+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

FORT Fogey

Re: Grey's Anatomy

If they go the re-casting route with Burke, I'm done with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2434213;
    If they go the re-casting route with Burke, I'm done with the show.
    Boy, not me. I don't feel the creators should be constrained in their character and storylines just because some actor isn't available to them any longer.

I didn't stop watching Bewitched when Dick York had his accident. I won't stop watching Grey's because IW has an unfortunate personality.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2434186;
    I don't know,....I'm one of those people who like to watch the characters on a show. I don't care about their personal life, I just care about what they portray on tv.
    You might not care about his personal life or his personality, but the people that work with him do. To me, this goes beyond what the guy said. He's probably creating a really negative work environnement and that can ruin a show. I think they fired him for that reason.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2434249;
    Boy, not me. I don't feel the creators should be constrained in their character and storylines just because some actor isn't available to them any longer.

I didn't stop watching Bewitched when Dick York had his accident. I won't stop watching Grey's because IW has an unfortunate personality.
    There are some situations where I think re-casting makes sense, and I'm okay with it. The Bewitched situation is a great example of that. But I don't see this as one of those cases. IW didn't have some sort of accident which prevents him from being able to come to work. He behaved badly (certainly not the first in Hollywood to due that) owned up to it, apologized and took action to exhibit that apology, and was dismissed anyway. I just don't applaud a refusal to forgive when faced with an apology.

If they were to re-cast the character, then the only thing to point to as a reason is IW's behind the scenes behavior. If they just let the character go, then that indicates that the character had done all he could do without getting in the way of the development of Christina. I'd be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2434273;
    . He behaved badly (certainly not the first in Hollywood to due that) owned up to it, apologized and took action to exhibit that apology, and was dismissed anyway. I just don't applaud a refusal to forgive when faced with an apology. .
    He didn't initially own up to it or apologize for anything that he did. That came later after he got some heat.

I am not upset that he is gone and I am thrilled that TR is back. I hope they recast Burke.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2434304;
    He didn't initially own up to it or apologize for anything that he did. That came later after he got some heat.
    Agreed. But he did apologize. If we continually refuse to accept apologies because of the timing, tone, or whatever other "it's not good enough" excuses that we can come up with, then why would anyone bother to ever apologize for anything? I see forgiveness as a good thing, and I'm not willing to drop it in favor of grudges that may feel good but don't do any good.

FORT Fan

I think they should just write in a new character or two,not replace Burke .Get some more hot guys on the show.Especially if they have Christina and Izzy ,maybe Meredith single new season. Please do not limit us to just McDreamy ,McSteamy,and George. How about a McHunky,or a McOlicious.

If TPTB really thought he deserved to be fired, I think they would have done so right away. Instead, the media kept this story out there for months, and, over a longer period of time, pulled another Imus (got him fired). Think about it: say you do something stupid at work. Your employer isn't going to come to you six months down the line and say, you screwed up awhile ago and now we're going to let you go. If it was really that bad, in their opinion, they would have fired him on the spot. But they didn't.

As for the difficulty in working with coworkers-- I'll be the first to say that I don't like everyone that I work with. And we've had very tense moments at points. But, you still suck it up and work with that person 40 hours a week, because what choice do you have?

Maybe it's refreshing that, for once, a celebrity is being held to a higher standard of conduct. (If this happened at work and someone NOTICED, I'd be shocked.) But I think it's also terrifying that for one stupid remark, the media can turn it into a maelstrom that leads to one's termination. It's not unusual to say something that's not completely politically correct--I know I have-- and the ease with which the media has gone on a witchhunt lately is disturbing.

Especially since the hypocrisy there is nauseating. Apparently it's okay to trumpet out a mistake a person makes once or twice on one given day and get them fired, and yet, when the news types are the ones making the mistake and crucifying people for a month and it ultimately turns out that their targets were innocent, no apology or attempt at retraction is necessary. Sickening.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Missy, Hollywood is not like the real world. I am sure they put in more than 40 hours a week at times.. and working like they do requires a closer physical proximity at times.

I am willing to bet he was under contract until the end of the last season. TPTB are not that stupid.. they knew it would save on a lawsuit if they tried to fire him while he was under contract. Even if no lawsuit was ever mentioned.. the buy out wasn't worth it. Not to mention as its seen in the entertainment world.. no publicity is ever really bad publicity. EVERYONE was talking about it everywhere.. you heard about GA on tv, on line, on the radio, bloggers like Perez Hilton picked up on it.. you name it.

In the real world view of it, had some one said that to another co-worker, most times yes, they would have been fired. But would there be an investigation in to it? If you work some where there is a Union... you betcha! (and all actors are part of SAG) That could drag on months and months.. there are rules in that case and laws that hold an employer to investigating. Most of us 'suck it up' as you said because it's easier, no one likes to go looking for another job

The reality of it, for the people that put money in to Greys, it was not worth it to shut down production and work it out like that. they had to keep filming and get the season over then decide what to do. They earned some respect letting him go out as he did.. there was a shred of dignity in it, even if he lost all his in this mess.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I’m halfway hoping the “I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore” quote attributed to Washington ends up being more literal than just a blowing off steam moment. It appeared clear to me from Washington’s comments at that award show that he didn’t believe he’d done what he’d been charged and convicted of by the court of those with an agenda.

So even though he believed he hadn’t commited the crime, he decided to go with the flow and perform as if he had, jumping through every hoop layed out by others to help him (uhuh) or make an example of him. Now that that is done he’s drop kicked out the door.
    I’m not sure that carrying on further about this will aid his potential future endeavors, but it isn’t at all clear to me that it would harm him either.

In my view, he DID NOT bring up the matter at the awards, his comments were elicited/pried out of him by the pack of jackals interested in pursuing him till the got a response. He wasn’t the only one responsible for that mess at any point along its timeline. He's just the only one paying a price.

Other than Knight perhaps, but that is another type of price, and one where a credible argument can be made {in my estimation} that Washington isn't responsible for him paying.

+ Reply to Thread