Click to see Spoiler:

Quote:

Get ready for another heartbreaking hour of Grey's Anatomy in the Season 8 finale when the docs must rally on what could be their last day working together as many of Seattle Grace's familiar faces will have already accepted jobs at other hospitals!

"There is a very complex 'thing' that occurs for many of our characters that places a lot of them in a position to discover what they're made of," the ever-tight-lipped Grey's boss Shonda Rhimes teases of the major event that erupts in the season-ender. (Seriously, she said "thing.") "I don't know that you could guess it," she says.

Challenge accepted! Could it be a forest fire that threatens to claim Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) and Derek's (Patrick Dempsey) recently finished McMansion? Maybe a rescue helicopter will fall from the roof and crush one of the docs? (Wait a minute; that sounds familiar.) Rhimes' only clue: When we asked whether this incident is similar to the devastating ferry boat crash or the rampaging shooter from seasons past, she replied, "Yes. That's a yes to both!"
"We're taking our characters on a journey they've never been on before," she adds. "To me, it's a very shocking thing that I chose to do and I was really stressed-out about doing it, and it took me a long time, so I kept taking the finale apart and putting it back together. It's also a very emotional episode. I always feel like when an episode really scares me, when I spend a lot of time with my head in my hands wondering how the fans are going to take it, and worry that they're going to, I don't know, stone me in the streets, I kind of know that it's good."
Quote:

Speaking of crazy drama, it's season finale time and creator Shonda Rhimes know how to bring the tears out like flood waters. This year will be no exception. "We know somebody dies. It's really really intense. Everyone bawled their way through the table read for the finale," Drew (April) dishes. "It's huge, it's big, it's sad, and it's intense. And it's left really unsettled. Everything is up in the air at the end of the finale." Sounds like a shocking Grey's cliffhanger if we've ever heard one.
Quote:

Rhimes' hope is that the outcome of the actors' contracts will remain secret until the finale airs. And she does offer one bit of encouragement. After killing off T.R. Knight's George in 2009, she believes "there are certain characters on this show that you can't kill. It wouldn't be acceptable not only to the audience, but to me and my vision of what this show is. They can't die."
Grey's Anatomy Finale Scoop: A Seattle Grace Exodus and a "Dark and Twisty" Event - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Grey's Anatomy Spoiler Alert: "Huge, Intense" Finale Death Had Cast "Bawling!" Plus, Hookup News - E! Online

Keck's Exclusives: Grey's Anatomy Finale Preview