+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TiVo Raises Price for 'Lifetime' Membership

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'd agree John. If we didn't have DirecTV I doubt we would have ever tried the Tivo to be honest. Thankfully that's not an issue!

I didn't realize that anyone owned Tivo...I thought they were a separate company. They have their own ticker symbol anyway.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think they've split with Gemstar (still majority owned by them) to form their own thing...They've recently partnered with Sony and Toshiba, too. But the CEO of DirecTV sits on the BOD for TiVo.

Originally posted by John
    BF, TiVo is owned by the same company that makes DirecTV. So, integration is the thing.
    Uh, John, where do you get this information? IIRC, TiVo is an independent company. DirecTV is owned by Hughes, which is in turn owned by General Motors.

As far as TiVo going away, I don't think so. They have moved into a licensing business plan, most particularly with DirecTV. They have licensing agreements with Sony as well.

But believe me, at just about any cost, the price (including lifetime) for a TiVo is well worth it. I bought my first two DirecTV/TiVo combo units the weekend they arrived in stores for $399 each, plus lifetime of $199. Bought three more when they hit $99. Now later this year--once they release--I'll be buying a High Definition TiVo to boot, which I imagine will be in the neighborhood of $1000. But hands down, they're the best purchase I've ever made. You can make me give up HDTV for standard tv again, you can take away my computer, my XM radio, and so forth, but don't touch my TiVo's.

And as far as Microsoft goes, trying to take over the market? They tried and it didn't work. Remember UltimateTV? I have one of these as well. Doesn't hold a candle to TiVo. Sure, you can get the software for your computer (which I've tried, BTW) and it doesn't handle recordings anywhere near as well as TiVo.

But hey, go with whatever works for you.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    But believe me, at just about any cost, the price (including lifetime) for a TiVo is well worth it.

I agree with that Steel! I do not watch TV when I am somewhere where there is no TiVo.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Steel, (welcome, by the way) I did a little more research, and apparently I was slightly incorrect about Gemstar owning TiVo and DirecTV. What they actually own is the "on-screen guide" technology, which they license to both systems.

Thanks for the welcome, John! I wasn't aware that Gemstar owned the OSG technology, that is interesting. IIRC, DirecTV is a heavy investor in TiVo, and they also invest in XM radio too.

Anyway, now that's all behind us. If you don't have a TiVo, run and get one! You won't regret it.

I have a Replay system-have had it for 3 or 4 yrs now- before Replay was purchased by SonicBlue. I love my system and have to pay $0 monthly or one-time fees. Just the initial purchase price-which was under $250.00 Have never tried or seen TiVo, but Replay (also now Showstopper and a couple of other names I think) works beautifully--and I agree, that once you have a hard disc recorder system like these you will never want to be without it. My system is a 10 hours system (can record actually about 14 hours) and I have yet to run out of room in the entire time I have had it because I can watch and delete, and if I REALLY want to keep something long-term can transfer it to tape. It is definitley the wave of the future--no matter who is delivering it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12