+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fan

Re: Grey's Anatomy

IA, that KH probably should've kept her mouth shut about why she didn't submit herself for the Emmys but I'd probably be more put off by her comment if it weren't true and I still don't know if she meant it in a jerky kind of way. And if tptb were so displeased by her comments then they could have simply not written for her. They could've done KH the way they've done TR the last few episodes or the way they've done since he's been there.

Speaking of the two of them, they should be getting more screen time instead of hiring new people. And if I'm not mistaken two other new interns have been cast. For me personally, I was starting to like/root for Izzie again because of her new relationship with Alex. To me that was the perfect opportunity to get people to care for again. Don't most people like watching a good, real love story blossoming? I still can't believe we're dealing again with a dead Denny.

Slightly OT - I haven't been crazy about Private Practice either. I wonder if it's Shonda & her overall ideas, the network, or the writers they hire to execute the stories for both shows.
    I've got that new "I'm a single girl swag"

I thought the Callie breakdown was OTT, just like pretty much everything else in this show is OTT.
    The dialogue is especially irritating at times, no one talks the way they do on this show with the constant repeating of lines or phrases.
    I don't see the need to add Melissa George to the cast, unless she is to be there for a few weeks then something dramatic happens to her. Just adding her as a long-term extra character seems pointless.
    I do enjoy the show for the most part, but find myself rolling my eys when it takes one of it's overly dramatic turns, which is usually at least once every episode.
    "That's Numberwang!"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I haven't watched this PP tape yet--got a lot of laughs out of reading the comments and imagining it. Now I have Denny in my head first going, I'm here for you, as in I'm here to support you, and then going, I'm here for you, as in I"m here as an emissary of death to pick you up for the boatride to Hades.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3235146;
    I thought the Callie breakdown was OTT, just like pretty much everything else in this show is OTT.
    The dialogue is especially irritating at times, no one talks the way they do on this show with the constant repeating of lines or phrases.
    I don't see the need to add Melissa George to the cast, unless she is to be there for a few weeks then something dramatic happens to her. Just adding her as a long-term extra character seems pointless.
    I do enjoy the show for the most part, but find myself rolling my eys when it takes one of it's overly dramatic turns, which is usually at least once every episode.
    Very good comments. I agree with the over-the-top dialogue and social situations and interactions. I enjoy the cases much more than the inter-personal relationships.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3235841;
    Very good comments. I agree with the over-the-top dialogue and social situations and interactions. I enjoy the cases much more than the inter-personal relationships.
    I like the combination of the cases and the relationships. I wouldnt' want the show to evolve into a light version of House, where we tuned in each week just to see what the latest surgical case was. But the show also gets boring to me when they focus totally on the relationsships, and forget they work in a hospital. For me, the very best episodes they've ever done are the ones where there are parallels between the patient stories and the personal stories of the doctors. Like when Alex is yelling at a patient for not taking care of their child, and you know that he's really angry at Izzy for not taking care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3235859;
    For me, the very best episodes they've ever done are the ones where there are parallels between the patient stories and the personal stories of the doctors. Like when Alex is yelling at a patient for not taking care of their child, and you know that he's really angry at Izzy for not taking care of him.
    I think in Alex's case, it's because he's angry that he had to be the caregiver to his mother instead of her taking care of him. His anger issues stem from his upbringing and storylines revolving around drunks and people who don't care for their children really hit a nerve with him. I don't think he expects Izzy to take care of him, in fact I think he's rather annoyed by her nurturing side at times because he's not used to it.

On a separate topic, I liked seeing Christina jealous that "Deth" had a BFF before her but I don't think I want to see that character become a regular. And I'm really peeved by the previews showing the interns operating on one of their own just because they don't feel like they are being taught well. For one thing, they need to learn to speak up. Nobody wants a timid doctor. ER had a story this past week where an intern was too timid to speak up and a patient died. Second of all, it's very irresponsible to be taking matters into their own hands like they are and I wouldn't want a surgeon operating on me who takes such risks. I can see some people getting booted out of the program over this, if Meredith isn't able to cover for Lexie. And I don't know that Meredith will, given her tenuous relationship with her.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 11-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

FORT Fogey

I just threw that out as a random example -- not a specific thing that had happened on the show. There are those moments where you see something happening between a doctor and a patient, and recognize that it's dawning on them that it applies to their personal life as well. That's what I was referring to, but I was sloppy int he way I explained it.

For a better explanation of a specific time when they've done this -- last season when Callie was involved in treating the boy stuck in cement, she had a scene where she was telling the girl the boy had a crush on that she should do what seemed right to her instead of holding back her true feelings because of what others may thing. It was right as her character was struggling with the idea of having feelings for Hahn, and it was very evident that she was giving advice to the girl, and then realizing she needed to listen to it herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3235859;
    I like the combination of the cases and the relationships. I wouldnt' want the show to evolve into a light version of House, where we tuned in each week just to see what the latest surgical case was. But the show also gets boring to me when they focus totally on the relationsships, and forget they work in a hospital. For me, the very best episodes they've ever done are the ones where there are parallels between the patient stories and the personal stories of the doctors. Like when Alex is yelling at a patient for not taking care of their child, and you know that he's really angry at Izzy for not taking care of him.
    I tend to agree with you on this...... There are a number of story lines that are ridiculous and almost outrageous on the level of relationships, and maybe this is an attempt to "avoid" boring ........but I am not interested in a soap opera focus on relationships. I like stories that develop the characters - I love to see people evolve and learn from their mistakes.

I am frustrated by Izzy, because it never seems like she evolves, she progresses and then regresses - it drives me crazy! They were doing something similar with Alex for awhile.
    I think Alex is now making progress, and wish that something more could have happened with Addison when she was there because I think she was bringing out the best in him. Now they have him connected to anther looney - even if Izzy will possibly have a brain tumor to live or die with (which for me is the only rational explanation for the continuous Denny exploitation) - Alex deserves something better!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3235895;
    I tend to agree with you on this...... There are a number of story lines that are ridiculous and almost outrageous on the level of relationships, and maybe this is an attempt to "avoid" boring ........but I am not interested in a soap opera focus on relationships. I like stories that develop the characters - I love to see people evolve and learn from their mistakes.

I am frustrated by Izzy, because it never seems like she evolves, she progresses and then regresses - it drives me crazy! They were doing something similar with Alex for awhile.
    I think Alex is now making progress, and wish that something more could have happened with Addison when she was there because I think she was bringing out the best in him. Now they have him connected to anther looney - even if Izzy will possibly have a brain tumor to live or die with (which for me is the only rational explanation for the continuous Denny exploitation) - Alex deserves something better!

I think you make a great point about the lack of evolution with Izzy. It's like the writers are so stuck at the idea of her being the surgeon with a heart of gold whose concern for patients gets in the way of her advancement that they forget to let her ... advance. That kind of character pigeonholing can work on a sit-com for a supporting character, but it rarely works in drama.

FORT Fan

I agree with everyone's comments about tptb holding Izzie back. I tuned out for most of season 4 but did they ever do anything more with Izzie and her daughter. If I'm not mistaken, she came into the hospital once but I can't remember what happened after that. I thought by now they would've done more with that story.
    I've got that new "I'm a single girl swag"

+ Reply to Thread