+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Into The West

The second episode was awesome. It was intense, touching, exciting.
    I felt so sad for Jacob (I even cried ) when he finally found his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    The second episode was awesome. It was intense, touching, exciting.
    I have to agree. It was riveting. The human aspect of all of the hardships they faced on the wagon train was very moving.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I agree this was good.... I had missed the first episode but saw a lot of that Sunday, and then this week's episode. Some branches of my family came west by wagontrain...the cholera epidemics were worse than the Indians--some of them arrived as orphans. The whole river crossing drownings, cholera and Indian attacks were very realistic judging by our family diaries.
    What wasn't clear was why Jacob waited a whole year to look for his family...ok, the first winter he didn't make it because the winter came early...but then a whole year and a 2nd winter went by before he tried. So I had a little less sympathy for him. Pretty reasonable of them to assume he was dead by then. And obviously much harder for him to find them at that point. Did I miss some explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    What wasn't clear was why Jacob waited a whole year to look for his family...ok, the first winter he didn't make it because the winter came early...but then a whole year and a 2nd winter went by before he tried.
    I was really confused by the time limit he supposedly was gone... I thought he said in his narrative two seasons, but then his kids were all so much older...???? Wasn't his daughter fully grown when he returned? And, I guess I assumed the boy he gave the necklace to was the child who was an infant when he stayed behind....? (I'm not doing too well with names)

The boy he gave the necklace to was Jacob Jr, he was the infant when they all said goodbye. I too had trouble with the timeline. He looked about 1 year old when they left Dad behind and about nine when the troops came in. I'm wondering if there were more years than I thought when he said he looked for them but CA had swallowed them up and he joined the troops and fought? I assumed with the two winters he waited and like six months to look for them...

I liked this episode a lot better than the first. More happened, there were more characters and more character development.

now, i probably didn't get the timeline right, either, but he was in the mountain for a couple of winters prior to going to look for his family in california. then it took him quite some time to make it to california, then he spent a few years looking for them before joining the troops. i got the feeling that he had given up on finding them when he said it was as if cali swallowed them up.

i LOVED the second episode. had to watch it in 2 parts b/c after the little black boy died, i was emotionally wiped out. can't wait till friday's episode!!

also, does anyone know any of the background info on this show? is it just a work of fiction or is there historical data on the wheeler family?

FORT Regular
    Good show, I watched most of it on Sunday. I can't help comparing it to "How the West was Won". A wonderful mini-series that was on years ago. I too had little sympathy for him when he stayed for two season's, Why? Then, he looked for his family, then he joined the war???

Did I miss an episode? Last night's did not even show Kerri Russell. Did anything else happen with her after she joined the Lakota and had a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom
    Did I miss an episode? Last night's did not even show Kerri Russell. Did anything else happen with her after she joined the Lakota and had a baby?
    I have so many problems following all of the story lines and characters, I'm not even sure who Kerri Russell is....? At one point last night (about an hour into the show) it looked like a "white" woman gave birth to an Indian's son... and they handed it to the grandfather. I'm not even sure who these characters were.

And the "Samson Wheeler" family toward th end that got killed (all except Carla) ... Who are they...? I am having a REALLY hard time keeping up with it.

So far. the 2nd episode was the only one that held my total interest and didn't confuse the heck out of me, although I still had some questions after that one as well.

I am enjoying the series and the "history" and just feeling sick about how the Indians' actions are (probably really were) misinterpreted by the "white man" ...

Just when they start straying from the Jacob Wheeler storyline, I get really really lost.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by katkitty
    I have so many problems following all of the story lines and characters, I'm not even sure who Kerri Russell is....? At one point last night (about an hour into the show) it looked like a "white" woman gave birth to an Indian's son... and they handed it to the grandfather. I'm not even sure who these characters were.
    Kerri Russell ("Felicity"--you might recognize the hair ) was kidnapped by the Indians who killed the rest of her section of the wagontrain. I didn't see the 3rd episode (away from a TV), but in the previews for it they showed her having a baby with her Indian husband.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast