+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899 LastLast

Thread: Gilmore Girls

CCL

Re: Gilmore Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2432437;
    If I'm not mistaken, that exact scene is also in the opening credits for at least one or two of the seasons.
    It's been a while since I saw season one but I remember reading that the show would be ending with L & R in Luke's diner, just as it had begun. So you would be right.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack77
    Does anyone have a link revealing what the last 4 words were supposed to be, or whether it was really a final line rather than just 4 words?
    Amy Sherman-Palladino hasn't revealed what the vaunted four words would be. I would think they would constitute the last sentence spoken. Maybe she'll never reveal the words, or maybe she will reveal them after her hopes of a GG reunion movie are dashed. In the meantime we can make them up, like Bandy suggests!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I love you, too are also four words. But I hope not, it's too predictable.

Jumpin' George Clooney NickNack77's Avatar

Mikesgal,

I think you're right that there's a scene in several opening credits showing Lorelai and Rory through the window at Luke's but if memory serves, the shot is from a different angle and just shows Lorelai and Rory sitting at a table and it appears to be daylight, probably morning, whereas the final shot seems to be from a different angle and it doesn't seem to be daylight yet. I guess we'll need to check our DVDs.

My guess for the final four words: Dorothy Parker slept here.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack77;2436928;
    Mikesgal,

I think you're right that there's a scene in several opening credits showing Lorelai and Rory through the window at Luke's but if memory serves, the shot is from a different angle and just shows Lorelai and Rory sitting at a table and it appears to be daylight, probably morning, whereas the final shot seems to be from a different angle and it doesn't seem to be daylight yet. I guess we'll need to check our DVDs.

My guess for the final four words: Dorothy Parker slept here.
    I could very well be wrong (what a surprise ) but when I watched the ending a few thousand times with my daughters, I thought the scene looked familiar. It was dark- late night, early morning. The shot was showing Lor's face and Luke was in the background. There were also white Christmas lights on the diner windows. I thought it looked very familiar, so I paid attention when they watched the daily recording and I would swear it was the same exact scene. Unfortunately, we don't have the last episode still saved, so I can't compare.

Well, I think you're right that the scene looks familiar. All the details you mention are indeed there: the Christmas-type lights around the window, Luke in the background, Lorelai and Rory sitting at a table, Lorelai's face to the camera.

But I went back and compared the two scenes, and there are some differences, which I think in a way might be significant:

First Season/Opening Credits:

1-View is shot through the front window, right next to the front door; you can see the address "156" above the door.

2-Luke is in front of the counter.

3-Luke is serving other customers in the restaurant.

4-Luke has no hat.

5-The colors are bright: orange and yellow dominate.

Last Season/Final Scene:

1-View is shot through the side window, not the one next to the door, but the one closer to Doose's (the one Kirk drove his car through, if I recall). Instead of "156" we see the sign for "Luke's".

2-Luke is behind the counter.

3-Luke is not serving other customers; there are no other customers.

4-Luke is wearing his blue hat backwards.

5-The colors are dim and muted: greys and blues dominate.

Not huge details, but they subtly suggest moving on; the focus is not on the entrance. The scene is now more intimate; no strangers there, and Luke can feel free to work behind the counter instead of hustling around. The colors are dimmer and sadder, not bright and happy.
    "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire."

FORT Fan

Thanks NickKnack for clarifying. I guess it was similar enough to think it was the same, but different enough that we know it wasn't. I wonder why they did that though? Kind of neat anyway.

Mikesgal,

I've been wondering the same thing. One clear aspect of the show is how much the writers and the characters know about literature. Literary references abound; Rory and Lorelai toss off the names of writers like Nikolai Gogol, Cormac McCarthy, David Foster Wallace, and Norman Mailer (as well as hundreds of others) with genuine skill, so it would surprise me if they were NOT familiar with T.S. Eliot's poems.

In the latter part of his life, Eliot wrote Little Gidding (one of the Four Quartets), about a religious community which inspired him. In it, he talks about coming back again to a place we've known, and his words came immediately to my mind when I saw Rory and Lorelai back at Luke's:
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.

Oh, by the way, here's a quote from TV Guide's last interview with Lauren Graham about Amy Sherman-Palladino's last 4 words:

"Is it bittersweet ending without Amy?

Graham: Yeah. What I hoped — and this is not to take away from David Rosenthal, who I had a really nice year with — was that she would write the finale. But that's not the way she works. She's either there 100 percent [or not at all]. She couldn't just come in and pick up another story that she didn't lay the groundwork for and finish it. I wish she had been more involved this year, because I was playing a piece of her that is so specifically her. I missed her writing.

Have you spoken to her since the announcement was made?

Graham: We e-mailed and we're supposed to have a drink this week.

Are you going to try and get her to divulge the final four words she had planned to end the series with?

Graham: Oh, right — I forgot about that. I think she would've given it up to me had we known this was the end. That was the other weird thing about ending the show like this. When we finished [shooting], there was a 50/50 chance we'd be returning. So when we left the wrap party, we were like, "Bye! See ya next season!" Had we known [this was it], I think she would've given it up and we would've worked it in. "

And here's the link to the whole interview: It's Here: Lauren Graham's Final Gilmore Girls Interview - Ausiello Report | TVGuide.com

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

Those last 4 words have been driving me absolutely crazy since I read that in an interview for the first time, I don't know how long ago....I guess it will just continue to drive me crazy until we all bug ASP enough to let the cat out of the bag already!
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!

sorry for the bump but thought you guys might like to know there are now Gilmore Girls episodes online.
    Yay!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread