+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    What you're describing is the Milgram experiments. Here's the wikipedia entry on it - you'll see it's the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

I'm just saying that BF Skinner worked in psychology but not in the field of obedience to authority. BF Skinner also had theories about how to create utopian societies.

Milgram also came up with the six degrees of separation theory - something that very much applies to this show.

Speaking of utopian societies, Wikipedia also has an interesting entry on Tabula Rasa (season 1 episode). The theory was proposed by John Locke (the real one) stating that people's minds are a blank slate at birth, shaped by experience - but this is an interesting sentence in the entry: 'As such, the theory is taken up by many utopian schemes that rely on changing human behaviour to achieve their goals'
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I recently learned that Desmond is the last name of a character in the old Flash comic books. He had a dual personality - Albert and Alvin (sounds like Alvar?) - and later became Dr. Alchemy and Mr. Element. Don't quite know where to go with that, just thought it was interesting - maybe just more 6 degrees stuff. For those that don't remember, Hurley had a Flash comic on the plane and Walt was reading it after the crash.

Also have a possible spoiler/red herring that I don't remember reading here:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    In episode 7 the hatch blows up.
    If so, I hope it is because Jack or Hurley finally get some cojones and does the deed - but not before they all get a chance to shower and pack up the rest of the candy bars!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Davis_Rocks
    haha if you didnt know thats over a year and a half... so we still have a fair amount of seasons...

Ethan showed up a year ago (what, about 40 days in fantasy island time?) and I am still having trouble with his whole story arc! This show makes me feel soooo -
    I can only imagine how confuddled I'll be by then.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Accentgate

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    But Jin said the line without any Asian accent, like Sun does, and he had a completely diferent tone in his voice.
    I've heard Daniel Dae Kim speak (in perfect English with no accent on other shows) and the preview of him speaking perfect English (or should I say American) sounded exactly like him to me. The first thing I thought when I heard it was that it was going to be some island miracle -- like Locke being able to walk when he was wheelchair-bound before.

Also, not for nothing, but I've noticed that Sun sometimes goes back and forth between having a Korean accent and not--definitely nothing as big as Jin in the preview. But I don't think that's set up as a clue or anything for the show, but something that's difficult for actors who speak English perfectly to consistently do--speak with a foreign accent. (American actors seem to have a difficult time pulling off English accents, while the English seem to have an easier time emulating American accents. Just threw that in there...)

The thing about Locke is he looks really old. So his flashback scenes to me always have a really disingenious look to them. The acting is great, but he looks too old in the father-son scenes with his kidney-stealing dad. They look more like siblings.

I was really hoping Jack would have some balls and NOT press the button 'cause I don't think anything would've happened. I think if I was in that situation, I would just want to make it go away (and if that means I'm blown away, so be it). But that's me. I don't do so well in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jette66
    Something about the way Jack yells at Desmond that he married Sarah is bothering me, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I've even rewatched that scene. Did Sarah marry Jack because he saved her
    I always thought Jack married her because he felt responsible for saving her life and taking care of her, especially since her fiance left her when she had her accident. I kind of got the idea that he always had a problem with commitment and marrying her was his way of proving he could commit.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 10-08-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added more to post--didn't want to double post

Quote Originally Posted by Davis_Rocks
    I got in... and This is So Freaky... All it shows is the Sing they used in 'Lost'! The Swan!!

Ok but this is kinda weird... This photo is actually not a picture... I had to screen cap it... It was a video!

Ok I am getting scared lol!
    This area is one of my specialties and the moment that I saw the "Dharma" Institutes symbol, I screamed, "Hey! That's the Feng Shui Ba Bua Diagram!

Too much information HERE, but Feng Shui (pronounced Phung Schway) is a 3000+ year old practice from China that is concerned with energy and placement of objects for harmony and balance.

The above diagram, the Ba Gua, is a chart of energy that you align up with your dwelling to activate the strongest flow of positive chi or energy. It's all about taking the "bad" and making it "good" or reinventing space. Many Chinese families wouldn't even consider making a move without consulting a Feng Shui expert first.

The following is from a book of mine, and key phrases pertaining to LOST are highlighted, especially in regards to John Locke's observations: " We say "as goes our environment so goes us" and vice versa. This means that if we pay attention to our environment then we will find ways of creating different realities in our lives.

Literally translated from Chinese , Feng Shui, means "wind and water". A few symbols in Chinese can tell an entire story. Upon further study we find that Feng Shui is an expression of the oneness and interconnectedness of all things on all levels and all dimensions. This is a key concept in understanding how our essence relates to everything else around us including our environment. As one begins to sense this oneness we then find that it is possible to gather insight from looking at our environment with "larger eyes". We often say that Feng Shui teaches us what we already know. "

Also, for those of you familiar with Yin and Yang, the Dharma Institutes Swan is a virtual copy of it.

http://www.bartlettdesigns.com/fengs...uaoctagon.html < Here's the link to the large page of the Ba Gua, so you can read it more clearly.
    Last edited by John; 10-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    This area is one of my specialties and the moment that I saw the "Dharma" Institutes symbol, I screamed, "Hey! That's the Feng Shui Ba Bua Diagram!

All I can say... WOW!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    All I can say... WOW!!!!!!
    Thanks, Justafan1. I've been using Feng Shui in my landscape designs for over 12 years, when it was so unheard of that the texts in the U.S. literally came from China and were poorly translated. Now, it's hip to "mock" it in TV programing (so they can sound oh-so-2005), but that's true with many age old philosophies that few people want to take the time to really get to know.

The fact that the producers literally lifted the Ba Gua symbol and didn't even attempt to alter the patterning says 'sumptin' but I don't know what. Many times, when movies and TV pretend to be all mystical, they'll take a symbol and tweak it, but this time, it's bar for bar with the meanings.

Also, going back pages and pages and pages, here's some more interesting things about the number #108:

"Why are there 108 beads on a mala?
    by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati
    SwamiJ.com

On a mala, or set of mantra counting beads, there are generally 108 beads, or some fraction of that number. The question often arises: "Why are there 108 beads on a mala?"

Below are some of the many reasons that have been given, as well as a few other points of interest. None of these reasons are being promoted here as more or less true than the others. However, you may notice that 108 appears to be somewhat like a road map of reality in general, and the human in particular.

Regardless of the meaning of 108, it is important that if a mala is used to count mantras, the mantra be remembered with sincerity, devotion, feeling, and full attention.

9 times 12: Both of these numbers have been said to have spiritual significance in many traditions. 9 times 12 is 108. Also, 1 plus 8 equals 9. That 9 times 12 equals 108.

Powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power=1; 2 to 2nd power=4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power=27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27=108

Desires: There are said to be 108 earthly desires in mortals.

Lies: There are said to be 108 lies that humans tell.

Delusions: There are said to be 108 human delusions or forms of ignorance.

Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.

Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.

Pranayama: If one is able to be so calm in meditation as to have only 108 breaths in a day, enlightenment will come.

Upanishads: Some say there are 108 Upanishads, texts of the wisdom of the ancient sages.

Sri Yantra: On the Sri Yantra there are marmas where three lines intersect, and there are 54 such intersections. Each intersections has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti qualities. 54 times 2 equals 108. Thus, there are 108 points that define the Sri Yantra as well as the human body.

Pentagon: The angle formed by two adjacent lines in a pentagon equals 108 degrees.

Marmas: Marmas or marmasthanas are like energy intersections called chakras, except have fewer energy lines converging to form them. There are said to be 108 marmas in the subtle body.

Time: Some say there are 108 feelings, with 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and 36 related to the future.

8 extra beads: In doing a practice of counting the number of repetitions of the mala, 100 are counted as completed. The remaining are said to cover errors or omissions. The 8 are also said to be an offering to God and Guru.

Chemistry: Interestingly, there are about 115 elements known on the periodic table of the elements. Most of those, around or higher than the number 100 only exist in the laboratory, and some for only thousandths of a second. The number that naturally exist on Earth is around 100.

Astrology: There are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.

River Ganga: The sacred River Ganga spans a longitude of 12 degrees (79 to 91), and a latitude of 9 degrees (22 to 31). 12 times 9 equals 108.

Planets and Houses: In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 equals 108.

Goddess names: There are said to be 108 Indian goddess names.

Gopis of Krishna: In the Krishna tradition, there were said to be 108 gopis or maid servants of Krishna.

1, 0, and 8: Some say that 1 stands for God or higher Truth, 0 stands for emptiness or completeness in spiritual practice, and 8 stands for infinity or eternity.

Sun and Earth: The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.

Moon and Earth: The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.

Silver and the moon: In astrology, the metal silver is said to represent the moon. The atomic weight of silver is 108.

Numerical scale: The 1 of 108, and the 8 of 108, when added together equals 9, which is the number of the numerical scale, i.e. 1, 2, 3 ... 10, etc., where 0 is not a number.

Meditations: Some say there are 108 styles of meditation.

Breath: Tantra estimates the average number of breaths per day at 21,600, of which 10,800 are solar energy, and 10,800 are lunar energy. Multiplying 108 by 100 is 10,800. Multiplying 2 x 10,800 equals 21,600.

Paths to God: Some suggest that there are 108 paths to God.

Smaller divisions: The number 108 is divided, such as in half, third, quarter, or twelfth, so that some malas have 54, 36, 27, or 9 beads.

Hinduism: 108 is said to refer to the number of Hindu deities. Some say that each of the deities has 108 names.

Islam: The number 108 is used in Islam to refer to God.

Jain: In the Jain religion, 108 are the combined virtues of five categories of holy ones, including 12, 8, 36, 25, and 27 virtues respectively.

Sikh: The Sikh tradition has a mala of 108 knots tied in a string of wool, rather than beads.

Buddhism: Some Buddhists carve 108 small Buddhas on a walnut for good luck. Some ring a bell 108 times to celebrate a new year.

Chinese: The Chinese Buddhists and Taoists use a 108 bead mala, which is called su-chu, and has three dividing beads, so the mala is divided into three parts of 36 each.

Stages of the soul: Said that Atman, the human soul or center goes through 108 stages on the journey.

Meru: This is a larger bead, not part of the 108. It is not tied in the sequence of the other beads. It is the quiding bead, the one that marks the beginning and end of the mala.

Dance: There are 108 forms of dance in the Indian traditions.

Praiseworthy souls: There are 108 qualities of praiseworthy souls. "

http://www.swamij.com/108.htm

Also, a link to 108 Meditation Techniques : http://www.meditationsociety.com/108meds.html

By the way, there are 39,564,680 hits for the number #108!!!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

McDharma's Boar Burgers poutymouse's Avatar
    Filling in for Sayid at Sawyers Snack Shack
    lambkins that is really fascinating!

Now all I have to do is wait for my hubby to come and discuss this with him!!! He is from Pakistan and being that Sihks are there he may have some insight, not to mention he is Muslim (Islam), and knows alot about Hindi religion also. I will see what info he can get for me.

Thanks for all the information and know I will be up all night discussing 108 with him. Although, I hope it is more fruitful than our previous discussions! I swear he has ADD and after a few minutes he gets too distracted. He's a doc and I wanted to know if he knew what "vaccinations" (he claims Desmond was injecting vaccinations) were in the vials, or at least what the numbers and letters on the vials meant. I'm still waiting for THAT answer....

McDharma's Boar Burgers poutymouse's Avatar
    Filling in for Sayid at Sawyers Snack Shack
    Also there was some discussion about Helen being the person Locke was talking to last season. It seemed as though she was some sort of sex phone operator or whatever. Of course we must assume this is not the same Helen (unless lets say, she got amnesia and became a phone operator lol...). I think perhaps, Helen was killed in accident that made Locke paralyzed. Isn't this something tht happens when there is no closure? Perhaps he was calling some phone line and although the woman was not actually Helen (after all do phone sex operators use their real names?) but he felt the need to call her Helen. That this was his way of dealing with what may have happened? Imagining that he was talking to Helen and forming some sort of bond with this operator? Well thats just my thoughts at this time....it will change again tomarrow as each time I watch I get a different theory!

Desmond seems to be falling into that Ethan catogory. What, he stays in the hatch for years and then just runs into the jungle after meeting up with Jack...not even questioning how they both ended up there. Much like Ethan came and was killed off way too easily, only to find out that it was not him after all who took Claire. And did we ever establish what the relationship between Danielle and Ethan was? Why did Ethan want Claire when we now know the others wanted Walt?

I know these have probably been figured out by now...but if anyone knows or theories I would love to know since there is no way I can dig through all of season 1's postings to find out. I tried and tried but there is just way too many postings to find out.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    LAMBIKINS !!!!

that was too cool

+ Reply to Thread