+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree545Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

  1. #4551
    FORT Fogey CantGetNuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3020038;
    I have to weigh in on a couple of things.

    I don't see why there is even talk of making George gay. He is an actor playing a role, if he hadn't come out would any of you have wanted his character to be gay?I think it would ghettoize him as a gay man who could only play gay characters. There is enough typecasting already.

    And...it is Cristina...not Christina. That is a minor thing but it's been driving me loopy
    Actually if I remember correctly there were some of us who thought it would be a great story line if the character George ended up being gay. This was before the actor was outed. I still do think it would be a great story line. It could explain why he has the worst relationships with women and why he is so socially awkward around men.

  2. #4552
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3020038;
    I have to weigh in on a couple of things.

    I don't see why there is even talk of making George gay. He is an actor playing a role, if he hadn't come out would any of you have wanted his character to be gay? I think it would ghettoize him as a gay man who could only play gay characters. There is enough typecasting already.

    And...it is Cristina...not Christina. That is a minor thing but it's been driving me loopy

    Honestly, the real life actor being gay had nothing to do with my desire to see George be gay. I feel that his character with his crazy relationships with women is a good set up for a gay character IF the writers were in search of a gay couple, which they were. I did not see that Callie getting involved in a gay relationship was as likely as George doing so and I don't believe that the fact that the actor is gay should preclude that storyline. My original comment was simply that it didn't make sense to me for the Callie character to become gay, whereas it would make sense for the George character. I don't understand the resistance to having George be gay just because the actor is gay. But, I guess we agree to disagree on this not so momentous issue.

  3. #4553
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarcusWelby;3018924;
    As far as Hahn always being gay... I don't think so... there was an episode close tot he beginning of the season where she was REALLY mean to Christina and told her... quit kissing up to me... I don't sleep with women so it won't work... basically attacking her relationship with Burke implying their was the only reason she had any credibility at all.
    I remember that, too! I just don't get the Hahn/Callie relationship. To me, there was nothing that makes their mutual attraction to each other seem real. I guess I could buy Grey and Yang forging to have a relationship better than I could Hahn/Callie. I hope the writers do a good job of it and don't just turn it into an exploitative storyline...

    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;3017939;
    Chief shutting up Hahn (about time someone stepped in to help Christina)
    But you know, it was good that Christina heard what the chief said to Hahn--about needing to be a better teacher--because that's what made her realize that SHE needed to be a better teacher, too. It was only then that she began to teach Lexie...before that, Christina was just as dismissive to her interns as Hahn was to her...

    I actually like Lexie.

    And Rose seems sweet...she clearly knows that Derek still loves Meredith, and I think she will not be too stunned when he breaks up with her. I don't think she'll boil a bunny in his kitchen.

    And I know this is a show, but I cannot believe how everyone talks to the Chief without any repercussions. I think in the real world, Grey would've gotten fired for talking to him that way. It takes two to make a mistake like that, and her mother was equally responsible for everything that happened to her. The Chief didn't cause all of it--she was there, too, and caused hurt in his relationship with his wife as well...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.

  4. #4554
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,708

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3019292;
    I have felt right along that Hahn may be gay and that, yes, she was jealous of Yang. Her treatment of Yang was beyond arrogance and was the first clue to me that a gay storyline might develop.
    ??? I didn't follow that line of reasoning at all. I don't see that's she "jealous" of Yang, first of all... jealous of what? Hahn is the more experienced and better doctor at this point, so not professionally jealous. There's no romantic entanglement that we know of, so not personally jealous. We've been told Cristina reminds her of a young her...not sure why that should make her not like Yang but apparently it does.
    Secondly, I don't see why her arrogance towards Yang has anything to do with the gay storyline at all. I assume you aren't implying that lesbians are unusually arrogant so that therefore that would be a clue to her sexual orientation. What did I miss?

  5. #4555
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3020428;
    ??? I didn't follow that line of reasoning at all. I don't see that's she "jealous" of Yang, first of all... jealous of what? Hahn is the more experienced and better doctor at this point, so not professionally jealous. There's no romantic entanglement that we know of, so not personally jealous. We've been told Cristina reminds her of a young her...not sure why that should make her not like Yang but apparently it does.
    Secondly, I don't see why her arrogance towards Yang has anything to do with the gay storyline at all. I assume you aren't implying that lesbians are unusually arrogant so that therefore that would be a clue to her sexual orientation. What did I miss?
    I always took Hahn's attitude as resentment toward Yang in a PERSONAL sense. When I said beyond arrogance, I meant more than just arrogance, but other traits such as jealousy. (Hahn was a reknown surgeon, by definition she would most likely be arrogant in my book. ) She excluded Yang, imo, because she saw her as a rival for Callie's affection. This was just the way it impressed me. The resentment seemed to single out Yang, not just that she was a bad teacher. I felt, again, that it was due to the sexual interest that Hahn had for Callie. She was pushing out a potential rival. This is just the way the relationship impressed me and had nothing to do with any pre-conceived notion of Hahn being gay or not being gay. It was purely in response to Hahn's treatment of Yang. In no way would I ever suggest that arrogance would be related to sexual orientation.

    Also: I so agree about the residents mouthing off to the staff. They'd be out of there asap according to my hubby's (cardiologist for 25 years) experience.
    Last edited by girlsmom; 05-24-2008 at 02:07 PM.

  6. #4556
    Helplessly Hoping AsIs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,879

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3019074;
    I understand the political implications, but honestly I see George as a very lost character in terms of his love life. MANY young actors co-starring in major roles don't get more roles ever after their series end: gay or straight. I'm not saying that because the actor playing George is gay that therefore George should be gay. I'm just saying that I think it would have been interesting to make George gay, instead of Callie, and the fact that the actor is gay should not preclude this from happening.

    I also disagree with your idea that a gay playing a gay character is perceived as less acting than a straight playing a straight character. I imagine that in the vast majority of cases any kissing scenes are between two actors, straight or gay. In addition he's been acting on the series for 2- 3 years, so he was hired as an actor imo. So I guess I'm confused about your argument.
    If the incident hadn't happened last year it might have been possible. But at this point making TR's character gay would be polical kryptonite. And there were rumors awhile back that they were going to give Sandra Oh's character Christina a female lover from the past. So the idea of having two female characters hookup on the show has been around for awhile.

    Also, there are more female lead characters than male lead characters on the show, so I think it is easier for them to integrate it.

    As long as they handle it well, I don't care who they do the storyline with. Fingers crossed that they continue handling this well.

    Also, just one point, what Hahn said to Christina doesn't mean a thing. There are closeted gay people who are married, vote against gay initiatives, deflect away from their sexuality. It is a very common thing. And I think she was commenting on Christina's history of sleeping with her mentors than she was on her own sexuality.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

  7. #4557
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,708

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3020443;
    I always took Hahn's attitude as resentment toward Yang in a PERSONAL sense. When I said beyond arrogance, I meant more than just arrogance, but other traits such as jealousy. (Hahn was a reknown surgeon, by definition she would most likely be arrogant in my book. ) She excluded Yang, imo, because she saw her as a rival for Callie's affection. This was just the way it impressed me. The resentment seemed to single out Yang, not just that she was a bad teacher. I felt, again, that it was due to the sexual interest that Hahn had for Callie. She was pushing out a potential rival. This is just the way the relationship impressed me and had nothing to do with any pre-conceived notion of Hahn being gay or not being gay. It was purely in response to Hahn's treatment of Yang. In no way would I ever suggest that arrogance would be related to sexual orientation.

    Also: I so agree about the residents mouthing off to the staff. They'd be out of there asap according to my hubby's (cardiologist for 25 years) experience.
    First, ditto on the way the young 'uns treat the chief---the only time the man lays down the law is occasionally with the mostly higher level doctors...as with the cement boy discussion.
    Back to Hahn....I can't imagine why Hahn would think Callie was interested in Yang... because she rooms with her? Yang is clearly more "interested" in Hahn (if only for her medical expertise) whenever Hahn, Callie and Yang are together, and Yang is clearly emotionally bonded to Meredith, not Callie.
    I think you are just responding to the fact that there's been NO good explanation for Hahn's hostility to Yang. So you're working with the scraps of info we've been given about Hahn. Maybe if she really thought Yang slept her way to the top via Burke, she'd be disgusted by her? But by now she must know that people she respects think Yang really is good--and she's said Yang reminds her of herself.... which we've interpreted to mean, Yang and she were both eager, cutthroat gogetters. Now maybe it will come out that Hahn did sleep with someone to get ahead, and not someone she loved, and was disgusted by her own behavior and therefore attributes that to Yang, especially since the wedding fell through, so Hahn thinks there wasn't love there.
    I just hope they give us some more info next season as to why Hahn dislikes Yang so much. Because, really, so far we've got nothing. Usually people like the people who remind them of a young them, not hate them!

  8. #4558
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3020487;
    I just hope they give us some more info next season as to why Hahn dislikes Yang so much. Because, really, so far we've got nothing. Usually people like the people who remind them of a young them, not hate them!
    There are some very successful women who want to keep other women down...so that they will never have competition. They like being the Queen Bee. But you know--Hahn and Cristina are alike in the way they treat their underlings--dismissively. I think Cristina will turn out to be a good teacher... We'll see what happens with Hahn.

    Also, I was laughing that a plastic surgeon was in the operating room with an orthopedic surgeon etc. I was waiting for them to bring in an OB/GYN, too! I actually have no idea who all is in the operating room for a procedure like that so perhaps the depiction was accurate but it sure seemed odd!

  9. #4559
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,708

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Yeah, could be Queen Bee syndrome....

    I know, Mark kept saying, "and his skin is being burned off by the lye in the cement"....and everyone kept throwing in their two cents... I would hope in real life someone would have taken control much more quickly...
    What's weird is there is an ad for some kind of car on nowadays that shows the car driver driving the victim of a "cement accident" to the hospital...you first see the guy sticking out of a pile of cement under a small cement mixer, saying "don't ask".... Great minds think alike? You know both those things were conceived a long time ago and independently.

  10. #4560
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3020530;
    There are some very successful women who want to keep other women down...so that they will never have competition. They like being the Queen Bee. But you know--Hahn and Cristina are alike in the way they treat their underlings--dismissively. I think Cristina will turn out to be a good teacher... We'll see what happens with Hahn.

    Also, [B]I was laughing that a plastic surgeon was in the operating room with an orthopedic surgeon etc. I was waiting for them to bring in an OB/GYN, too! I actually have no idea who all is in the operating room for a procedure like that so perhaps the depiction was accurate but it sure seemed odd!
    EXACTLY There is so much of that type of stuff that starts to bug me and I just have to block it out so it doesn't bug me. My dh will walk in and I start to and then I just decide to watch the eye candy and go with the flow and all is well.
    I also agree about us being left to fill in the spaces about why Hahn disliked Yang so much. Often times these very famous doctors are looking for protege to groom, they just keep them in place. Honestly it would take YEARS for Yang to be any sort of threat whatsoever and I'm talking about 10 years. She's only in her second year of training for Pete sakes! SO unrealistic.

    Well, I could go on a rant about this subject and how SO stuff is unrealistic in terms of underlings shooting off their mouths, esp. a certain chief resident, but. .that would spoil the fun and drama of the show. imo, This is a totally unrealistic view of a hospital, but at its best a great show.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-27-2008 at 08:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.