+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3736710;
    It's funny because Mr Buglover says it's so unrealistic that they are all having romances with each other. I cannot wait to tell him what you are all saying having worked or are working in a hospital!!
    Buglover--hi.

I actually agree with Mr Buglover. Most people do not have such close relations with the people they have to work with every day of the type we see in this show. It's just too "incestuous."

There is a lot of cross-departmental fraternization however.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3736702;
    And that's totally why I don't go to the basement of my hospital. lol Too many people dating each other in that place and the basement is the most secluded/quietest place there. I don't want to or need to know what goes on down there.
    CausingChaos--hi. Where I worked the winters could be very brutal making the use of the tunnels mandatory.

And they were--in all seasons--a lot faster than going "out" to reach other hospitals in the complex.

Faster--as long as you kept your eyes to yourself.

One of the hospitals up here has a tunnel system due to winter. Not mine though since we're self contained. lol

We see a lot of fraternizing with the police, EMT's and firemen where I am. Lots of nurses who are more than happy to run to the lab or xray or pharmacy too. lol

All of our docs except the traveling docs (who are older) are married now. Although I know at other places that have a lot of docs and younger docs you do see some intermingling going on.

Hi CMD!!! Good to see you over here on the Grey's thread! One of my all-time favorite shows!

Oh yes, it's definitely true about all the fooling around. My husband's ex is an Xray tech at our local hospital and she was getting it on with multiple people there at work. Well, that worked out well for me in the long run, LOL. A good friend of mine is a nurse there now and she says the action there among the co-workers is non-stop. She says the Dr's aren't very attractive and are furiously making up for lost time/lack of dating in their younger years.

For this episode, I didn't much care for the backwards sequence and the interviewing to get to the bottom of things. (It reminded me a little of that Seinfeld episode with the wedding in India.) I like the usual format better. But to be honest, the hardest part for me was the grisly bloody stuff. I had to cover my eyes for a good part of the show!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3735469;
    yeah, i realized that too. they all want the extreme cases, which is why i can't stand Cristina. i hope it isn't like that in real university hospital.
    by the way, anybody else misses O'maley?

I too, have been missing George, although I was already missing him last season due to the minimal amount of time he was on screen. Someone described that what George's character offered was the sweet comic relief counterbalance to the "dark and twisty" that's often so prevalent on the show. Without this balance, I'm finding that for me the show is often almost too intense.

Regarding whether TR could be described as a cougar, I'll reserve judgement not knowing the personalities and particulars of their relationship. It does seem to me that perhaps there might be a double standard based on gender. Many can accept a female being much younger, but when the guy is younger (gay or hetero) it's less likely to be tolerated. (I'm not referring to anyone here on the board, just in general)

In reading the many very favorable reviews of TR's performance in Parade since it's opening, he very well may have make a great choice to break away from Grey's at this time. TR's acting resume' is weighted heavily with his work on the stage, so hopefully he's finding the work he's doing now rewarding in a sense of accomplishment, even though obvioulsy not compensated monetarily in the same way as he was on Grey's.
    Last edited by abovethefray; 10-27-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3736710;
    It's funny because Mr Buglover says it's so unrealistic that they are all having romances with each other. I cannot wait to tell him what you are all saying having worked or are working in a hospital!!
    That happened a lot where i did my residency. It was a large hospital--and well everyone spends so much time together, things just happen. Also lots of employees mean you ahve a good chance of working in the same building as your significant other. I didn't partake since I was one of the few married residents, but we had interns and residents, attendings and nurses, many departments got it on with each other. The big difference is that in real life--you actually have work to do--so you don't have all this time to loaf about and have sex at work and sit down for lunch, etc that these residents do. Some do find time--one of my fellow residents was actually caught getting "serviced" by a nurse in a cleaning closet--the housekeeper was going to clean a room and was greeted by a sight she doesn't see often.

FORT Fogey

Starbucks--hi. And there's always an on-scene gossip service to hand out the latest developments too!

When people in trhe same hopsital/lab/serivce did start dating in our hospital complex we made sure to keep it as secret as possible (which meant no at-work-fraternizing) to keep the gossip vultures from spreading their stories.

I know--now--that people like this live vicariously through the salacious details of the various hook-ups they "report" about.

BTW--the most honest scene I ever saw on this series was in one episode in which many conversation/get togethers took place in a sub-basement that reminded me in its grunginess of every hospital--and especially morgue--I ever worked in.

I know they can't do that often--they need to make the hospitals look "glitzy" because no one would want to watch a series that took place in what an actual hospital looks like.

(While I'm talking ab out real hospitals--the docs in this series hardly ever have the truly greasy hair and pimple-marred complexions that a lot of interns/residents acquire from their over-long and difficult shifts.

The docs in the show look like they always smell nice too.
    Very unrealistic.)

FORT Fogey

Sometimes I miss bits of episodes here and there. Did Derek and Meredith ever really get married, or was it just some sort of self-declared marriage on a post-it note?

self-declared marriage on a post-it note.. which I think they both signed
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3738158;
    Sometimes I miss bits of episodes here and there. Did Derek and Meredith ever really get married, or was it just some sort of self-declared marriage on a post-it note?
    yeah, just a self-declared marriage on a post-it note. I wonder if Alex and Izzy are really married or just went through the fancy ceremony, but didn't really make it legal.

+ Reply to Thread