+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;2452749;
    Ok, maybe I'm crazy but I was half asleep last night and thought I heard on the tv that IW is supposed to be on Larry King soon. I don't know if I was dreaming or not so is there a way for someone to find out?
    Unless he gets bumped off for someone else (like what happened with Michael Moore for Paris Hilton), Isaiah will be on Larry King Friday June 29.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2452938;
    Unless he gets bumped off for someone else (like what happened with Michael Moore for Paris Hilton), Isaiah will be on Larry King Friday June 29.
    So I wasn'y dreaming then. Now I wish I was...

Hey I've rented all three seasons of Greys on DVD and I've gotten through watching the first five episodes. I have a long way to go! I want to be able to watch this season and understand exactly what is going on.

I have a question though... how long is an internship for? Do you get paid?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Most internships at hospitals aren't paid. You do get some money to live on, but that's hardly payment for what they actually go through. A usual internship is 3 years, if you're lucky. There are those that fail and start over again.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi;2454227;
    Most internships at hospitals aren't paid. You do get some money to live on, but that's hardly payment for what they actually go through. A usual internship is 3 years, if you're lucky. There are those that fail and start over again.
    Interns ARE paid. If you google it, you'll find that the typical salary seems to be at least $40K per year, with full benefits and more paid vacation days than most people get. (I'm not saying that they don't need them or that it's easy, but it's not THAT bad.) According to sources, basic internship is one year, but these days that is usually followed by a couple years--depending on the specialty--of residency.

I know people who have had sufficient funds to buy a house and who have given birth to several children during the course of internship and residency. They were not on call for days and all that stuff. I have the impression that the totally hellish internship initiation rite is to some degree a thing of the past.

On Grey's Anatomy, I think they make it pretty clear that the reason they are all hanging around the hospital all the time is that they are driven personalities.

Ex-'Grey's' star cites racism for firing - Yahoo! News
    Ex-'Grey's' star cites racism for firing

Thu Jun 28, 9:45 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - "Grey's Anatomy" star Isaiah Washington said racism was a factor in his firing from the hit ABC series after he twice used an anti-gay slur.

Washington, who initially used the epithet during an onset clash with a co-star, told Newsweek magazine that "someone heard the booming voice of a black man and got really scared and that was the beginning of the end for me."

He tried to make amends by expressing remorse and volunteering to enter a counseling program to understand how the confrontation got out of hand, he told Newsweek.

"My mistake was believing that I would get the support from my network and all of my cast mates across the board. My mistake was believing I could correct a wrong with honesty and sincerity," he said in the interview posted online Thursday.

"My mistake was thinking black people get second chances. I was wrong on all fronts," he said.

His unwillingness to act like a submissive black at work was part of the problem, Washington said.

"Well, it didn't help me on the set that I was a black man who wasn't a mush-mouth Negro walking around with his head in his hands all the time. I didn't speak like I'd just left the plantation and that can be a problem for people sometime," he said.

"I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that `some people' were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I'm a 6-foot-1, black man with dark skin and who doesn't go around saying `Yessah, massa sir' and `No sir, massa' to everyone?

"It's nuts when your presence alone can just scare people, and that made me a prime candidate to take the heat in a dysfunctional family," he said.

ABC declined comment Thursday. In its one public statement regarding Washington, issued in January, the network said his actions were "unacceptable."

Washington, who used the slur against co-star T.R. Knight during a confrontation with Patrick Dempsey, repeated the word backstage at the Golden Globes in January in denying the first incident. A public apology to Knight and others followed.
    When will he stop digging that hole? He's clearly either got horrible publicists, agents, etc. or he's not listening to them. If he doesn't shut his trap soon, his career will be nonexistent. I wonder if this racism accusation and the "yes massa" comment is leveled at Shonda Rhimes, in particular?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

"I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that `some people' were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I'm a 6-foot-1, black man with dark skin and who doesn't go around saying `Yessah, massa sir' and `No sir, massa' to everyone?
    No, because you are a big bully that tramples on everyone that doesn't agree with you.

In another interview, he said that TR was the cause of the negative work environnement and that even Patrick D. would agree. I think he should at least stick to one story/excuse if he wants to try to be believeable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Goodness, he certainly is in a mood to deflect responsibility, isn't he? Personally, I think that article makes him sound like an immature idiot. I really don't get how his mind works. Sounds like he thinks it's everybody but him who should be held accountable. He's going to mess around and maneuver himself completely out of the industry.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2455761;
    No, because you are a big bully that tramples on everyone that doesn't agree with you.

In another interview, he said that TR was the cause of the negative work environnement and that even Patrick D. would agree. I think he should at least stick to one story/excuse if he wants to try to be believeable.
    Well, I don't think he's actually ever deviated from the part of the story where the whole incident with Dempsey started when Isaiah got upset over the fact that shooting was, once again, being held up because TR was late. Being late for his scenes was apparently an ongoing habit of TR's, and for Isaiah, and probably Patrick Dempsey, too, that WAS creating a negative work. It would bother anyone who is professional enough to realize that it's expensive and inconsiderate to keep an entire cast and crew waiting.

But I agree that Isaiah's continuing to dig a huge hole for himself, and he's clearly not getting that it's his anger management issues that make people scared of him and make the work environment feel negative for the rest of the cast.

His comments do make me stop and wonder, though, whether or not people get more scared of an angry black man than they do of an equally angry white man (not saying that it's OK for either person to act out). Sometimes we have subconscious reactions based on the expectations we have for a particular group of people.

It's kind of like the reaction people had to the picture of Rosie's daughter in a military costume. Would it have been as shocking if it had been one of her sons? For me probably not, because I expect boys to play army, but I didn't even realize at first that a big part of my reaction was because it was a girl in the picture. There were other reasons that it shocked me, too, but I'm just saying....
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Nomatter what his race is, he laid hands on another co-worker.

If I were there and watched a co-worker shove, try to strangle, push, whatever it was, I would justifiably be uneasy around that co-worker.

Name calling aside, this guy has anger issues and inappropriate responses to frustrations, etc. And everytime he speaks out, it just becomes more and more apparent.

He has a movie coming out, if he would just shut up and let his acting speak for him, he would be much better off.

At this point his being in something is a reason for me not to spend any money towards. Not a plus for a actor or a movie.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread