+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3441635;
    That thing about a father cleaning out someone's bank account was very odd.

How many adults allow their parents unlimited access to their bank accounts?

I can see that he might have access to a trust account if he were the trustee--but trustees have a legal duty NOT to clean out the beenficiary of the trust.

Sorry--but it makes no sense to me and reeks of a writer trying to make sure a character has a really hard time.

Absolutely. But this show has never been limited by realisim in their storylines. That's why a neo-natologist (Addison) can magically become the top speciailist in gynecology when the storyline calls for it. Or what a chief surgical resident can magically become the best person to run an oncology case. Or, why multiple attending physicians can be sleeping with residents, and the executives running the hospital don't bat an eye. Or, how two separate residents on two separate occasions can take actions to intentionally kill a patient, and still work there. Grey's is a show that adheres to emotion, not realism. Most of the medical things that happen on the showwould never, ever happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3441601;
    Last night's show just about ripped my heart out because today was my son's college graduation. It hit just a little too close to home, but fortunately everything went fine in real life.
    Yeah, I hear you on that one Marley (congrats by the way!) The whole cancer thing with Izzy is hard for me to watch since my sister died from it.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3441635;
    That thing about a father cleaning out someone's bank account was very odd.

How many adults allow their parents unlimited access to their bank accounts?

He probably set up a joint account while she was in med school, and just kept it nice and full for her ever since.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think co-signers can empty an account singlehandedly---at least I've heard some horror stories of separating spouses where one did that to the other....

I agree, fantastic tearjerker....Alex made me cry, Izzy made me cry, Denny made me cry, George made me cry...you name it... And the graduating seniors, and Alex's use of parts of the graduation speech--great stuff.
    but I did have one little quibble... while Izzy, Christina and Mer all looked beautiful (wow, bridesmaids' gowns one would actually like to own, who knew?!), and I loved Bailey's red and white dress (although had a bad moment when she walked into Izzy's room in it---for a brief flash thought it was a surgical gown splashed with fresh blood from all those ER traumas...) I didn't think Alex's morning coat outfit was a good choice for him---I think he would have looked better in a dinner jacket/tux. As it was it gave him a kind of pouter pigeon look and emphasized a slight double chin look he's been getting. If Izzy is going to look like a Cinderella bride she needs a matching Prince Charming look.
    I did think a bit about how her mom is going to feel that she missed it....

Having lost a sister to cancer Izzie's story line is hitting close to home with me. I loved the way the story flowed and the love Alex showed. There were so many moments: Derek asking Meredith if she wanted to do something special; Izzie standing up to walk down the aisle; O'Malley standing up to help Izzie down the aisle; Alex's vows; Alex and Izzie trying to kiss, the minister saying not yet and Alex telling him to hurry up. The whole thing was so moving I couldn't cry, and I'm a crier. I can cry at the drop of a tissue.

Izzie in Meridith's gown, Alex in Derek's morning coat, Meredith in Izzie's gown standing up for Alex, Cristina as made-of-honor because she saved Izzie's life. That's a perfect wedding.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToesJone;3443445;
    Having lost a sister to cancer Izzie's story line is hitting close to home with me. I loved the way the story flowed and the love Alex showed. There were so many moments: Derek asking Meredith if she wanted to do something special; Izzie standing up to walk down the aisle; O'Malley standing up to help Izzie down the aisle; Alex's vows; Alex and Izzie trying to kiss, the minister saying not yet and Alex telling him to hurry up. The whole thing was so moving I couldn't cry, and I'm a crier. I can cry at the drop of a tissue.

Izzie in Meridith's gown, Alex in Derek's morning coat, Meredith in Izzie's gown standing up for Alex, Cristina as made-of-honor because she saved Izzie's life. That's a perfect wedding.

TwinkleToesJone--I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

My thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

FORT Fogey

For the posts about co-signers and jopint accounts etc--I agree that can be done--but I still question an adult having a parent as a co-signer on a checking/savings account.

btw--anyone can pay into anyone else's account without being a co-signer to the account.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3443570;
    For the posts about co-signers and jopint accounts etc--I agree that can be done--but I still question an adult having a parent as a co-signer on a checking/savings account.

btw--anyone can pay into anyone else's account without being a co-signer to the account.
    My mom is a co-signer on one of my bank accounts and I'm 25. Granted I opened that account about 10 years ago when I wasn't old enough to do so on my own. Also, I'm about to make my 2nd bank account a joint account with my dad because it's a lot easier for him to then transfer money to me, instead of waiting for a check. So it can be done and it seems normal to me, esoceially if her dad is executor of the trust.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3443578;
    My mom is a co-signer on one of my bank accounts and I'm 25. Granted I opened that account about 10 years ago when I wasn't old enough to do so on my own. Also, I'm about to make my 2nd bank account a joint account with my dad because it's a lot easier for him to then transfer money to me, instead of waiting for a check. So it can be done and it seems normal to me, esoceially if her dad is executor of the trust.
    Yup yup. There are many good and valid reasons why a grown person (or married couple) would have Parents co-sign or have joint access to a bank account. And one can absolutely empty it out without the say so of the other. Happens in nasty divorces all the time.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3443570;

My mother and I have a joint acct..and im in my mid 30s. My dad had one with his parents until they died. Anymore I more question Adults that do not for many reasons.

In the case of Callie and her dad.. the money was HIS money, he was giving it to her.. the easiest way to do that would be a joint acct. I saw nothing that could be un-real about his cleaning out her acct. As someone who had been used to living like that, why would she have thought that she needed to change how her bank acct was set up. I did question why she didnt have her own cash from working at the hospital.. but then agian if she was using only one acct.. then makes sense. Dad may have also been paying bills automaticaly which is why she never had to think about doing it on her own.. you would be shocked how fast you can blow thru money when you never had to think where it was coming from.

Remember she never meant for her dad to find out, had she thought this could have happened, I am sure she may have socked some cash away if she was quick.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread