+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

PWS: Terrific analysis. I think you hit it right. The speed of his change of heart from one girl to another to another just doesn't play right and it isn't realistic given the TR's characterization of George. The cute little nebbish George with a unrequited love for the girl he can never have is believable. This George is not.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Im going to miss really old guy too. And i continue to be enamored with Miranda(and Chandra), I just love her.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Miranda's the best character by far. I loved really old guy too. He was great. Otherwise, it was just an okay episode at best. Next week's looks better though.

I'm glad Meredith has warmed just a little to Lexie but I think that changes judging by the previews next week when she seems jealous that Derek is being nice to Lexie.

I liked that really old guy was able to hear all their conversations over the last year. And yet again, Izzie got too attached to a patient. When she didn't know he had died she was saying he had her (in regards to him previously saying he wanted to die because there was nobody in his life left) - what was she going to do, befriend him and visit him at the nursing home? I wouldn't think it was a bad idea if it wasn't her saying it, considering her other patient-doctor infractions. She really doesn't know how to separate her emotions from her work. It's good that she's compassionate but she has no concept of boundaries. If Shonda really wanted us to like George and Izzie together she should have started making Izzie a more likeable person. Maybe, just maybe, we would have been more supportive.

It was so funny that when the lady with the tongue cancer thought she might not be able to talk again, instead of telling her friends how much she loves them she goes into a spiel about their clothing and bad breath . Of course they got their revenge at the end when they told her things they had been wanting to say knowing she couldn't talk back just yet.

Alex really disappointed me at the end. I thought Shonda had softened his character and then he turns around and outs George as a repeating intern, in a very mean-spirited way. Even oldest intern was shocked. I think Lexie had an attraction for Alex until he did that. I guess Shonda is pissed at us fans for not liking Gizzie so she's taking away our new and improved Alex as revenge because fans had started to like him. That's my opinion anyway.

And I agree about Chandra Wilson, she is the best one on the show. It was very touching how she went to Callie and said she'd be the best number two she could be and would start working with her instead of against her. I look forward to seeing the teamwork in action.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 10-12-2007 at 07:37 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2609167;
    I think it is maybe the role as written. George is written to be a nice guy, kind of nebbishy, not at all a forceful personality. Cute enough, but his selling point is that he'd be a really good dad and husband, faithful and true, and kindly, pleasant to live with. Younger women tend not to appreciate these qualities (the "bad boy" charm), and such guys come into their own as more women come to their senses after a few bad boy episodes--of course some women (Callie?) can see their charm even w/o the bad boy experience...she never seems tempted by McSteamy except as a way to blow off tension, for example. Definitely not hooked on him, despite the looks and swagger. Now ER docs might be the kind of women who go for the adrenaline high of the bad boys longer than other women...who knows.
    But in any case the Georges of the world are rarely fought over while they are young. They tend to hook up and stay hooked up. BUT this George is not being faithful and true, presumably because of his father's death he got married for all the wrong reasons. So he's an inconsistent character, very hard to play. On top of that no one can buy that his 'dream girl" went from Mer to Izzy so fast... he lived with both of them, but he clearly only fantacized about Mer. And on top of that no one can buy that Izzy went from Denny to George so fast. Just a completely unbelievable story all around.
    If Callie and Denny and Mer hadn't been around they could have written a SLOW love story for George and Izzy, where they gradually realize their best friend is more than that... the Georges of the world do tend to be their wives' best friends. But the whiplash speed of the story is just impossible.
    TR is well cast as George, and did a good job of him at the start. We bought him going to bed with Mer because that's her drunken pattern, and we bought his crushed reaction, all fit. We bought Callie having the sense to identify his good qualities, and his reluctance to buy in... and even, barely, the marriage due to his dad's death, and his dad liking her, his loss, etc., although it seemed out of character for George to do that. But with Izzy? So fast? So soon after Denny? Before he'd even backed out of his marriage? Nope, And I don't think it's TR's fault. It's the writing.
    I would say this is a flawless analysis on each point. The biggest mistake the writers made with George is not being patient enough to let his and Callie's marriage unravel slowly, piece by piece, as they discovered the numerous things they didn't know about each other. They started it, with George's discovery that Callie came from so much money. If they'd continued down that path, rather than taking the impatient "we have to blow this up in one episode" approach of bringing Izzy into the picture (if instead they'd have been patient enough to continue with the lingering best friend and spouse of the same gender conflict as one of the pieces to unravel) then viewers would be sympathetic and feel something for ALL characters involved instead of being annoyed by all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2609882;
    Miranda's the best character by far. I loved really old guy too. He was great. Otherwise, it was just an okay episode at best. Next week's looks better though.
    I agree. I've thought that part of the reason they did the spin off with Addison is that they realized that Addison's character was stepping on Bailey's toes as the moral compass of the show. So they move Addison to where she can be a moral compass elsewhere, and return Bailey to her glory -- and it's worked.

I decided last night that Izzy really really really needs a hobby that involves people. Clearly, she needs people to feel an attachment to, and in order to save the lives of more patients in the hospital, she needs to start finding those people in an art class or exercise group. Just how many poor souls who are stuck being her captive audience can the girl attach herself to (and then let die)? She needs a friend - pronto!
    Last edited by Veruka; 10-12-2007 at 08:43 AM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2609939;

Alex really disappointed me at the end. I thought Shonda had softened his character and then he turns around and outs George as a repeating intern, in a very mean-spirited way. Even oldest intern was shocked. I think Lexie had an attraction for Alex until he did that. I guess Shonda is pissed at us fans for not liking Gizzie so she's taking away our new and improved Alex as revenge because fans had started to like him. That's my opinion anyway.

And I agree about Chandra Wilson, she is the best one on the show. It was very touching how she went to Callie and said she'd be the best number two she could be and would start working with her instead of against her. I look forward to seeing the teamwork in action.

I was so disappointed with Alex at the end. He started growing on me last season and quickly became my second favorite character. He blew it big time last night. I really hope that he is able to redeem himself.

And Chandra is the best actress on that show. I love everything about her. I was really touched when she went to Callie at the end and said she would work with her instead of against her. But in all honesty, Miranda would be so much better as chief resident
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2609974;
    I would say this is a flawless analysis on each point. The biggest mistake the writers made with George is not being patient enough to let his and Callie's marriage unravel slowly, piece by piece, as they discovered the numerous things they didn't know about each other. They started it, with George's discovery that Callie came from so much money. If they'd continued down that path, rather than taking the impatient "we have to blow this up in one episode" approach of bringing Izzy into the picture (if instead they'd have been patient enough to continue with the lingering best friend and spouse of the same gender conflict as one of the pieces to unravel) then viewers would be sympathetic and feel something for ALL characters involved instead of being annoyed by all of them.

!
    Yes, absolutely, Veruka--that would have worked AND been great to watch, and by the time it was over it would be believable that Izzy would be ready to move on.
    I taped last night (have to watch my Office live!), but looking forward in a dreading kind of way to seeing Alex self destruct... Really, these writers! Or maybe it's the showrunner....

FORT Fogey

I actually didn't mind Alex too much yesterday, and had a different take on what he did to George.

The thing I've always loved about this show the most is that the characters are so real from a good/bad standpoint. One week, you can hate a character for what he/she does, and the next week, adore that character for something entirely different. That's real life to me - everyone has both good and bad traits rather than being entirely kind and good or entirely cruel. I'd rather see all sides of Addison, for example, then have a character like Romano on ER who is cruel and mean all the time.

In Alex, we really see both sides in the ways he cuts some peole down, and is so sensitve to others. He definitely saves his empathetic side for those who are more vulnerable, and cannot help themselves. (didn't he even admit to that in an episode last season?) So while what he said about George last night in the elevator was cruel, on a different level, it was also his way of telling George "You're better than this. You can do it for yourself. Stand up and be a man" Coupled with that was his jealousy for George getting so much attention while he was going (in his eyes) unnoticed and not admired.

It would not surprise me if next week, we see Alex being kind and compassionate to a patient again. To me, that would not be one of those whiplash moments. Instead, it would be a reflection of the depth these characters were originally developed with.

I thought at first maybe what Alex was doing was for George's own benefit, but that smirk and that look in his eyes after he told them about George left no doubt in my mind that he was only doing it for himself. I really wish that they wouldn't mess around with things like that. I mean, you don't always have to have a self-serving jerk character! I was loving the nicer Alex.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by aname;2609445;
    PWS: Terrific analysis. I think you hit it right. The speed of his change of heart from one girl to another to another just doesn't play right and it isn't realistic given the TR's characterization of George. The cute little nebbish George with a unrequited love for the girl he can never have is believable. This George is not.
    Thanks, JLuvs and aname. I just found this treatment of George's character so frustrating. And now it's going to take a lot of work to make his psychology believable again. Well... I'll see what's on last night's tape soon.

+ Reply to Thread