+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kelley Slams ABC over "Practice" Move

Kelley Slams ABC over "Practice" Move

Kelley Slams ABC over "Practice" Move
    Wed Jan 29, 5:35 PM ET
    By Josh Grossberg

David E. Kelley is ready to throw the book at ABC.

The Practice creator and executive producer--and a onetime lawyer himself--is holding the Alphabet net in contempt for moving his legal drama from its Sunday slot, where it consistently ranked first, to its new time on Mondays at 9 p.m.

Kelley, who had complained when the move was first announced, went ballistic when this week's Nielsens showed The Practice fourth place in its slot, lagging far behind its new competitors, including Fox's hit reality series Joe Millionaire.

Now, Kelley and 20th Century Fox Television, the show's production company, blasted ABC execs, accusing them of "acting in bad faith" and purposefully trying to hobble the show so the network could renegotiate the series' renewal at a lower price.

Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, Kelley calls the move "an act of stunning stupidity."

"They've killed it with one fell swoop. It didn't make any sense when they announced it; it seemed like a death sport," Kelley fumes to Daily Variety. "Today, some of us look smarter and some of us don't. I would hope [ABC] would act in their own self interest and put it back where it was doing well."

The Practice, which averaged 11.8 million viewers this season and ranked 31st when it was airing on Sunday nights, drew just 8.96 million viewers on Monday--the lowest numbers since the show's rookie season.

Despite Super Bowl promos heavily hyping its new Monday night slot, The Practice was handily beaten by NBC's Third Watch, CBS' double threat of Everybody Loves Raymond and Still Standing and Fox's Joe Millionaire, which pulled in a whopping 20 million viewers.

ABC decided to shift the Emmy-winning series to Mondays to make room for Dick Wolf's highly touted midseason entry Dragnet, starring Ed O'Neill, which is set to debut February 2.

The move was immediately seen as a major diss to the Boston-based law film led by Dylan McDermott and a ploy designed to give Alphabet the edge at the bargaining table for talks to extend the show beyond the 2003-04 television season. ABC contends that The Practice doesn't deserve the $6 million licensing fee sought by Kelley and Fox, especially since the net has been struggling to overhaul its low-rated schedule.

"It's hard to believe that they could act in such bad faith," Kelley tells Variety. "But no matter how low you set the bar of intelligence for ABC, they manage to slither under it...It's folly to try to guess what's in their heads because that would start with the presumption that there's something [in them].

According to insiders at ABC, there's some sympathy for Kelley's plight. But, network spokeswoman Alison Rou absolutely denied any malicious intent to harm one of ABC's most prestigious shows.

"We have paid an enormous price--millions of dollars an episode--to have The Practice on our schedule. One would think that gives us the right to schedule it as we see fit in order to serve the best interest of the network," Rou says. "Any suggestion that we would consciously attempt to hurt an important asset is simply ludicrous."

ABC reps also point out the decision to move The Practice was made before Joe Millionaire took off, and they expect The Practice's numbers will rise once the reality show ends its run in three weeks.

"You can't make schedule changes and expect them to pay off overnight," ABC Entertainment Television Group chairman Lloyd Braun tells Variety. "I find it hard to believe that an established show that's widely recognized as one of the best dramas on TV isn't going to be able to establish itself Mondays at 9."

Braun also notes that The Practice wasn't helped by its lead-ins, the brand new midseason dramas Veritas: The Quest (9.12 million viewers) and Miracles (8.74 million).

Being told to be patient, however, just isn't good enough for Kelley & Co., who still hold out hope ABC will move the show back to Sundays. If not, television's most prolific writer-producer has threatened to take his Practice to another network.

I haven't been to impressed with "The Practice" this season. And not to mention that they have been running reruns for the past month isn't helping to make people want to tune in either.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I haven't ever seen an episode of The Practice, and I never will.

Kelley's just expressing frustration over Girl's Club, Ally McBeal, and whatever other drivel he has on the air these days. He used to be good, until he started spreading himself so thin. Now, he's just tired.

I say, you want a better time slot, start bringing in the viewers, with more compelling scripts and acting. That can't argue with that.

Although, it IS ABC. They've kept Alias chained in the Sunday night basement for way too long, too.

I hate when networks flip flop the schedule too much. That is why I rarely visit the WB. I never knew from week to week and season to season what show would be on at any given time. I got tired of Buffy being where Seventh Heaven was supposed to be and then when I found Buffy againt hey brought in another show to confuse me. Leave my schedule alone....I can barely get it down as it is.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    The Practice used to be a great show that I really enjoyed -- the ONLY one of David E. Kelley's I might add.

The storylines have completely ridiculous outcomes most of the time now, and the way they portray the prosectution in such a negative manner has become such a turnoff that I won't watch it anymore.

Note to David: that has NOTHING to do with your timeslot.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I used to really like The Practice, but I find it's getting a little "tired" lately.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The episodes from the past 2 weeks have been HORRIBLE! My hub & I were both like "WHATEVER!" We disagreed with the outcomes of both cases. I was glad when Bobby told the clients that were suing the beer co. that they better take the settlement. I don't see how any jury would ever hold the beer co responsible for that kid becoming an alcoholic. And Eleanor's case? don't even get me started...
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Ugh, this show is REALLY almost unwatchable now.

I have been watching reruns from 1997 that my Tivo has been taping that are just great! It really shows how low this show has fallen.

Time to give up with this one David (Kelley)!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Princess

I was wondering if it was just me.....
    (Btw, what happened to Dylan McDermott?? - He used to look really good, now I think he looks like a dork!)

+ Reply to Thread