+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 725 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125175575 ... LastLast
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by jette66 View Post
    Maybe Derek used the word "killed" instead of "lost" or "losing" to make Alex realize the severity of his mistake. Just a thought.
    That's what I meant by my post. - "I think he wanted him to realize that making a mistake does "kill" and though they don't mean to, the responsibility needs to be taken seriously and accepted and the doctor needs to move forward, learn from it, and hopefully be better next time. He was teaching him in that sense."

Premium Member
    I think Alex understood the severity of his mistake as soon as he saw that the patient was seizing. Not to defend what Alex did, but he is not alone in bearing responsibility for the mistake. There is a system of checking that takes place with drug orders, so if his order was incorrect it should have been caught by the pharmacist and the bedside nurse. Olivia said she gave what he ordered, but she should have questioned it if she didn't think it was right rather than just blindly following the order. Especially an order from an inexperienced intern. Sometimes mistakes get by everybody though, because we're all human. A mistake that causes severe injury or death to a patient is called a "sentinel event" and there would be a huge meeting between administration and everyone involved to figure out why it happened and what needs to be done to prevent it from happening again. It would be a gazillion times more of a big deal than the show made it out to be. Alex would be required to be at such a meeting but so would Olivia since she actually gave the IV solution and the pharmacist who dispensed it for not catching the error.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I don't think he knows. I think the Chief would have kept that a secret from the other doctors and interns.

I agree that it is the difference between "losing a patient" and "killing a patient." I think he wanted him to realize that making a mistake does "kill" and though they don't mean to, the responsibility needs to be taken seriously and accepted and the doctor needs to move forward, learn from it, and hopefully be better next time. He was teaching him in that sense.
    Right--Izzy "lost" a patient, a baby with basically half a heart, but Alex "killed" a patient. I'm not sure why Addison felt she had to put Izzy through the rite of passage--surely it happens in a natural way anyway that every doctor will lose a patient. Was the point to be sure that it was one she was really invested in to teach her not to get so close to any patient?

I'm not sure why they didn't let Alex try the experimental things--how could that have hurt? It was almost like they wanted the patient to die or be disabled to teach Alex a lesson.

Hopefully George has seen the light about Meredith and not being able to make someone love you, thanks to leech man. And also realized that his only other choice isn't the nurse who keeps hopping into bed with Alex. Loved her apology to Izzy in the elevator--couldn't have made it worse if she was trying. And really not her fault. Except that a lot of these people could learn that if you are lonely you are better off talking to a friend than hopping into bed with some random person....

Mr. Martin’s former employee told them that he didn’t have any family and friends, so there is no one to file a lawsuit. It’s really sad when you think about it. At the very least, they should do an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    It would be a gazillion times more of a big deal than the show made it out to be. Alex would be required to be at such a meeting but so would Olivia since she actually gave the IV solution and the pharmacist who dispensed it for not catching the error.
    Thanks Marleybone, I am glad to know real life would reguire more investigation. I couldn't understand why they were just glossing it over - I thought, Alex has to retake the exam, and now he makes a serious, possibly fatal error, and no one calls him into discuss it before a board??????

While I can understand an intern making this mistake, I couldn't figure out why his future in the program wasn't in the slightest jeopardy. I guess TPTB are not after realism.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    I think my favorite line of the night was Bailey to Christina, "Try having no one to make your snarky comments to for a month, my guess is you'd swallow the entire razor."
    LOL, I missed the first half of the show so I didn't hear this, but it's hysterical! That surely had to be the best one-liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I loved Christina and Burke tonight, how at first he made her breakfast and she just left anyway. Then at the end she sort of reluctantly sat down and took a bite of his toast and he just smiled and went on reading.
    Burke is a man and a half! What I wouldn't give to meet a guy with that much patience (and cooking skills)...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler View Post
    But hey, Meredith does have a revolving bedroom door. I'm surprised she doesn't have one of those customer service signs over her bed. "Now serving number 30."

If Meredith were a man the state of her sex life wouldn't even be discussed. While I don't agree with her behaviour she's done nothing wrong. Besides, it takes 2 to tango, the men weren't exactly turning her down.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    They're men, when have they been known to turn that down?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Gambler View Post
    But hey, Meredith does have a revolving bedroom door. I'm surprised she doesn't have one of those customer service signs over her bed. "Now serving number 30."
    We don't really know how many guys there were. Izzy and George refer to about 3 or 4 by "names" that they gave them and make a reference to "she's going for a record". I guess the definition of a revolving door would mean a different guy every night and with an intern's schedule, that is probably unlikely. Let's just say that she was finding comfort in the arms of strangers. however, before everyone jumps on me, please note, I'm not condoning her behavior.

+ Reply to Thread