+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: Grey's Anatomy

I think it's a bad sign for this show when us lay-people are pointing out the logistical issues and talking about those more than the actual storylines/characters. Do they not have technical advisors on this show? Shonda's shows do start out well and go downhill fairly quick. Maybe this should have been a series finale?
    Debb70 likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I'm sure some of the criticism of Shonda Rhimes creations come to her attention occasionally. She probably just laughs all the way to the bank. LOL

FORT Fogey

I don't know ... I think when someone really cares about the show she's writing from her heart and soul (assuming that's the case and it's not all about $$$ to her), she 'd be somewhat thoughtful about the criticism, especially if it seems fairly widespread. It doesn't even seem a matter of needing technical advisers for most of what we're talking about. When a team of surgeons is flying into a hospital and community to perform a major surgery that would take major preparation and garner media attention, and then the plane never lands .... DUH, people take action to find out why immediately!
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm sure some of the criticism of Shonda Rhimes creations come to her attention occasionally. She probably just laughs all the way to the bank. LOL
    Maybe , maybe not. I just like the show I don't need to point out all it's warts.Or maybe I just don't see them

I worked in a hospital, and I saw many a top surgeon turn everything off to go and play golf - leaving his interns to pick up the slack
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I don't know ... I think when someone really cares about the show she's writing from her heart and soul (assuming that's the case and it's not all about $$$ to her), she 'd be somewhat thoughtful about the criticism, especially if it seems fairly widespread. It doesn't even seem a matter of needing technical advisers for most of what we're talking about. When a team of surgeons is flying into a hospital and community to perform a major surgery that would take major preparation and garner media attention, and then the plane never lands .... DUH, people take action to find out why immediately!
    Oh, I think it's inexcusable the way she screws up scrips with implausible and bizarre storylines that make no sense. She does it on PP too. I'm sure Scandal will follow in the same footsteps. She has to know she does it. All of her fans complain about it. Therefore, the only thing I can deduct is that she doesn't care. No one makes her do it. Yes, I find it disrespectful to the fans too. IT's very insulting to the viewers intelligence, but, I guess she doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    I still love the damn show and I'll watch every episode they make. They do feel like friends, so I'll watch to make sure they're okay
    Same here.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oh, I think it's inexcusable the way she screws up scrips with implausible and bizarre storylines that make no sense. She does it on PP too. I'm sure Scandal will follow in the same footsteps. She has to know she does it. All of her fans complain about it. Therefore, the only thing I can deduct is that she doesn't care. No one makes her do it. Yes, I find it disrespectful to the fans too. IT's very insulting to the viewers intelligence, but, I guess she doesn't care.
    Define "All"!

Let's face it....some people just take things overly seriously. I worked in a "serious" field, and I just tend to differentiate.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Define "All"!
    I should have said many. I guess it's possible some viewers enjoy implausible, bizarre storylines that defy logic or reason. Maybe that's who Shonda writes for. LOL

I'll still watch, even with all the mistakes. She did say once (as has many, many other show writers) that sometimes they have to take liberties to make it fit the script. I'm normally not too picky when I spot a couple in an episode, however, this finale episode was riddled with them. Just way too many and ones that were easy to avoid...like having a flare in the flare gun.

I guess what ticks me off the most is how it seems like she rewrote several of the characters personalities. Christina worried about her shoe...yeah, the plane just crashed, but Christina has operated with a gun to her head...on her best friends husband! She didn't even really freak out when she had an icicle protruding from her gut! She's so cool under pressure and to have her so manic was just not Christina. And they barely had Mark and Derek interact at all. They are best friends!! And the no cell phone thing..? They all carry them, yet nobody even mentioned one. Sure...I could believe that they were destroyed in the crash and that if they weren't, there would be no service where they are, but to not have one single person even mention one....it was sloppy. And did the pilot ever even try to call for help? I don't recall him calling mayday or anything. You'd think they'd at least TRY! And lastly.....they are in a forest...is there no wood for a fire? They were just lighting leaves and expecting them to burn all night? They had the presense of mind to stitch Derek, duct tape the pilot to his seat, give Arizona a tourniquet for her leg, and perform a risky heart procedure on Mark, but the guys (who fish and camp!) didn't think they needed wood to build a fire? The whole thing was ridiculous!
    combatcutie, ilja and AlwaysVeg like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

I think that some of the scripts are inplausible or overly dramatic because Shonda is writing the shows to be an escape, not a reflection of reality. There was a time when the majority of TV dramas took that approach. Remember St Elsewhere? LA Law? I remember when ER first came out, people were really surprised by just how realistic the show was for a drama. It was really an unsual approach for a show at that time, and it wasn't that long ago. Shonda is not trying to pretend to present a real life portrayal of life in a surgical ward anymore than Harry Potter realistically portrays life in a boarding school, Twilight realistically portrays teenage love triangles, or Fifty Shads of Gray accurately portrays the love lives of women in their 20s. The only intent is to entertain with a "What will they come up with next?" element. Sometimes, the responses are real and tug at you, like Izzy's response when Denny died. Other times, things are totally off the wall, like when a surgeon can have about six different specialities, or a long line of crazy things can happen to exactly the same person. No matter which direction they go, I think the intent is always to entertain, and I keep tuning in because most of the time, I am entertained. I don't want to see real life ALL the time!
    prhoshay likes this.

+ Reply to Thread