+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree757Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

I got the idea that they were doing it for free because he was part of the staff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

They said at one point briefly in some argument that they do pro bono surgeries for employees there.

I wouldn't really get into comparing this to reality. In reality most hospitals have a heavy nursing staff which this hospital seems to be lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3739630;
    Maybe a minor point, but why did they all assume and accept that they wouldn't get paid for that surgery? Even if the patient's insurance denied the claim, don't hospitals work out payment plans with people? The patient was employed ... not as if he was indigent and had no way of paying over time, even if it took many years.
    There is no way an insurance plan would cover that surgery. Lab techs also don't get paid very much and there is absolutely no way he'd pay the full bill in his life time on that pay. More likely, he might get an agreement to get the vast majority of it written off and pay some--still a huge loss considering his bill would probably be in the six figures. A big concern of the Cheif was money--and for good reason. But I must keep repeating to myself that this is tv--where apparantly budgets don't exist. I am not sure why I even try to compare to the real world--I can't help myself.

FORT Fogey

Yes, I was thinking abut the real world, too, where people with no insurance coverage still have to work out a payment plan for hospitalizations, procedures, surgeries, etc. They might never get the whole bill paid, but they don't get a free ride, either, as far as I know. I don't know how it works in the real world for hospital employees ... was not aware they got freebies, especially for surgery.

In the real world surgeons have the option to work pro bono or donate their services (in trade for a nice tax write off). In my hospital we don't get any free medical treatment, including surgeries.

FORT Fogey

Thanks, CC. I can see why in this case Derek would be willing to donate his services, even if we ignore the supposition that he was doing it for a hospital staffer. Removing an "inoperable tumor" of this nature successfully would guarantee him fame forever, and even perhaps help save other people's lives. I really think he was quite humble about it, too, in the end. I like how he learned from the patient, as seen by his calm positive response to the chief firing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3740056;
    Thanks, CC. I can see why in this case Derek would be willing to donate his services, even if we ignore the supposition that he was doing it for a hospital staffer. Removing an "inoperable tumor" of this nature successfully would guarantee him fame forever, and even perhaps help save other people's lives. I really think he was quite humble about it, too, in the end. I like how he learned from the patient, as seen by his calm positive response to the chief firing him.
    Yes, and an interesting publication of this case in the AMJ would be a good motivation too!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Let's not forget that there are a lot of politics in hospitals, too. You may not get totally free surgeries, but you (and yours) stand a good chance of being "bumped to the front of the line". I don't think that's unfair.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3740082;
    Let's not forget that there are a lot of politics in hospitals, too. You may not get totally free surgeries, but you (and yours) stand a good chance of being "bumped to the front of the line". I don't think that's unfair.
    I do! If anyone should be bumped to the front of the line, it should be the most urgent cases. That's like saying a company executive's kid or other relative or friend should get a plum job instead of the applicant who is most qualified. I know it happens, but it isn't exactly fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3740052;
    Yes, I was thinking abut the real world, too, where people with no insurance coverage still have to work out a payment plan for hospitalizations, procedures, surgeries, etc. They might never get the whole bill paid, but they don't get a free ride, either, as far as I know. I don't know how it works in the real world for hospital employees ... was not aware they got freebies, especially for surgery.
    My husband is an employee for a large non-profit hospital. I had a $92,000 surgery last year. Our insurance picked up 80% and the hospital wrote off the other 20%. I guess they can do that for employees and their immediate family. We still had to pay the $250 co-pay and for all the tests and meds.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread