+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Kingpin' TV Show Draws Fire From Latinos

'Kingpin' TV Show Draws Fire From Latinos

'Kingpin' TV Show Draws Fire From Latinos
    Tue Feb 4, 5:43 AM ET
    By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES - "Kingpin," a new TV drama about a drug cartel run by a Mexican family, was criticized by a civil rights group as a slap against Hispanics that will reinforce prejudices.

The League of United Latin American Citizens said Monday it was "very disappointed with NBC's decision" to air the series, which premiered Sunday.

"'Kingpin,' which portrays Hispanics as drug dealers, murderers and unpatriotic American citizens, opens the door to more negative feelings toward Latinos in our community," the group said in a statement.

The network had no immediate comment, a spokeswoman said Monday.

Measured concerns about "Kingpin" were voiced by Lisa Naverrete of the National Council of La Raza, another civil rights organization.

"I'm not comfortable with making a final judgment on the show after seeing just one episode," Naverrete said Monday.

While lauding the employment opportunity "Kingpin" offers for Hispanic actors and writers, she questioned why the only Latino-themed drama on network TV should be about what she called the "cliche" of drug dealers.

"There are no balancing images" showing Hispanics in another light, Naverrete said. "If it was one of several shows on TV about Latinos, I wouldn't have such concerns."

The heavily promoted "Kingpin" focuses on Miguel Cadena (Yancey Arias), a Stanford-educated Mexican angling to head his extended family's drug-trafficking operation while grappling with guilt over his criminal activities.

A Spanish-dubbed version of the series will air on NBC-owned Telemundo in March, while a racier edition is planned for the Bravo cable channel, also owned by NBC.

File this under "things that don't surprise me".

This really bugs me.

"'Kingpin,' which portrays Hispanics as drug dealers, murderers and unpatriotic American citizens, opens the door to more negative feelings toward Latinos in our community," the group said in a statement.
    See, this person's wrong. It does not "portray Hispanics as drug dealers, murderers, etc." It portrays the family members of a drug cartel as those things. Yes, they happen to be latino, but why should that concern anyone?

And yes, I have the exact same problem with the people who criticize The Sopranos for portraying Italians in poor light.

Get over it, and enjoy the show. Stop worrying about how it portrays "your people", whichever group that may happen to be. No halfway intelligent person equates a show like this as saying that "all Latinos are drug dealers and murderers"...

+ Reply to Thread