+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Regular

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2751161;
    I love Georges Mom, but truthfully that whole line about them being Catholic and having to stay together because they don't believe in divorce is wrong- really, the writers should have looked into that. In real life, the Catholic Church would not have recognized a marriage that took place "outside" the Catholic church - in fact, they would have been considered living in sin. Catholics have to be married in a catholic church by a catholic priest or it is considered outside the church and invalid. That priest which mom wanted him to see, would have had him filing for a legal divorce, and getting an annulment within the church so that he could get married if he wanted to some time in the future within the church. He would not have tried to reconcile the couple.
    Catholic cannon law is very complex. My husband (a non-Catholic) married his first wife who was Catholic - but not in the Catholic church. That marriage was never viewed as "valid" by the Church because of that. They did divorce, and later my husband married me, and I was also Catholic. I wanted to be married in the Church and what we found out is that the first marriage did NOT need to be annulled at all... his ex-wife was still free to marry in the Church with no impediments and my husband (a non-Catholic but in the process of converting) also had no impediments to marry in the Church.

So - George was listed as Catholic, but was Callie also Catholic? I got the sense maybe she wasn't. If she wasn't - then George does _not_ need an annulment to marry within the Church in the future.

If both of them are Catholic, but did not marry in the Church, then I think they need an annulment before they could marry someone else in the Church.

The thing I found most unbelievable about George's mother and the whole Catholic angle wasn't the misunderstandings about validation of a civil marriage or whether or not an annulment might be needed - many Catholics aren't informed about the procedures AND it is easy to make a wrong assumption because the cannon laws are very complex around it. What I found annoying was how the mother was so adamant about the sanctity of marriage and Catholic beliefs around marriage, but didn't have a clue-by-four that the elopement to Vegas would have about 99% percent guaranteed it was a civil/JOP only marriage and one not (yet) validated by the Church. Duh! I don't think Vegas is full of Catholic priests in 24 hour Chapels handing out that sacrament. Not to mention that all sorts of paperwork is needed (verifying baptismal records, etc) and interviews, and for most new couples, a semi-manditory "couples" education, etc. None of this happened when they went to Vegas, mom!!!

I'd have to rewatch that scene to pinpoint the other Catholic teachings that were tossed around that just didn't quite "ring" true for the situation, but I know there were several.

So - the question remains - was Callie Catholic??

Annika

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A part of me keeps half-way expecting George to find out that he is gay, as in art imitating life. But I can definitely see that Hahn and Callie storyline developing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Annika
    The thing I found most unbelievable about George's mother and the whole Catholic angle wasn't the misunderstandings about validation of a civil marriage or whether or not an annulment might be needed - many Catholics aren't informed about the procedures AND it is easy to make a wrong assumption because the cannon laws are very complex around it. What I found annoying was how the mother was so adamant about the sanctity of marriage and Catholic beliefs around marriage, but didn't have a clue-by-four that the elopement to Vegas would have about 99% percent guaranteed it was a civil/JOP only marriage and one not (yet) validated by the Church. Duh! I don't think Vegas is full of Catholic priests in 24 hour Chapels handing out that sacrament. Not to mention that all sorts of paperwork is needed (verifying baptismal records, etc) and interviews, and for most new couples, a semi-manditory "couples" education, etc. None of this happened when they went to Vegas, mom!!!

I'd have to rewatch that scene to pinpoint the other Catholic teachings that were tossed around that just didn't quite "ring" true for the situation, but I know there were several.

So - the question remains - was Callie Catholic??

Annika
    Yes, my feeling exactly, but you said it much better then I did! Thanks! If Callie is/was Catholic, the ceremony was still civil and not performed by a RC priest. Since she looks of Mexican/Spanish influence - good chance that her character is. But, I doubt we will here anything more about it.

prhoshay I am enjoying the Callie/Hahn connection also; I think they are good for each other.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Of course, Callie and Hahn could just become really good friends...like women can be prone to doing....without any lesbian overtones. Sort of like twin sisters separated at birth!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If I remember correctly, I thought that Callie was Catholic. There was a show last year when she introduced George to her parents. They may have come to town to visit her or something. I think her father was played by Hector Elizando. I think one of her parents mentioned something about getting married in the Church.

In my post about Callie and Hahn, I wasn't even thinking of a lesbian angle. I was just thinking how hard it was for Callie to have any friends last season. The girls were so mean to her when George first started seeing her. She was living in the basement of the hospital and seemed to be only living for work. Then she married George and a whole new set of problems developed. Here when she was leaving the hospital for a night out with Hahn, it was like finally she was going to go out with a friend and have some fun.

In the "supposed" warm south where it's been cold for weeks.

Good news...
    I was flipping stations waiting for AI to start last night and I caught the tail-end of Entertainment Tonight, which I never watch. However, they said that Grey's and Ugly Betty are scheduled come back on air with new episodes on April 24th! I was so glad to hear that because I was afraid that I'd have to wait til the fall to see Grey's! Just a little over two months away now!

In the "supposed" warm south where it's been cold for weeks.

Sorry for the double post, but I read something about this on AOL after editing time had already expired. There will be 4-5 new episodes shown this season and then there will be a full 22 episode season in the fall.
    YAY!

i love this show

season 4 rocks

FORT Fanatic

I just started watching this show. Got Season 1 on DVD and now I'm hooked. Am now halfway through Season 2. How did I miss this show for so long?!? Love George, love 'the Nazi', love love love McSteamy.

+ Reply to Thread