+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

I don't know why Alex and Izzie wouldn't be legally married. I just wonder if a real marriage is planned for Meredith and Derek this season, even if it's not a grand ceremony.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, for starters I don't know if they had a license or not... after all, they weren't planning to get married, it was supposed to be Mer's wedding.

FORT Fogey

Don't know ... but I've seen other last-minute weddings on TV shows, and they always seem to dispense with that formality (marriage license). Guess that's what's called "willing suspension of disbelief" on the part of the viewer. What were the odds of Mer's wedding gown fitting Izzie like it was made for her (same for Derek's tux on Alex)?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3738161;
    self-declared marriage on a post-it note.. which I think they both signed
    Formerly in some states that would be considered legal.

I don't know if that is still true,

Also remember that marriage as a legal instution was created to preserve (as well as clarify) property rights to land and moveables and offspring.

And it helps to remember that the presiding official (clergy or JP etc) is merely a witness to the statements of intention/vows made by the two people.

Which raises the question of whether the writer bothered to check that out. Some do and some don't. I personally prefer to have a factual basis for what I put in my writing.

For others it doesn't seem to matter so much.

FORT Fogey

one more thing, doesn't izzy have some rights to the clinic? she can still work at the clinic right?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3738879;
    one more thing, doesn't izzy have some rights to the clinic? she can still work at the clinic right?
    Good point. It's pretty much hers. She funded it and Bailey turned it over to her.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

OK. I enjoyed tonight's show, but how great should my suspension of disbelief be to think that Derek could really commandeer a surgery for two days in a row? All you folks who work in hospitals, that would absolutely never even sort of happen in the real world, right? And if it did, is there any chance at all that the surgeon wouldn't get fired? Would even the top neurosurgeon in the country be able to get away with that?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3739484;
    OK. I enjoyed tonight's show, but how great should my suspension of disbelief be to think that Derek could really commandeer a surgery for two days in a row? All you folks who work in hospitals, that would absolutely never even sort of happen in the real world, right? And if it did, is there any chance at all that the surgeon wouldn't get fired? Would even the top neurosurgeon in the country be able to get away with that?
    On long surgeries like that (one example of long surgeries of comparable length to this one is separating conjoined twins)--they typically have teams (surgeons, nurses, techs, etc) that rotate in and do it in shifts. That way you do not have people working more than 5 hours or so straight. The lead surgeons would be involved more than the others, but still stopping to rest, rehydrate, and snack. They still wouldn't be working for so long as derek. derek would not be working all by himself for that long. And no, the top neurosurgeon in the country would not get away with such blatant insubordination and also doing a surgery that there is no way to get paid for and the hospital would have to eat the costs of. I also think that a real life chief of surgery would have more balls and not take Arizona barring him from the door instead of just walking away. I also think that in real life it does make for good drama though--if surgery were my area, that would be a pretty cool thing to be involved in--if it actually would be successful that is.
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 10-30-2009 at 12:12 PM.

FORT Fogey

I think i stopped trying to compare it to real life in season 3.
    I just enjoyed it. At the end of the day it's a drama serie looking for higher rating. As compared to documentaries.

FORT Fogey

Maybe a minor point, but why did they all assume and accept that they wouldn't get paid for that surgery? Even if the patient's insurance denied the claim, don't hospitals work out payment plans with people? The patient was employed ... not as if he was indigent and had no way of paying over time, even if it took many years.

+ Reply to Thread