+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 727 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124174574 ... LastLast
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovefootball View Post
    I missed last nights episode. What happened? Did the babies die? Did the mother die?
    One baby died. The mom started to leave AMA but Mer stopped her.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGal View Post
    Hearing Dr. Shepherd relating matter of factly to Alex about "James Henson-the first patient he killed”, has me worried. I have a feeling all doctors have similar stories.
    The first thought that popped into my head when he said that was Kermit the Frog.

Seriously though, I was a bit taken aback by that comment too. I don't think all doctors have stories like that. Derek made it sound like killing a patient was a right of passage or something, and I thought it was inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Seriously though, I was a bit taken aback by that comment too. I don't think all doctors have stories like that. Derek made it sound like killing a patient was a right of passage or something, and I thought it was inappropriate.

You guys are funny with your Jim Henson references.

I agree that Derek's delivery of the information was a little stilted last night and made it come off as a tad inappropriate. But I think, unfortunately, that doctors and residents that work in ICU have to make quick decisions that sometimes turn out to be the wrong ones. I would think that losing a patient is, in fact, a right of passage that doctors and residents do have to overcome (nice analogy, Marleybone) in order to proceed over that emotional hurdle. I would have liked the line to have been delivered a tad more emotionally... but I liked it that Derek was trying to reassure Alex that he wasn't alone. But maybe I'm muddying the waters between "losing a patient" and "killing a patient."

I may have missed a detail, but... does Derek know that Alex failed his exams?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I would have liked the line to have been delivered a tad more emotionally... but I liked it that Derek was trying to reassure Alex that he wasn't alone. But maybe I'm muddying the waters between "losing a patient" and "killing a patient."

I don't think he knows. I think the Chief would have kept that a secret from the other doctors and interns.

I agree that it is the difference between "losing a patient" and "killing a patient." I think he wanted him to realize that making a mistake does "kill" and though they don't mean to, the responsibility needs to be taken seriously and accepted and the doctor needs to move forward, learn from it, and hopefully be better next time. He was teaching him in that sense.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    I thought Izzy's comment to Mer was a little harsh. I know she was just upset and people say crazy things when they're upset but wow. Could she have been any more cruel?
    But hey, Meredith does have a revolving bedroom door. I'm surprised she doesn't have one of those customer service signs over her bed. "Now serving number 30."

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I agree that Derek's delivery of the information was a little stilted last night and made it come off as a tad inappropriate. But I think, unfortunately, that doctors and residents that work in ICU have to make quick decisions that sometimes turn out to be the wrong ones. I would think that losing a patient is, in fact, a right of passage that doctors and residents do have to overcome (nice analogy, Marleybone) in order to proceed over that emotional hurdle. I would have liked the line to have been delivered a tad more emotionally... but I liked it that Derek was trying to reassure Alex that he wasn't alone. But maybe I'm muddying the waters between "losing a patient" and "killing a patient."

Well said, and no I don't think you are "muddying the waters". There is a huge difference between "losing" and "killing". I think Derek could have said that differently, but I think you are right that he was trying to convey to Alex that he's not the only one who has been in that boat.

In this litigious, real world, I don't think a doctor would stand around and say they "killed" a patient. You never know who might hear you.

As for Alex, as far as I know nobody except the Chief knows that he failed his boards, and I'm thinking he may have told Meredith when they were sitting together at the hospital on Thanksgiving.

Alex did tell Meredith that day and she told him he should talk to Izzie about it but he said he couldn't because she's act to undertanding or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    In this litigious, real world, I don't think a doctor would stand around and say they "killed" a patient. You never know who might hear you.
    I wish Dr. Shepherd had phrased it differently, because "killing" a patient is different from "losing" one. That's a definite cause for concern.

Maybe Derek used the word "killed" instead of "lost" or "losing" to make Alex realize the severity of his mistake. Just a thought.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Nah, derek just seems to lack tact.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread