+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Bailey's sons middle name is George because he helped her deliver him. Well, Addison delivered him, but at the same time, Bailey's husband had been in a terrible car accident with severe head trama. Shepard was operating on him and Bailey was freaking out. She was determined to NOT have the baby....nobody could convince her to give in and push. The baby was at risk and finally, George stepped in and talked her into going ahead and pushing. He stood in as her coach. So, she named her son after him.

Also, I thought when the chief told Bailey that she wasn't ready, he wasn't talking about the Chief Resident position. He was talking about Chief of Surgery...his job.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2432927;
    Also, I thought when the chief told Bailey that she wasn't ready, he wasn't talking about the Chief Resident position. He was talking about Chief of Surgery...his job.
    Thanks for both memory prompts, katgib13. Now that you’ve mentioned it, I recall his having been speaking of Chief of Surgery as well. I also recall that I was thereby subsequently surprised to discover that Bailey is only a resident, having imagined her significantly higher up the hospital food chain based on The Chief’s remarks to her. I’d thought he was projecting an additional seasoning period of a year or so at most, but somehow I envision there to be a rather large gap between the skill, power and respect level attributed to Chief Resident and that of Chief of Surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2400594;

The most powerful moment of the episode was Christina realizing she's free and having a panic attack to get out of her wedding attire.
    […]
    I thought it was pretty lame though that Burke knew all along that wedding wasn't the kind Christina wanted but yet made her go along with it anyway, and then he dumps her at the altar. I think if he had agreed to her small justice of the peace ceremony she would have been fine with that but he wasn't willing to make that sacrifice for her. But she was willing to make a sacrifice for him and he threw it back in her face. So I was happy for her when she was happy that she was free. I know she was crying but it really seemed like tears of relief once the initial shock was over. I do believe she cared for him a great deal, even loved him, but she wasn't herself anymore and once she realized she was getting herself back she was relieved. And I was relieved for her. So many times women give up their identity to become someone else in the name of love. I guess I'm a little disappointed though that he made the decision for her and she didn't do it on her own.
    I agree with you on it being the most powerful moment. Because it was such a powerful moment, ArchieComic Fan, I’m going to offer my take as well which differs substantially from yours. I hope that’s ok. Not suggesting I’m right and you’re not, just offering a differing contrast of a critical moment. I do like your comments in general at the end, were I to have viewed the events as you, I’d have surely preferred that Christina had possessed enough self love and respect to have done the dumping as well.

However, like my earlier comments stated, I didn’t see what went down as Burke throwing it in Christina’s face, something I only mention again in getting to the part of your take which truly caught my eye, which was your projection that sad as she was she was happy to be free.

I didn’t detect any happiness whatsoever in Christina at that moment. Not a single teensy weensy shred. Everything about that scene related to and tied into heart wrenching loss to my eyes and ears. I heard her say “I’m free!” and felt her words as “I’m lost!” or maybe “I’ve lost”, but not in a competitive sense, of course.

Her hyperventilating struggle to rid herself of the choker which appeared to be choking her with its reminder of control I therefore saw as a desperate rush to remove from her person the physical connection to what she had lost.

The kind of scene which what Christina went through most reminds me of is one where a woman’s period doesn’t arrive on time, leading to anxiety? panic? Something similar, seeing as a pregnancy wasn’t sought or desired especially not NOW. Fret city, and then comes the moment of truth, and what a relief is felt that it was a false alarm.

Initially. Before succumbing momentarily to something approaching grief and feeling of loss over what might have been; a pregnancy she may have moved toward embracing without having been consciously aware of until discovering she isn’t pregnant.

Christina suffered a dual loss which magnified her pain.

That which she had actually had, as well as what might have been.

I appreciate your difference of opinion, that's what makes this site so great! Many times I re-see things through someone else's eyes when they post their thoughts and it adds a fresh perspective. And upon my second viewing of the episode, I realized that when she said "I'm free, damn it!" it was of a woman who thought she wanted to be free all along but in the end realized just how hard she had really fallen. Like a "don't know what you've got until it's gone" moment. Whatever it was she was thinking, Sandra Oh did a fantastic job!

FORT Fogey

My take on that scene was that both of you are pretty much right. I think Burke and Christina had that kind of relationship where each loved the other one deeply in THIS moment ... but neither wanted to go in the direction that the other wanted for the future. Because she loved Burke so much in this moment, Christina kept on going down the road toward Burke's wants and desires. She wanted Burke, but didn't necessarily want the life he wanted. I think the "I'm free" was honest to goodness relief ... and then the "damnit" and all that took place after that was a combination of being absolutely miserable to discover that all she loved was gone, and absolute relief that she could be true to herself again. And I don't think anyone on the show could have pulled off conveying all of that except for Sandra Oh.

I just recently started watching Grey's. I know I am late to the game. But I am almost through Season 2 and already panicing about season 3!! I looked on abc.com and it only had May episodes. Does anyone know where I can see the whole season? Or when does it come out on disk? Any help would be appreciated.

bcarson.... they normally release it about a month before the new season begins. I'd say the Season 3 collection will come out late summer.

I don't think I can wait that long! I have to be ready for season 4 When does that start? I hope its not something crazy like the Lost schedule. All though that would give me time to watch it!

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson;2433367;
    I don't think I can wait that long! I have to be ready for season 4 When does that start? I hope its not something crazy like the Lost schedule. All though that would give me time to watch it!
    According to Amazon, season 3 comes out on DVD on September 11. The new tv season usually starts around the third week of the month (September), so that'll probably be the beginning of season 4.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 06-07-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I just read on a couple of websites (ew.com and people.com) that Isaiah Washington will not be renewed to star on Grey's next season.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I'll miss Burke and Christina...

Isaiah Washington Let Go from Grey's Anatomy - Grey's Anatomy, Isaiah Washington : People.com

Isaiah Washington Let Go from Grey's Anatomy

THURSDAY JUNE 07, 2007 10:20 PM EDT

By Mary Green

The speculation is over: After a controversial season, Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy, his rep and ABC Television Studio have confirmed.

Howard Bragman, Washington's publicist, says Washington's option was not renewed, and released this statement from the actor: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more." Bragman did not elaborate.

The cast was notified Thursday night of the final decision, which, says a source close to the situation, was a long time coming. In the end, the source says, Washington's behavior made him a liability.

Though rumors ran rampant following the season finale – during which Washington's character, Dr. Preston Burke, broke up with his fiancée, Christina Yang (Sandra Oh), and moved out of their apartment – the source insists that no decision had been finalized at the time of the finale.

Washington first came under fire last fall after getting into an altercation with Patrick Dempsey, during which he allegedly referred to castmate T.R. Knight with a homophobic slur.

Washington later apologized, checked into rehab, met with gay leaders and recently released a PSA decrying the use of hate speech.

+ Reply to Thread