+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

IZZIE AND GEORGE LEAVING 'GREY'S ANATOMY'

KATHERINE HEIGL AND T.R. KNIGHT LEAVING 'GREY'S ANATOMY' - New York Post

By MICHAEL STARR
    T.R. Knight and Katherine Heigl, whose characters George and Izzie were once in love, are both on their way out the doors of "Grey's Anatomy's" Seattle Grace hospital, according to...
    Posted: 12:22 pm
    February 10, 2009

Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight are both leaving "Grey's Anatomy," according to co-star James Pickens Jr.

"Yes, she is," Pickens told Us Weekly when asked if Heigl is leaving the ABC hospital drama. "Wherever Katherine goes, I wish her nothing but the best."

Pickens, speaking backstage after last weekend's NAACP Awards lunch in Beverly Hills, expressed similar sentiments regarding Knight.

"He's going too," Pickens said. "He just wanted to pursue other career paths."

Both Heigl and Knight have made no secret about their unhappiness on "Grey's."

The vociferous Heigl, who's complained about storylines in the past, made even fewer friends on the show when she blamed her lack of an Emmy nomination last year on the "Grey's" writers (for not giving her more to work with).

Knight has publicly complained about his lack of screen time and was reportedly threatening to leave the show earlier this season.

Ironically, ABC entertainment chief Stephen McPherson told TV critics last month that he expected Knight to return next season (although he didn't say in what capacity that would be).

Can't say I'm sad about this, I haven't liked either character in quite some time.
    They completely ruined george for me by hooking him up with Izzie and he's been gong down hill ever since.
    Phyllis Newman.....Proof you can't turn a ho into a housewife.

FORT Fanatic

I think that the multiple relationships the writers threw these two into ruined them.

FORT Fogey

I think that the problem with each character is that they both outgrew the personna that each represented in the beginning AND other characters were brought in who represeted those qualities better.

George was supposed to be the hard worker with a lot of self-doubt. Well you can only maintain those qualities for so long. The more experience he gained, and the more obstacles he overcame and achieved, the less good reason there was for him to posess the self doubt. How could he really question his ability as a surgeon once he repaired a heart in a procedure done in an elevator? How could he really question his appeal with women once Izzy and Lexie both fell hopelessly in love with him?

Izzy was supposed to be the one with the huge heart that got in the way of her work. Well it can only get in the way so many times before one starts to question how on earth the hospital can remain open if they continue to employee her. Looking for angles is one thing, but Izzy went to the extreme too often. So either she hardens her heart, and is no longer the character she's supposed to be, or else her character remains in tact, but the logic behind her employment is gone.

Add to that that Lexie posesses both the struggles with self-doubt and the big heart in many ways that are more effective than Izzy and George, and it's like she effectively replaces the need in storylines for both characters.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Great analysis, Veruka, although I agree with boxhill that their relationships, and how they were written, really did them in.

Premium Member

So then perhaps that means Izzie will die, and George will probably go work at another hospital. I'll miss George but its not like they were using him anyways, geez he is in maybe a couple of minutes per episode.

FORT Fogey

At this point, they almost don't even have to write a departure storyline in for George. If they just never wrote him another line of dialogue, would anyone notice? I think that people could just assume that he was off working in another wing of the hospital each day, and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3314613;
    So then perhaps that means Izzie will die, and George will probably go work at another hospital. I'll miss George but its not like they were using him anyways, geez he is in maybe a couple of minutes per episode.
    Yes, and I don't think I am sorry to see her leave (with Denny )! Some of the storylines have been bizarre, and George - one of my favorites has disappeared this year so a fond adios to you George!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fan

So I'm disappointed by both exits. Like someone said, I think the relationships they had did them in. I was hoping when GA ended, it would end where it started, with the 5 interns but clearly that dream has gone out the window. Personally I don't blame them for wanting out. What they've done to the Izzie character (extremely disappointed she and Alex never had a shot at a real relationship) and them simply making George disappear is ridic. Oh well.

I wonder what made James spill the beans before an official announcement has been made.
    Last edited by lookinout2; 02-10-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    I've got that new "I'm a single girl swag"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm actually a little disappointed that they are both leaving. I like both of their characters, but the writers did not do them any justice at all. Some of Izzie's s/l are so insane
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I agree with Veruka's analysis. I am not sorry to see either of them go, to be honest. I had read that they wanted to write George off in a way to allow him to return. I wonder if they will make Izzie die of whatever sickness she has. That would be the best exit for her, in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread