+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree545Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by rcurrytoo;3017568;
    I am so glad the chief backed up Christine and told Hahn to get her act together, Hahn was working my last nerve!
    The other portion of that which I had not picked up on yet, but really loved when it was pointed out, was just how much Christina was being just like Hahn in HER refusal to teach. I loved the scene with Christina teaching Lexie stiches on a banana because it showed that Christina got that she was being more like Hahn than Burke.

When Grey's first started, the thing I loved about it the most was the way they used the patient stories as analogies to the doctor's storylines, and I LOVED how they got back to that in this episode. You had Callie seeing herself with Hahn as she was telling the girl with cement boy that her feelings for him mattered more than what people thought. You had Derek talking about patients saying Meredith tears everything apart, but talking about their relationship. You had Bailey telling the cement boy that he coudln't give up, but telling herself the same thing with regards to her family/career mix.

I didn't really like it when they got off track, and started making storylines about medical cases. I'm glad that they're back on track using them as a literary device instead of standalone storytelling.
    Last edited by Veruka; 05-23-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3017611;
    ok that "wait for me" scares me

That scared me too. I was thrilled that Meredith and Derek WANT to get back together and that Mer is on her way to being emotionally healthy, but I think there are certainly going to be more obstacles in their way next season. Rose has been behaving interestingly with Derek, I wonder if she could be pregnant? To Meredith and Derek are the premier couple on the show so they're not just going to let them live happily ever after at this point.

I really like the back stories that were told about the characters and I think they are aligned to move forward from their somehat mired storylines. I love this show in spite of some points that really irritate me because I think they're so inacurate and I think next season will be back on track.

I look forward to next season that's for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Veruka[/B];3018420;]
    When Grey's first started, the thing I loved about it the most was the way they used the patient stories as analogies to the doctor's storylines, and I LOVED how they got back to that in this episode. You had Callie seeing herself with Hahn as she was telling the girl with cement boy that her feelings for him mattered more than what people thought. You had Derek talking about patients saying Meredith tears everything apart, but talking about their relationship. You had Bailey telling the cement boy that he coudln't give up, but telling herself the same thing with regards to her family/career mix.

I didn't really like it when they got off track, and started making storylines about medical cases. I'm glad that they're back on track using them as a literary device instead of standalone storytelling.
    Veruka Great points and very well stated.
    Last edited by girlsmom; 05-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.

FORT Fogey

I hope they keep Rose normal, grounded, unpregnant, and a character on the show. Actually, I think that with the new Sloan that we're seeing (who could really recognize Callie's attraction to Hahn and support and encourage it) I think I could really enjoy a Rose/Sloan pairing ... in happy, healthy, loving way. They could be good together.

I have to disagree with the comment upthread about Hahn and Callie seeming to be all about lust. I don't see that in them at all. I see their relationship as built on a solid foundation of friendship. They saw they had stuff in common, started hanging out and having fun together, became close friends, and then fell in love. As I see it, the physical attraction came last. It seems to be a hot attraction, but the kind of hot that comes from love, not lust.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3018459;
    I hope they keep Rose normal, grounded, unpregnant, and a character on the show. Actually, I think that with the new Sloan that we're seeing (who could really recognize Callie's attraction to Hahn and support and encourage it) I think I could really enjoy a Rose/Sloan pairing ... in happy, healthy, loving way. They could be good together.

I have to disagree with the comment upthread about Hahn and Callie seeming to be all about lust. I don't see that in them at all. I see their relationship as built on a solid foundation of friendship. They saw they had stuff in common, started hanging out and having fun together, became close friends, and then fell in love. As I see it, the physical attraction came last. It seems to be a hot attraction, but the kind of hot that comes from love, not lust.
    I agree that Callie and Hahn had a good friendship foundation. The only thing that seemed strange was this buying into these women who meet a woman and decide that they're gay. Callie was a VERY heterosexual woman, imo. However, I like the pairing. I think it would have been more interesting to have George realize that he was gay though and treat it seriously.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3018462;
    I agree that Callie and Hahn had a good friendship foundation. The only thing that seemed strange was this buying into these women who meet a woman and decide that they're gay. Callie was a VERY heterosexual woman, imo. However, I like the pairing. I think it would have been more interesting to have George realize that he was gay though and treat it seriously.
    ER did the storyline with Carrie falling in love with a woman in very similar fashion, and I thought it worked very well in both cases. To me, its not a matter of "realizing they're gay". Different people have different feelings / expressions of sexuality. We don't know a lot about Hahn's romantic history, so for all we know, she's identified with being gay for a long time. Perhaps Callie is not gay - perhaps she's bisexual. Given the way that she struggled for several episodes with her feelings for Erica, I think the progression worked very very well and was not just a "look mom! We're gay! It's sweeps" kind of move.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3018467;
    ER did the storyline with Carrie falling in love with a woman in very similar fashion, and I thought it worked very well in both cases. To me, its not a matter of "realizing they're gay". Different people have different feelings / expressions of sexuality. We don't know a lot about Hahn's romantic history, so for all we know, she's identified with being gay for a long time. Perhaps Callie is not gay - perhaps she's bisexual. Given the way that she struggled for several episodes with her feelings for Erica, I think the progression worked very very well and was not just a "look mom! We're gay! It's sweeps" kind of move.
    I agree about Hahn and I always suspected that they were grooming the character for this. I got that vibe of her attraction to Callie early on. I would also concur that Callie's character would be bisexual. I guess my comment had more to do with some real life women not feeling at all attracted to women and the WOW they find real love and sexual satisfaction with a woman. I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't understand that this is true sexual desire if they never realized it before.
    To me it would have been braver and perhaps more in character to have George be the homosexual character. I know that actor is gay, so I perhaps that partially accounts for my desire, but to me, it would make sense with the character who seems to fall in and out of love at the drop of a hat. The character of George has been generally lost in this area, imo. This would be a good set up for his ultimate realization of being gay. I'd just find it refreshing to honestly explore that, although I realize it would be much tougher on the ratings.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3018486;
    I agree about Hahn and I always suspected that they were grooming the character for this. I got that vibe of her attraction to Callie early on. I would also concur that Callie's character would be bisexual. I guess my comment had more to do with some real life women not feeling at all attracted to women and the WOW they find real love and sexual satisfaction with a woman. I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't understand that this is true sexual desire if they never realized it before.
    To me it would have been braver and perhaps more in character to have George be the homosexual character. I know that actor is gay, so I perhaps that partially accounts for my desire, but to me, it would make sense with the character who seems to fall in and out of love at the drop of a hat. The character of George has been generally lost in this area, imo. This would be a good set up for his ultimate realization of being gay. I'd just find it refreshing to honestly explore that, although I realize it would be much tougher on the ratings.
    Since I've never had the experience of being attracted and finding real love with a woman, I'd have to agree with you that i don't personally understand the dynamic. But since I've seen it happen in other women (both one in my family, and some celebrity instances such as Anne Heche and Cynthia Nixon) I don't dout the reality and sincerity of it happening in some.

I have to say, I'm relieved that they're not doing this storyline with George. As I've said before in this thread, I love that Grey's does storylines because they make sense, and not to say "look at us, we're so progressive! Give us GLAAD and NAACP awards!" They cast a racially diverse group because they were good actors - not because they met diversity criteria. They've paired up characters for romances because it made sense - not because they wanted to delve into an interracial storyline, or a gay storyline. If they made George's character fall in love with a man, then between the actor being gay in real life, and the behind the scenes drama last year, that would seem to me like a "look at us! We're doing a gay storyline!" and it would lose the appeal with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3018496;
    Since I've never had the experience of being attracted and finding real love with a woman, I'd have to agree with you that i don't personally understand the dynamic. But since I've seen it happen in other women (both one in my family, and some celebrity instances such as Anne Heche and Cynthia Nixon) I don't dout the reality and sincerity of it happening in some.

I have to say, I'm relieved that they're not doing this storyline with George. As I've said before in this thread, I love that Grey's does storylines because they make sense, and not to say "look at us, we're so progressive! Give us GLAAD and NAACP awards!" They cast a racially diverse group because they were good actors - not because they met diversity criteria. They've paired up characters for romances because it made sense - not because they wanted to delve into an interracial storyline, or a gay storyline. If they made George's character fall in love with a man, then between the actor being gay in real life, and the behind the scenes drama last year, that would seem to me like a "look at us! We're doing a gay storyline!" and it would lose the appeal with me.
    I hear what you're saying. I just think that it a neglected topic in this society. Women are empowered to do or be whatever they want, but men are still put in their little boxes. Women are allowed to be gay because of the male fantasy (which is so delusionally ridiculous to me) and, yes because women are not threatened by gay women like men seem to be. You're probably right that the fact that the actor is gay would perhaps make it look like a publicity stunt to some. I still want to see George's character make a bit more sense. I will say that Sons and Daughters, which I enjoy very much, has tackled this topic very well.

Great episode last night. Loved the fact that Meredith is working through her issues and finally realizes what her mother meant by extra ordinary. I hope nothing happens to Derick on the way to tell Rose he is chosing Meredith.

Miranda's scene in the clinic had me in tears. It is so hard for a professional woman to realize that she can't do everything. Fantastic acting on her part.

Lexie's photographic memory was hysterical. I'm glad she read those files even though she wasn't supposed to and was able to tell George about failing by one point.

The chief and his wife reuniting was great. I've been pulling for them all season. I was waiting for her to tell him no for some reason though.

Finally someone put Hahn in her place. She is there to teach and help those young doctors. I'm glad Christina realized that she was doing exactly what Hahn was doing and started teaching Lexie on the banana.

Finding out a little of Alex's backround was great. And seeing that sensitive side of him that we saw when he held Izzie after Denny's death was fantastic.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

In the "supposed" warm south where it's been cold for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3018496;
    I agree. I think that George being gay in real life and playing a straight character with chemistry and all towards a woman(obviously not with Gizzie) proves that he is a good actor. I would hate to see them make him gay on the show just because he is in real life. It is afterall called acting.

I am disappointed in the Hahn/Callie pairing because it is a shame that they needed to make a strong female doctor into a lesbian. Unfortunately, it almost seems falsely stereotypical to me. I saw it coming for weeks though because you could tell that Hahn was attracted to Callie and Callie was scared/confused/etc. Sloan made for some great moments w/the situation though! The whole fantasy thing in the male mind is so sad but true It could make for a very good storyline after last night and I hope that Shonda goes about it the right way.

+ Reply to Thread