+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

That's one aspect of Derek's character that I just don't get. They present him as this rather hoity-toity preppy guy. He comes from a somewhat well-off family that has produced a boatload of doctors. He was married to a woman that we know from Private Practice came from a pedigree background. Everything about him says "Ivy league, country club type". And yet, they have him driving this rustic military-like vehicle with a spare tire on the hood, living in a camper. Something there just doesn't work for me.

I agree Veruka. It does seem off. He really enjoys the high society stuff, his coats, his ties, his scarfs, then he lives in a trailer (Now he does own all of the land that it sits on) and drives this beat up old jeep. Too weird.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just finished watchnig this episode and I have to say there were parts that were really old-school Grey's. Now if only an entire episode could be like that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3287504;
    I agree Veruka. It does seem off. He really enjoys the high society stuff, his coats, his ties, his scarfs, then he lives in a trailer (Now he does own all of the land that it sits on) and drives this beat up old jeep. Too weird.
    In this respect, he reminds me of Noah Wylie's Dr. Carter on ER. He's comfortable in whatever situation he might find himself in...hoity-toity, or Joe Regular.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I know that all of Derek's siblings are doctors of some sort, but I don't know that we have ever been told that he was raised in a well to-do family. I don't think that we were told that he wasn't, I just don't think that it is something that has been mentioned per se. I do know that his mom was a nurse in the Navy but I don't know if they ever said what his father did for a living.

We know from previous seasons of Grey's that Addison was raised with a lot of money and that her family is very prominent. I know that Derek "fit" in with her family, but I don't know if we have ever been told that his family travelled in the same circles as Addisons. I know that Addison and Derek talked about him wanting to live in the trailor and liking it and she did not. She wanted the house in New York and the house in the Hamptons, not Derek. We do know that when he bought the land in Seattle his plan was to build a house on it and until that was ready he bought the trailer to live in.

The major discrepancy that I have seen is that in Season 1, Derek had a black car .... the one he and Meredith made out in while the party was going on in her house. Bailey caught them in the car and that is how she found out about them. In Season 3 we saw the jeep for the first time when they guys went camping. I don't know when or how Derek's car changed from Season 1 to Season 3 ....

Ultimately, what I think this says is that Derek is not concerned with materialistic things overall. And this is why it doesn't matter to him where he lives, per se.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I agree, I never assumed that HE was from a Well-To-Do Family.. Just Addison. I wish I had it on my DVR still, but I tought that he or his mother mentioned where his dad worked or what he did while she was on last week.

As for his enjoyment of the nicer things.. I think thats more of his being a Doc, looking the part per se. I never once got a Ivy league, country club type vibe from him.. in fact I got the opposite. I also got the feeling that was some of the underlying issue with him and Addison.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3289270;
    I agree, I never assumed that HE was from a Well-To-Do Family.. Just Addison. I wish I had it on my DVR still, but I tought that he or his mother mentioned where his dad worked or what he did while she was on last week.

As for his enjoyment of the nicer things.. I think thats more of his being a Doc, looking the part per se. I never once got a Ivy league, country club type vibe from him.. in fact I got the opposite. I also got the feeling that was some of the underlying issue with him and Addison.
    Except, that if you bring the Private Practice info into it -- When Addision's brother was visiting her on that show, he took issue with the SWAT guy not being in Addision's "circle". There was no indication there that it was a "here we go again" kind of problem. He'd been fine with Derek, but didn't approve of a working class cop.

Whether it is from his childhood or where he is in life now, Derek comes across to me as a well-to-do pretty boy. It's in his clothes, his hair, his initial distaste to living in a "dorm" at Meredith's house, etc. The only two things that don't fit in with that are his living in the camper when he was, and that car. As a prop, the car does not make sense to the character IMO.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Hes a Doctor. Hes not a cop.. there is a big difference. SWAT Dude is never gonna make more than 55k a year.. now Derek on the other hand.. makes that in a week. I disagree the car is perfect for him.. and he said why he was living in the camper, so I never saw any part of his story line that just didn't fit in.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am currently enjoying watching Grey's from its first episodes on Sunday nights. The youth of the actors, the storylines that I had forgotten....really fun to see it all. Saw the one last night where the gay patient was hitting on "George"; he assured the guy that he was not gay. I see it all differently now.

I've actually wondered why they didn't write a gay storyline for "George". With all of the trouble he's had with women, that would be a perfectly natural progression.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3289397;
    I am currently enjoying watching Grey's from its first episodes on Sunday nights. The youth of the actors, the storylines that I had forgotten....really fun to see it all. Saw the one last night where the gay patient was hitting on "George"; he assured the guy that he was not gay. I see it all differently now.

I've actually wondered why they didn't write a gay storyline for "George". With all of the trouble he's had with women, that would be a perfectly natural progression.
    I don't think I trust these writers to write that effectively. Wouldn't there be a huge risk of it coming across as "BECAUSE he can't get a woman, he's decided to try men" rather than an honest realization of the sexuality that has always been a part of him? To me, it would come across as sexuality being something that a person chooses rather than being who he is.

+ Reply to Thread