:

1) The Earth has a natural magnetic force covering it, called the magnetosphere. It is at it's strongest in Northern Canada AND...south of Australia!!! It's as high as 60 microtesias as opposed to 30 microtesias in South America and Africa. This magnetic solar field than sets up telluric currents inside of the Earth's crust and mantle. Locating the telluric fields can aid developers in finding petroleum and ore deposits. Maybe the island is hiding a Mother Lode of some material?

2) In Feng Shui practices devised since the 1960's, the tapping into "ley lines" or Earth Radiation lines is used by modern practitioners to align buildings and structures by their closeness to these energy lines. For believers, structures such as Stonehenge and the Easter Island monoliths were specifically placed where they were by the ancients who could "read" these energy lines within the earth. Modern sceptics (Jack?) call ley lines 'hogwash' and 'just trade routes'. There's many things such as dowsing rodsand geomancy that can't be measured or proven yet they exist. Geomancy, or using the earth's energy for placement of important structures is tied commonly to Feng Shui, so perhaps the Dharma Institute, using the principles of Feng Shui and Geomancy located a "hot spot" between parallel dimensions or universes that has to be hand regulated to keep it closed? Perhaps the 108 minutes is how often the cycle of sliding doors happens between dimensions??? (too many sci-fi shows HERE ) I'm currently reading C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and he had NO PROBLEM believing in different dimensional travel, by either walking into a wardrobe, a painting or the sounding of a horn.

3) Now, on to The Swan, which I haven't read one. single. thing. about in these posts. The image of a swan has replaced the normal yin/yang symbol within the Ba Gua, so I thought "Damn! That's gotta count for something!"

And it does.

Desmond declares that if the execute button isn't pressed every 108 minutes, "it will be the death of us all." According to Swan Symbolism, from Ireland to Siberia, it was taboo to kill a swan. To do so would cause misfortune and death.

In the ancient world, it was widely believed that swans sing only once in their lifetimes, just before they die. Socrates and Plato both mentioned this belief. Hence, the phrase "swan song", meaning a person's final labor. This belief led to an association between [highlight=yellow]swans and prophecy,[/highlight] because swans were thought to predict their own deaths.

The swan is the image of the divinely inspired poet, of the sacred priesthood, of the white-robed druid, of the Norse skald and of every type of poetically inspired priest.

In European folklore, swans were often messengers from the world of faerie, who appeared to mortals as swan knights and swan maidens. Mortal kings, princes, princesses, knights and ladies are often turned into swans. Faeries and mortals in the form of swans can always be recognized by the chains around their necks. The chains might be symbol of their link to the great mother goddess. Such chains were the badge of office of Celtic bards, who rattled the chains to command silence.

http://www.stromsborg.com/symbolism/

More information about the power of Swan symbolism:

""The Silver Swan who, living, had no note,
    When death approached, unlocked her silent throat.
    Leaning her breast against the reedy shore,
    Thus sung her first and last,
    And sung no more:
    Farewell all joys, O death come close mine eyes.
    More geese than swans now live, more fools than wise."

- Orlando Gibbons (1583-1625), The Silver Swan

Symbolism
    From Ireland to Siberia, it was taboo to kill a swan. To do so would cause misfortune and death.

American Indian Myths
    Among the Mandans and Minnitarees, the swan was an emissary of Old Woman Who Never Dies the force behind growing crops.

Astrology
    Cygnus is said to give a contemplative, dreamy, cultured and adaptable nature.

Astronomy
    The Romans were the first to identify the constellation we call Cygnus as a swan.

Biology
    Swans belong to the family Anatidae.

Celtic Myths
    Swans bore the souls of Celtic chieftains to the afterlife.

Chivalric Myths
    In the culture of European chivalry, the swan is the king of water birds, as the eagle is the king of all birds.

Christian Lore
    The swan is one of the symbols of the Virgin Mary, and its swan song represents the resignation of the martyrs.

Germanic Myths
    The Woodcutter and the Swan Maiden.

Greco-Roman Myths
    The swan was a recurring motif in Greek and Roman mythology.

Hindu Myths
    The god Brahma, the Preserver, sprang from the egg of a swan.

Norse Myths
    The Norse associated swans with the valkyries, the swan maidens who transported men slain in battle to Valhalla.

Occult Symbolism
    The swan appears in alchemy, the Tarot and the Qabalah.

Oriental Myths
    In the Orient, swans represent gracefulness, nobility and valor.

Siberian Myths
    The Buriats of Siberia regarded the eagle as their ancestral father and the swan as their ancestral mother.

Swan Upping
    All mute swans on the Thames belong either to the Queen or to one of two London livery companies.

Swanimotes
    One of the medieval courts in England was called a Swanimote. " ibid

THIS link is positively m.a.s.s.i.v.e with swan lore, including every possible thing that's ever happened when Cygnus, the Swan Constellation has been ruling the heavens. I just know that there's information hidden in all those 'clicks': http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Cygnus.html

4) Swan attributes:Grace, balance, innocence, faithfulness, solitude, retreat, poetry, sincerity.

5) Lastly, the Geodesic Dome that Desmond was living inside of for the past 3 years. R. Buckminster Fuller popularized them and used himself as a guinea pig for them. :"In 1927 Buckminster Fuller began a 50-year experiment using himself as the guinea pig. He proposed to discover what he–an average man with neither money, nor corporate or governmental backing–could do on behalf of all humanity. Most broadly (and most ambitiously), he determined to find the principles which govern the Universe and apply them to the basic and persistent problems that plague humankind (e.g. shelter).

A major barrier to the success of this experiment is society’s persistent assumption that needed human resources are scarce. Warfare is society’s most destructive way to defend a group’s existing resources and acquire others. Fuller sought to shift humanity’s focus away from applying its best resources to creating and refining weaponry. He sought to deploy those resources to "livingry," i.e. to the progressive betterment of all human beings through to human problems. His goal was to bring on this shift by changing the environment, not people.

With his wide experience in science, mathematics and industry (especially the building industry), Fuller saw that technology was bringing radical changes to human society and would bring many more. If and when it is fully and properly applied, Fuller was convinced it could raise 100% of humanity to a level of previously unimagined success.

Advanced technology allows people and goods to move freely around the world, increasing mobility and decreasing the traditional rootedness of human cultures. Fuller wanted to use the techniques of mass production in creating efficient affordable shelter for the millions of people who needed it around the world."

I remember going to the Minnesota State Fair in the late 60's and visiting their Geodesic Dome was the most cutting edge thing you could have done.

So, we have a revolutionary way to house humans, we have an animal symbol that potentially birthed the planet or represents birth/death, and we have planetary magnetic fields that could signify deposits, ley lines or dimensional travel.

Any other scientists out there that want to dissect this or add to it???? Have at it!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    Actually, I think what he said was "If you don't stop following me, I will kill one of them. He didn't specify who.
    Right, you're right. But Ethan strung up Charlie, and furthermore, Charlie later said that all Ethan wanted was Claire. Not him. Charlie was the expendable one.

I was responding to Poutymouse saying "Much like Ethan came and was killed off way too easily, only to find out that it was not him after all who took Claire. " But it was Ethan who took Claire. I don't understand what she meant by this. Did I miss something?

FORT Fan
    so if anyone remembers my post a couple days ago on my theory
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that the "others" were the DeGrots from the Orientation film, i found this picture someone put together which shows the evidence....not positive about the guy, but the chick looks the same, look at the nose:

http://www.website-reviewer.com/free...ost/others.jpg
    Last edited by hepcat; 10-09-2005 at 01:23 AM. Reason: This is a pretty big spoiler - added tags

xjeff, I do remember your theory and I posted the same pictures yesterday. I added spoiler tags and a warning because I think this is a pretty big spoiler. I think you were dead on and the pictures prove it.

Since it's pictures and not merely speculation, I added spoiler tags to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    1) The Earth has a natural magnetic force covering it, called the magnetosphere. It is at it's strongest in Northern Canada AND...south of Australia!!! It's as high as 60 microtesias as opposed to 30 microtesias in South America and Africa. This magnetic solar field than sets up telluric currents inside of the Earth's crust and mantle. Locating the telluric fields can aid developers in finding petroleum and ore deposits. Maybe the island is hiding a Mother Lode of some material?
    Microtesia? That anything like a microtesla?

FORT Fan
    oh okay hep, sorry, thought about it after i posted it but didnt know what to do (either link or spoiler) so i just let it be. I really hope that is the case since then you might be able to make an actual conclusion on some aspect of this show like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the incident was that the island overtook(overheated) the creators and now you have to input the numbers so it doesn't go nuts again. or something along those lines.

It's cool, xjeff, no need to apologize. We don't normally spoiler tag speculation, but it shows how powerful those pictures are. I think they're very revealing.

I hope it's the case, too. If you think about it, why did we get so much info about the Dharma project? It's not like that's habitual on this show. Obviously, the Utopia described in the film didn't materialize, so what went wrong?

+ Reply to Thread