+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick (TNT)

The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick (TNT)

'The Closer' begins with Kyra Sedgwick

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY Mon Jun 13, 6:56 AM ET

If you're going to try to sell us another cop show, you'd better have someone as special as Kyra Sedgwick to close the deal.

Without Sedgwick, The Closer would be a standard-issue police procedural - a decent bit of TV entertainment, but nothing more. With Sedgwick's unforced charm and her witty iron-fist-meets-velvet-glove performance, The Closer rises to the top of TV's summer bill.

Monday's commercial-free premiere introduces Sedgwick as Los Angeles deputy police chief Brenda Johnson, a Southern,
    CIA-trained interrogator with a reputation for being a "closer," a cop who can get people to confess.

She operates on one guiding principle: As hard as it is to uncover a secret, it's even harder to keep one.

By now, of course, we've seen just about every interrogation technique cop shows have to offer, along with every gruesome makeup trick and every forensic marvel. Wisely, The Closer offers a more reliable pleasure: an intriguing lead character.

What the show and Sedgwick give us is sort of an American version of Prime Suspect's Jane Tennison, a smart but not completely secure middle-aged woman with a passion for junk food and an ability to switch from down-home sweet to tough-cop brusque at the drop of a Ding Dong.

Plus, as a Southerner in L.A. and a female in a male-dominated department, she's a fish out of water times two - and that's something TV has never been able to resist.

Brenda has been brought to Los Angeles to head up the "Priority Murder Squad." Her first case involves a victim who can't be identified and a suspect who may not exist. But her first priority is to get some support from her rebellious squad while keeping the support of assistant police chief Will Pope, played by a somewhat underemployed J.K. Simmons.

"They may dislike me because I'm new, or because Captain Taylor (Robert Gossett) doesn't want me here," she tells Pope. "But relax, Will, because once I get to work and they see me in action, they'll have a whole list of other reasons to hate my guts."

As is common with pilots, The Closer does attempt to instantly jump-start character development by laying things on a bit too thick, from Brenda's accent to her food fetishes, to her body-image issues. Though that kind of quirk fest is acceptable for an opening hour, it will grow tiresome if the writers don't watch out.

As the title indicates, the plot is designed to resolve itself in an interrogation/confessional climax. The pilot's finish doesn't disappoint, thanks to a clever solution, a good guest performance by the prime suspect, and a nicely modulated final push by Sedgwick, who dominates the scene without sucking all the air out of the room.

By the time she's done, her team is won over. And so was I.

Thanks to Sedgwick, this is one summer show that will be worth watching. You could even say closely.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...thkyrasedgwick

Is anyone else watching this one? I missed the first episode and was hoping they'd re-run it. BUT - I did see the second episode and, after just one, I'm hooked! I've always loved Kyra and I enjoy these kinds of shows. The writing was very clever, the cast is good and Kyra was born to play this part - smart, sexy, funny. If the remaining 7 episodes are as good, I hope they pick this series up for another run.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    I'm watching it!!!
    I haven't seen this week's episode yet (it's on TiVo) but my favorite line from the pilot was when one of the cops told her "... you don't have to be a b!tch about it" and she replied "if I wanted to be called a b!tch to my face, I would have stayed married"

Gotta love it

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M
    I'm watching it!!!
    I haven't seen this week's episode yet (it's on TiVo) but my favorite line from the pilot was when one of the cops told her "... you don't have to be a b!tch about it" and she replied "if I wanted to be called a b!tch to my face, I would have stayed married"

Gotta love it
    I love how she delivers those lines with all the sweetness of a true Southern belle and you know she's really telling the person to eat s---! I'm hoping they'll re-run the pilot at a later date - maybe they'll do a marathon before the finale.

This role is just made for Kyra - it feels a bit like the part she had in Something to Talk About, in that she's tough, but also smart and feminine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

From cnn.com
    specifically http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

'The Closer' has huge debut
    NEW YORK (AP) -- A taste for new programming doesn't disappear just because it's summer, and TNT benefited last week.

"The Closer," starring Kyra Sedgwick as a CIA-trained detective, was seen by more than 7 million viewers in its debut, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That's a gigantic hit in the cable world: It was the top-rated premiere episode ever of any original scripted series on basic cable. It's not bad for the summer by broadcast standards, either. Nothing ABC showed that Monday night had a bigger audience, and Fox and NBC only had one show each that did better.
    ============

The article goes on to discuss more shows but that's basically all they had to say about The Closer.

I am looking forward to this week's episode (still on TiVo) as well as the rest of the season. Most of the cast are unknowns for me except for J.K. Simmons - I've been a fan of his ever since he played Vern Schillinger on Oz (miss that show) and who can forget him in SpiderMan

I saw the first episode and really enjoyed it. Kyra kicked ass. I missed the second episode so I'm hoping I can catch a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M
    I'm watching it!!!

Gotta love it
    "if I wanted to be called a b!tch to my face, I would have stayed married"
    I love this show. I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm sorry I missed Monday's episode.

My friends were say they don't like the actress that plays 'The Closer' [can't think of her name right now and I don't know how to go back to get it....learning] but I DID. She's a good actress. She put all those 'boys' in their places.

I'm a fan.

Whistles and cat-calls ;)

When she had her makeup and hair done and put on a sexy dress, she looked very nice Kyra Sedgwick is a nice looking woman and it's good to see her that way if only for a short while on this show. The character of Brenda Johnson isn't a head-turner... but she can be

Am I the only one who is actually watching this show? I happen to really like it

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Regular
    I only watched the show once. It left me scratching my head for 15 minutes until I finally figured out what had just happened (it was the episode where she is trying to uncover the murder of a Russia prostitute). Any show that makes me think like that has to be a good show. Plus, Kyra is a pretty good actress. I'll try to watch this again...

FORT Fan
    I didn't watch from the beginning, but after all the hype I decided to give it a try.

Last night we watched the episode with the sniper. We thought it was so bad, dh went to bed before the end. I watched because once it starts, pretty much no matter how bad it is I have to watch until the end to see what happens. I was disappointed.

We won't be watching again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast