+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

  1. #4531
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by coleslaw50;3018712;

    I am disappointed in the Hahn/Callie pairing because it is a shame that they needed to make a strong female doctor into a lesbian. Unfortunately, it almost seems falsely stereotypical to me. I saw it coming for weeks though because you could tell that Hahn was attracted to Callie and Callie was scared/confused/etc. Sloan made for some great moments w/the situation though! The whole fantasy thing in the male mind is so sad but true It could make for a very good storyline after last night and I hope that Shonda goes about it the right way.
    That's a fair point, but I'd point to the other very strong women characters on the show who are heterosexual as evidence that they're not just falling for a stereotype. Bailey is undoubtedly a strong woman. Addison had a few moments with wanting a baby, but for the most part is a very strong character. Christina is pretty strong as well. So they certainly do their part to show that strong women can be heterosexual. Who knows? Maybe in the next batch of interns, we'll get another gay woman who is weak and nuerotic like Meredith.

  2. #4532
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,168

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3018398;
    I don't watch this show but need to know, what was up with that guy in the previews? He looked like a big ball of paper mache.
    He laid in the cement because some other boys dared him to in front of a girl he had a crush on, who was a friend of theirs. She actually liked him but was afraid to say so because the other guys thought he was a loser. Of course he was much nice and more mature than they were.

    I loved seeing "LJ"---couldn't place him! What a tender little love story.... Hope the girl isn't pregnant tho! Somehow I doubt they were prepared with condoms.

  3. #4533
    Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Island
    Age
    36
    Posts
    295

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3018882;
    What a tender little love story.... Hope the girl isn't pregnant tho! Somehow I doubt they were prepared with condoms.
    They were in a hospital (which would have stuff like that) and basically asked a couple of doctors if it was ok... I would like to think that Mer and Der would make sure that particular issue was taken care of.

    As far as Hahn always being gay... I don't think so... there was an episode close tot he beginning of the season where she was REALLY mean to Christina and told her... quit kissing up to me... I don't sleep with women so it won't work... basically attacking her relationship with Burke implying their was the only reason she had any credibility at all.

    ETA:... I think the callie/hahn attraction was completely unexpected on both of their parts... but Hahn realized it first. It hit Callie when Hahn kissed her in the elevator.
    "We're going to have to watch that again" - John Locke

  4. #4534
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by coleslaw50;3018712;
    I agree. I think that George being gay in real life and playing a straight character with chemistry and all towards a woman(obviously not with Gizzie) proves that he is a good actor. I would hate to see them make him gay on the show just because he is in real life. It is afterall called acting.

    I am disappointed in the Hahn/Callie pairing because it is a shame that they needed to make a strong female doctor into a lesbian. Unfortunately, it almost seems falsely stereotypical to me. I saw it coming for weeks though because you could tell that Hahn was attracted to Callie and Callie was scared/confused/etc. Sloan made for some great moments w/the situation though! The whole fantasy thing in the male mind is so sad but true It could make for a very good storyline after last night and I hope that Shonda goes about it the right way.
    This show has a multitude of STRONG, bright, heterosexual women--TONS, that's what it's all about, so I see no stereotyping with Hahn. These women are all extremely high achieving surgical residents or above. I don't see why the actor playing George would be any less of an actor if he played a gay character with a gay relationship. After all isn't Patrick Dempsey acting?

  5. #4535
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3018882;
    He laid in the cement because some other boys dared him to in front of a girl he had a crush on, who was a friend of theirs. She actually liked him but was afraid to say so because the other guys thought he was a loser. Of course he was much nice and more mature than they were.

    I loved seeing "LJ"---couldn't place him! What a tender little love story.... Hope the girl isn't pregnant tho! Somehow I doubt they were prepared with condoms.



    This is exactly the sort of thing about this show that annoys me. As much as I enjoy certain facets of the show that was SO unspeakably out of line for surgeons to arrange that little tryst between teenagers. As long as I like the main stories I can ignore this type of thing though. However, I wouldn't expect to see this girl next season.

  6. #4536
    the simple things babymay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3018407;
    babymay - he layed in wet, quick-drying cement on a construction site and it hardened around him.
    Thanks! I have been dying to know.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

  7. #4537
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    402

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3019043;
    I don't see why the actor playing George would be any less of an actor if he played a gay character with a gay relationship. After all isn't Patrick Dempsey acting?
    Unfortunately it's not the same thing. In this industry there's reluctance to cast (openly) gay actors in straight roles. Awhile back there was an interview with an actor (Chad something who was on Dr Quinn Medicine Woman) whose acting roles dried up when it came out that he was gay. It's ridiculous considering they're ACTORS playing a role so I don't understand how their personal life should impact the kind of character they play.

    Making George gay wouldn't make TK Knight less of actor but it wouldn't send the positive message that he was hired for his ability to act, not his ability to garner GLAAD support.

  8. #4538
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;3019056;
    Unfortunately it's not the same thing. In this industry there's reluctance to cast (openly) gay actors in straight roles. Awhile back there was an interview with an actor (Chad something who was on Dr Quinn Medicine Woman) whose acting roles dried up when it came out that he was gay. It's ridiculous considering they're ACTORS playing a role so I don't understand how their personal life should impact the kind of character they play.

    Making George gay wouldn't make TK Knight less of actor but it wouldn't send the positive message that he was hired for his ability to act, not his ability to garner GLAAD support.
    I understand the political implications, but honestly I see George as a very lost character in terms of his love life. MANY young actors co-starring in major roles don't get more roles ever after their series end: gay or straight. I'm not saying that because the actor playing George is gay that therefore George should be gay. I'm just saying that I think it would have been interesting to make George gay, instead of Callie, and the fact that the actor is gay should not preclude this from happening.

    I also disagree with your idea that a gay playing a gay character is perceived as less acting than a straight playing a straight character. I imagine that in the vast majority of cases any kissing scenes are between two actors, straight or gay. In addition he's been acting on the series for 2- 3 years, so he was hired as an actor imo. So I guess I'm confused about your argument.
    Last edited by girlsmom; 05-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.

  9. #4539
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,009

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    I would really appreciate an answer to this from someone who is gay so that I can understand your perspective. In the days when gays began their struggle for equal rights and acceptance, I thought they emphasized that this was not a lifestyle choice, but that they were born gay. I do believe that is true and that they were responding to the conservative bigots who condemned them for their "evil life choices."

    Why then are gay people not upset to see characters jumping back and forth between being straight and gay? Doesn't this go against what they have tried to educate people to understand? And, doesn't it give ammunition to the bigots who insist that exposure to a gay person can change a straight person?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  10. #4540
    LG.
    LG. is offline
    FORT Writer LG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    frozen tundra
    Posts
    14,060

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    speaking of getting typecast, I saw Leno (or was it Conan) earlier this week with Eric McCormack (who was Will, from Will and Grace), a hetero actor who played a prominent gay role. He was telling the host that he was acting a part in the upcoming movie The Andromeda Strain (on A&E this Monday, I think - my husband set our DVR to tape it), and he said a neighbor asked him "so are you gay in this one too?"

    I'm hoping that we're moving beyond wrecking someone's career in hollywood based on sexual orientation. I do remember when Rock Hudson died of AIDS and the public was stunned. Come on people, they are playing roles.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.