+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stella

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar

Stella

Did anyone else catch the Stella series premier on Comedy Central this week?

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/stella/about.jhtml

Stella features the comedic trio of Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter and David Wain as three characters whose travels through everyday life are unlike anything else on television. With a perfect blend of cleverness and absurdity, Stella satirizes everyday experiences like finding an apartment, hanging out at a coffee shop, going camping and trying to meet women. What are common, normal situations for most people quickly end up in the most unexpected realms when these guys are at the helm.

Even though they're always dressed in suits, their maturity level doesn't always fit their attire. These modern day Marx Brothers spread their non-sensical comedy to everyone they meet and everywhere they go. Their sensibilities are tinged with both sarcasm and wit; the characters, and the show in general, find a way to be both smart and sophomoric.

I have been anxiously awaiting this show for ages- I was a huge fan of The State back in the day and will basically watch anything featuring former castmembers.

The show wasn't exactly what I expected, but I've watched the pilot episode twice now, and it's really growing on me. There were definitely some hilarious moments, and frankly I'm just really happy to see these guys all together, and on my TV.
    Last edited by SueEllenMishke; 06-30-2005 at 10:11 PM.

I finally watched all the episodes of this show that have been sitting on my DVR and it was really funny. This show is very reminiscent of "The State" from MTV that all these guys were involved in. The comedy is a little obscure and out there but it has it's moments were I was laughing out loud.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Somehow I've never seen The State. But I did watch Viva Variety and do watch Reno 911! so I've been giving Stella a chance. I have to say, after the first episode, I thought the show sucked. But, as it's gone on, I've really gotten into it. There are moments when it seems like they are directly stealing from the "Nobody Likes Us" guys from Kids in the Hall, but the other, utterly surreal/abstract stuff is awesome. The running joke about the guy who sells fake mustaches is just genius. I'm also really enjoying the cameos...Paul Rudd, Alan Ruck, Topher Grace, etc.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Oh man.. I just can't grasp this one. I actually have to switch the channel midway through it because of a splitting headache I get while giving it a chance.
    I just don't get it.

Odd, since I really do have "that type" of humor.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Oh man.. I just can't grasp this one. I actually have to switch the channel midway through it because of a splitting headache I get while giving it a chance.
    I just don't get it.

Odd, since I really do have "that type" of humor.
    I highly recommend watching the show again, since the first time I watched it I didn't like it all that well either... um, but maybe since the show gives you a headache you should only watch half of it at a time?

The more episodes I watch, the more I love it. The guest stars are great- Paul Rudd and Ken Marino were expected, but Sam Rockwell, Topher Grace and Edward Norton were very pleasant surprises.

The show is utterly ridiculous, but that's what I like about it.

+ Reply to Thread