+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Heigl says no thanks, Emmy, it's undeserved - Yahoo! News

Heigl says no thanks, Emmy, it's undeserved By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

Thu Jun 12, 7:27 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Katherine Heigl won't be chewing her manicure at this year's Emmy ceremony: She says she didn't seek a nomination because "Grey's Anatomy" failed to deliver the goods for an award-worthy performance.

Heigl, who was honored as best supporting actress in a drama last year for the ABC series, declined to put her name in consideration for a bid, a spokeswoman for the actress said Wednesday.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization" decided against competing, Heigl said in a written statement provided by her publicist, Melissa Kates, who was contacted by the AP.

"In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials," added Heigl. She plays Dr. Izzie Stevens on "Grey's Anatomy," which slipped in the ratings this past season but remained a top 10 show.

An after-hours message left with a publicist for "Grey's Anatomy" creator and executive producer Shonda Rhimes was not immediately returned Wednesday night.

Heigl, who shot to box-office success last summer with the comedy "Knocked Up," has established herself as one of Hollywood's rare voices of candor.

In a Vanity Fair magazine interview published in January, she called the hit film "a little sexist" and said that it painted women as "shrews, as humorless and uptight," while the male characters were lovable and goofy.

Heigl also was outspoken when "Grey's" castmates Isaiah Washington and T.R. Knight clashed last year over Washington's alleged use of a homophobic slur.

"I'm going to be really honest right now, he needs to just not speak in public. Period," Heigl said at one point of Washington, who ended up being booted from the medical drama.

Nominations for the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards will be announced July 17. The ceremony is Sept. 21.

FORT Fogey

As Katherine Heigl's star has been rising, she's been getting more and more on my nerves, and this move really seals it for me. No one would think poorly of her if she won an Emmy this year, but not next year. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever (any reason with good motivation that is) for her to issue such a release.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Veruka - I agree - I almost felt as if it were a dig on the writer's because they didn't give her good enough material to work with. Just rubbed me the wrong way and I normally like her - find her classy and in a different breed of some of the younger actresses. This just irked me.

FORT Fogey

I think that it was either a dig at the writers, or else a rationalization to the public as to why she would not be a back to back Emmy winner - kind of like an athlete winning a championship, and then never competing again so that no one could say he was great and then fell.

If it was intended as a dig to the writers, I hope they make her character wallpaper in the coming season. She was never intended to be anything more than a supporting player. That she got enough good material to get an Emmy was an absolute gift (and a lot of hard work from her publicist). If she shows appreciation like that, she doesn't deserve anything more.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. She must be in love with the sound of her own voice....or what else would be her point? And she blamed Isaiah Washington for running his mouth too much when the T. R. Knight incident occurred? "Pot, meet kettle." She needs to come to the realization that all of the things that fall from her mouth are not pearls, and that we are "just not that into her."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Clearly she never learned that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Hollywood is fickle, and I can't imagine that taking shots at several pieces of your body of work in the press does much to help yourself. I could see that being a major turnoff, as far as prospective employers are concerned. She evidently doesn't realize that she's very lucky to have it so good-- and that popularity and demand can disappear as easily as they came to her. I also can't believe that her publicist thought this was a good idea.

The sense of entitlement is grating, to say the least, and Veruka, I'm with you, every time she opens her mouth, I seem to lose more respect for her.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I'm wondering if she isn't hoping that with statements like this, she'll be let out of her contract and then she can pursue her movie career.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3053313;
    I'm wondering if she isn't hoping that with statements like this, she'll be let out of her contract and then she can pursue her movie career.
    Given that she's trashed some of the movies she did (saying that Knocked Up was demeaning to women, etc) I kind of wonder what kind of movie career she can really build for herself. How can a studio really trust her to get out and promote a movie when she pulls stuff like this all the time? Someone needs to do her a favor and stick a pin into that big ol' head of hers before it swells to the point of damaging her.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

She is one person that needs to just shut her mouth and go away. I have nothing else to really say about her.. sigh... stfu Kathy!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fanatic

i stopped watching this show about 1.5 years ago. started to watch it again tonite, and was turned off by the immature bantor at the beginning. turned to watch something else, then came back 30 min later...and more immature bantor. what such poor writing! how disappointing.

+ Reply to Thread