+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over There on FX

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by annimal
    Here is the link to the online version of the article, but you may have to register for the site to read the whole thing.
    Entertainment Weekly

Here is another article I read today in the USA Today about the soldiers perspective on the show. Sounds like it is going to be pretty realistic.

USA Today
    One thing you see when soldiers talk is how close they are to each other and put their lives on the line for each other. I didn't see this type of relationship in this show.

I am not sure how I felt about this show after watching it, but I don't know if see dramatic amputations are something I would want to see ongoing. I don't think of myself unable to tolerate blood and guts since I've seen it as a nurse.

well, the big premiere...I thought it was okay. The first one is always hard for me to get into because you don't know who anybody is, personality, story, etc. I will say I can't stand Mrs. B with her bratty yelling on the line last night and was sorry to see she wasn't dead!

I know war isn't pretty, but some of the things last night were a bit much. The grenaded (is that a word??) guy I thought was over the top, especially when we had to stare mournfully at his intestines the next day. I know there are a lot of realistic things you can do with special effects (that, Bo's leg, etc) but am not convinced I like this show enough to sit through them every Wednesday.

Having said that, I will keep watching for a while as I do like it. I really liked the video emails at the end and the character development so far, I think these could be people I start to care about (in that tv kind of way...) Hubby is a big fan of war movies, and he liked it a lot.
    Wag more, bark less

I was really pleased with the first episode and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. I thought they did a good job introducing the characters and beginning to tell their stories. I am glad this is going to be such a character piece. The show also felt very realistic. I think they did a good job filming and made California very believable.

I missed Over There when it aired on FX and am thinking I might pick up the DVD... did any of ya'll see most or all of the series?? Do you think it is worth picking up? Worth renting???

From what I'm seeing online it sounds like it was a good series, and in keeping with other shows I've liked, but I don't tend to trust reviewers as much as my fellow "viewers" who aren't getting paid to have an opinion, but are simply being honest.

THANKS!
    Last edited by John; 03-21-2006 at 09:18 PM.

We really liked this show. My b/f was in Iraq during April 2003 thru Nov 2003. He said it's very realistic.

My husband loves this sort of thing and he of course loved this show and raved about it to anyone who would listen. I actually ended up liking it more than I thought I would. The characters were really good and the stories sucked you right in. If you like war stories, you will love it. If you don't mind them like me, you will like it a lot.
    Wag more, bark less

THANKS for the feedback.

War stories, when done well, can be very powerful, and really draw me in... and it sounds like this is def. a DVD I should pick up... also nice to hear that someone who was Over There watched it.

THANKS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12