+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

I think that Hahn and Christina's lack of teaching skills illustrates something that is well known and accepted -- not all talented people teach well. In order to teach effectively, you have to be able to take apart the process of doing something, and relate it to people who don't have all the knowledge that you do. Not everyone can do that. For people who are highly intelligent and can't relate to those who aren't, there's a very very easy tendency to just give up and say "oh, just let me do that". Both Hahn and Christina tend to display that sort of behavior. They're so focused on getting the job done that they don't want to have to slow down and do something else (teach) at the expense of getting the job done.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3021409;
    I think that Hahn and Christina's lack of teaching skills illustrates something that is well known and accepted -- not all talented people teach well.
    I think that's so true...but with Hahn, it seemed that she was willing to teach all the other residents...except Cristina. She would specifically pick other residents rather than Cristina, who was more qualified. Now, in the beginning I thought Hahn was trying to teach her to stop brownnosing and stop being so eager (which I think she even told her at one point), which wouldn't have been horrible. But it just got to be abusive.

That said, the Chief having an intern basically fetching for him rather than letting him progress to be a good doctor (George) is also a form of abuse. I'm glad George spoke up...although I think in the real world, he would've been punished for speaking like that to the Chief.

I agree with girlsmom that this is a drama and I enjoyed watching it...maybe because it's so unrealistic!

Also, I wanted to hit Derek on the head with a stick! He was thinking about selling that land with a gorgeous view of Seattle just for a woman?! EESSH! Get a spine, dude, and make your own life for yourself. If the relationship is right, she will join you...or you can make a home together somewhere else later. But don't give it all up before any of that is settled... The only reason he's going to keep that land is because they're back together...

I liked the ending when Meredith basically snapped at Derek for taking so long to get there. I think she was embarrassed and frustrated and unsure, and it was cute. But when they kept missing each other, I was like, "Don't you people have cell phones?"

On a completely different note, did Burke own that apartment Cristina and Callie are living in? If so, that's the least he could've done for her--give her a place to live. Or is it an apartment that he was renting, and now she's renting? I would think he owned it, given his rank at the hospital and the income that probably accompanied it.

And regarding Alex and Izzie...There was some good acting by both actors in that finale. Alex being so abusive towards her...and her still understanding and being a friend to him when it really mattered...those two...wow.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-25-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3021419;
    I think that's so true...but with Hahn, it seemed that she was willing to teach all the other residents...except Cristina. She would specifically pick other residents rather than Cristina, who was more qualified. Now, in the beginning I thought Hahn was trying to teach her to stop brownnosing and stop being so eager (which I think she even told her at one point), which wouldn't have been horrible. But it just got to be abusive.

That said, the Chief having an intern basically fetching for him rather than letting him progress to be a good doctor (George) is also a form of abuse. I'm glad George spoke up...although I think in the real world, he would've been punished for speaking like that to the Chief.

I agree with girlsmom that this is a drama and I enjoyed watching it...maybe because it's so unrealistic!

Also, I wanted to hit Derek on the head with a stick! He was thinking about selling that land with a gorgeous view of Seattle just for a woman?! EESSH! Get a spine, dude, and make your own life for yourself. If the relationship is right, she will join you...or you can make a home together somewhere else later. But don't give it all up before any of that is settled... The only reason he's going to keep that land is because they're back together...

I liked the ending when Meredith basically snapped at Derek for taking so long to get there. I think she was embarrassed and frustrated and unsure, and it was cute. But when they kept missing each other, I was like, "Don't you people have cell phones?"
    On a completely different note, did Burke own that apartment Cristina and Callie are living in? If so, that's the least he could've done for her--give her a place to live. Or is it an apartment that he was renting, and now she's renting? I would think he owned it, given his rank at the hospital and the income that probably accompanied it.

And regarding Alex and Izzie...There was some good acting by both actors in that finale. Alex being so abusive towards her...and her still understanding and being a friend to him when it really mattered...those two...wow.
    Yep, that is perhaps that most basic omission in last night's show and yet another reason that I feel that it's not really meant to be realistic. The "Chief's" first responsibility at a teaching hospital is to TRAIN new docs. To use a valuable intern as his errand boy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the edge. Again, this is why it's a ridiculous show, but fun to watch. The unending absurdities can't be unintentional. Hopefully nobody thinks this is the way hospitals, especially top notch training hospitals, are truly run. Too bad next season is so far away. I hope my trust that next season's premier will not undo all the progress is not unfounded.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, even I, who does not carry a cellphone, know that I'm an anomaly...and that anyone Derek and Mer's age would certainly have one with them at all times. What if they got paged to the hospital and had to call in? I kept thinking, cell phone, people? I finally decided that they'd decided they needed to be able to SEE the person when they had this confrontation....
    Now what would have happened to the relationship if the last subject in the experiment had also died?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3021409;
    I think that Hahn and Christina's lack of teaching skills illustrates something that is well known and accepted -- not all talented people teach well. In order to teach effectively, you have to be able to take apart the process of doing something, and relate it to people who don't have all the knowledge that you do. Not everyone can do that. For people who are highly intelligent and can't relate to those who aren't, there's a very very easy tendency to just give up and say "oh, just let me do that". Both Hahn and Christina tend to display that sort of behavior. They're so focused on getting the job done that they don't want to have to slow down and do something else (teach) at the expense of getting the job done.
    That is very true. I'm the same way myself. I am not rude about it, but training people is my difficulty. I am definitely not the best person when the student nurses come or when new staff is hired and they need to be shown procedures in our hospital. I fight the urge constantly to do everything myself. That said, I do think that that can be said of Hahn, but also part of her issues with Christina is personal. There can be a variety of ways that can try to explain why she doesn't like her, but I do think they are a lot alike and sometimes people who are alike just don't get along.

If the last patient had died, Derek would have blamed Merideth for making him do the surgery and it would have been a very hard road for them to get together after that.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3025193;
    If the last patient had died, Derek would have blamed Merideth for making him do the surgery and it would have been a very hard road for them to get together after that.
    Very true. So in many ways, I think the coverse is also true. Since the last patient lived, they were on the high of that success in making the choice to be back together, rather than it being a well-thought out decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3017629;
    Was that an Amy Winehouse song at the end??

The way they wrapped every relationship storyline up (albeit not in a neat package) gave this episode more of a series finale instead of a season finale. I know there are all kinds of issues, but they were somewhat happy-feely issues and not "OMG, what is going to happen next????" season finale cliffhanger moments. But I kind of like it this way.

Alex and Izzy need to be together. I like this pairing much, much better.

George and Lexie... I approve.

And how cute was it seeing LJ kissing Jordin Sparks? (Jeremy and the girl that survived... )
    I don't remember hearing an Amy Winehouse song?
    Are you maybe thinking of the song "Hometown Glory" by Adele?
    it wasn't right at the end... but I was happy to hear that song near the end of the episode. I just love it
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3025421;
    I don't remember hearing an Amy Winehouse song?
    Are you maybe thinking of the song "Hometown Glory" by Adele?
    it wasn't right at the end... but I was happy to hear that song near the end of the episode. I just love it
    That is the song. I loved it and was wondering who the artist was. Grey's always has the best songs.

They sure do! Usually I end up searching for the ones I don't know.
    Last episode was choc full of songs I had just dowloaded a couple of days before.
    I felt so delightfully relevent *lol*
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread