+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

I don't understand why TR Knight's homosexuality is at issue here. It's not because he's gay in real life that his character is not credible, it's because of his looks/acting. Look at all the actors who are believeable as womanizers, yet are homosexuals in their private life.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2605382;
    I don't understand why TR Knight's homosexuality is at issue here. It's not because he's gay in real life that his character is not credible, it's because of his looks/acting. Look at all the actors who are believeable as womanizers, yet are homosexuals in their private life.

no we are not really talking about his homosexuality just the look and acting. you can feel he is not too at ease.

FORT Fogey

I think he's intending to come across as not being at ease. To me, that IS acting. I think of George as an akward kind of guy who has never been completely comfortable in his own skin. That part works for me. It's all these women finding that akwardness desirable that doesn't work.

FORT Fogey

well, i just hope izzy backs of from our george!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

George and Callie were believable back in the "He's her McDreamy!!" phase, but having Izzie go from Denny to George so fast you get whiplash is totally unbelievable. I mean she was SO in love with Denny she risked her whole medical career and feels his soul brush by her and can't cash his check... and about two episodes later she's getting it on with George.
    You never felt that George was as interested in Callie as vice versa...she was more a fallback person since Mer wasn't interested, etc. But now Callie seems to have gone down a complete debasement track (although I"m still one tape behind, so maybe there's hope?), whereas before she was as strong woman who knew who she wanted...

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2605382;
    I agree. It is his acting. If any of you watch How I Met Your Mother, you will understand what DesertRose is trying to say. Neil is gay in real life, but on the show he is a total womanizer and it works b/c he pulls it off.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2606617;
    If any of you watch How I Met Your Mother, you will understand what DesertRose is trying to say. Neil is gay in real life, but on the show he is a total womanizer and it works b/c he pulls it off.
    I was going to make the same comment. Neil makes it so believable because he's acting the part very well. His personal sexual preference has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;2608439;
    I was going to make the same comment. Neil makes it so believable because he's acting the part very well. His personal sexual preference has nothing to do with it.
    I agree!! TR Knight just doesn't have the acting chops, or his look is wrong, or . . but something is missing. He just isn't the type that women would fall for and fight over. Whatever his real life sexual preference is doesn't matter. If he was a heterosexual in real life, he still couldn't pull off this particular role they have written for him - at least not convincingly.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think it is maybe the role as written. George is written to be a nice guy, kind of nebbishy, not at all a forceful personality. Cute enough, but his selling point is that he'd be a really good dad and husband, faithful and true, and kindly, pleasant to live with. Younger women tend not to appreciate these qualities (the "bad boy" charm), and such guys come into their own as more women come to their senses after a few bad boy episodes--of course some women (Callie?) can see their charm even w/o the bad boy experience...she never seems tempted by McSteamy except as a way to blow off tension, for example. Definitely not hooked on him, despite the looks and swagger. Now ER docs might be the kind of women who go for the adrenaline high of the bad boys longer than other women...who knows.
    But in any case the Georges of the world are rarely fought over while they are young. They tend to hook up and stay hooked up. BUT this George is not being faithful and true, presumably because of his father's death he got married for all the wrong reasons. So he's an inconsistent character, very hard to play. On top of that no one can buy that his 'dream girl" went from Mer to Izzy so fast... he lived with both of them, but he clearly only fantacized about Mer. And on top of that no one can buy that Izzy went from Denny to George so fast. Just a completely unbelievable story all around.
    If Callie and Denny and Mer hadn't been around they could have written a SLOW love story for George and Izzy, where they gradually realize their best friend is more than that... the Georges of the world do tend to be their wives' best friends. But the whiplash speed of the story is just impossible.
    TR is well cast as George, and did a good job of him at the start. We bought him going to bed with Mer because that's her drunken pattern, and we bought his crushed reaction, all fit. We bought Callie having the sense to identify his good qualities, and his reluctance to buy in... and even, barely, the marriage due to his dad's death, and his dad liking her, his loss, etc., although it seemed out of character for George to do that. But with Izzy? So fast? So soon after Denny? Before he'd even backed out of his marriage? Nope, And I don't think it's TR's fault. It's the writing.

I am in total agreement with you PWS. TR is a great actor and does an excellent job with what he is given. Can't wait to see the episode tonight.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread