+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1341Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Always Veg, I want to like your post more than once! That being said, I started thinking about your point and then asked myself -- what compelling stories to ANY of the doctors have other than cases and hook ups? Karev had the whole "will he go to prison", but that was related to his relationship. Meredith basically has stories of work or contemplating hooking up with someone new after Derek. They toyed for a slight bit with Bailey having a storyline about juggling work and motherhood - but that was resolved by having her hook up with a man who could help with her kid.

So is it a lesbian thing? Or is it a weak writing thing? Or do we just need to accept that Greys is merely a hook up show set in a hospital?
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

FORT Fogey

AcookerTV, I do generally agree with you, and that's one thing that has *always* bothered me about Grey's. The supply closets and staff "nap rooms" seem to see more action than the operating rooms. It made me worry about being a hospital patient, if that is any accurate reflection about what goes on among the staff, plus all those personal arguments and frivolous conversations among the surgeons in the OR while the patient's life hangs in the balance. I guess Chandra thinks viewership depends upon the more sexy and personal stories than the medical ones (and maybe she's right), but I do think we've seen more medical stories involving the other doctors than we do about Arizona, especially in the past two or three years. The most I can remember her doing as a doctor/surgeon all this season is occasionally looking at a patient's chart and tossing it on the counter at the nurses' station.
    Cornholio likes this.

FORT Fogey

Don't worry - it does not reflect the reality of hospitals - you're safe! My sister works in healthcare, and she quit watching the show a while back because she got so annoyed by the details that were totally ignored in things like legal violations, doctors crossing specialties in ways that would never happen, etc. I know that Shonda used to say she scoured medical journals for storyline ideas with the patient cases, but that is definitely the ONLY connection to reality the show has! I just accept that it's not gounded in reality and go along for the ride. But I do think the show would be better if they explored some more creative storylines for the characters -- and if they stuck to them for a substantial amount of time! They show potential from time to time. Like when Arizona first lost her leg, her struggle to cope with that was compelling. But they dropped that so quickly that in the prison episode where she mentioned having a prosthetic leg, I realized I'd totally forgotten that she had one.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

As for the writing...

I understand the need for "conflict" in a good story BUT (getting back to my non interest in Minnick) conflict with an unknown character isn't necessarily impactful and it doesn't drive the viewer to desire more. It just makes the viewer want it to END.
    Moontat and Cornholio like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

If it doesn't smarten up, I'm taking it off my DVR.
    9Cloud likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    As for the writing...

I understand the need for "conflict" in a good story BUT (getting back to my non interest in Minnick) conflict with an unknown character isn't necessarily impactful and it doesn't drive the viewer to desire more. It just makes the viewer want it to END.
    The only interest I have in the Minnick story at this point is hoping Richard finds out his wife is responsible for the whole thing and getting a divorce. That's one character who has no redeeming value to me. If she left, it would be no loss (no reflection on the actress).
    Cornholio likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    The only interest I have in the Minnick story at this point is hoping Richard finds out his wife is responsible for the whole thing and getting a divorce. That's one character who has no redeeming value to me. If she left, it would be no loss (no reflection on the actress).
    I never did like her AV..
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I really like Debbie Allen but I don't like what they do with her. Her character hasn't developed at all since she was introduced. She came on as a demanding know it all and that's all she is now. After this much time at the hospital, she should show a degree of caring for someone.
    Cornholio and AlwaysVeg like this.

Whenever I need to remember what this show is really about I go back to the outbreak of syphilis or the clap or whatever in the first couple seasons that happened because of the sleeping around. This show is really gas/brake for me. You have like 3 episodes of some disaster conflict (remember season after season where everyone kept dying) and the rest of the time it rests on it's laurels of being all about their sleeping around.

Meredith has become almost completely irrelevant since Derek died I find on the show. And it's sad because as a doctor and character she has shown a lot of growth since season 1. It's kind of like watching the evolution of Carter on ER. To be fair ER had a fair amount of sleeping around too but the characters had other attributes usually. But at least ER had nurses too. I've worked in healthcare a long time. I've never seen any hospital so devoid of any nurses as this show.

I watch for filler mostly. I always liked Private Practice better so this is kind of filler show for me. I don't feel I miss anything if I miss some episodes.
    AcookerTV likes this.

I loved the recent airplane episode. In fact, I watched it twice!
    Cootie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread