+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

  1. #3901
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,791

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    If Meredith and Lexie really are 13 years apart in age, then maybe Molly came along a few years after his marriage to Susan and then Lexie came along 5 or so years later. Wasn't Meredith really young when they divorced? Say she was 5 or 6. Then he meets Susan and they have Molly. Meredith would be about 8 years older than her maybe. Then 4 or 5 years later Lexie is born, giving the 13 year age difference. I'm just guessing at the numbers but it's feasible.

    ETA: According to Wikipedia (not saying it's right) Molly is the youngest sister and Lexie is older. So the writers are definitely taking creative license with the actor's real ages. If Lexie is a few years younger than Meredith, they sure aren't doing Ellen Pompeo any favors as you can clearly see the age differences in their faces. I guess all the years of partying are supposed to have aged her beyond her years looks-wise. And Molly sure did look older than Lexie but then again we haven't seen them side by side yet (if ever).

    Okay, it wasn't easy but I managed to find out Mandy Siegfried (Molly) was born in 1972! So the writers have definitely screwed up the timeline for these sisters. Come on, would it really have been so difficult to cast according to age. Seriously?
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 05-18-2007 at 04:37 PM.

  2. #3902
    FORT Fogey katgib13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    I've been pondering over Meredith and Derek's relationship. I'm actually siding with Meredith on this one, I think.

    At first, I was mad at Derek because he seemed to be drifting away from her and then I was mad at her because she seemed to be pulling away from him. After I've thought about it...I don't blame her. She meets this wonderful man who she falls in love with....their earlier scenes together were magic. Then...his WIFE shows up. SURPRISE! Derek is supposed to sign divorce papers and doesn't. Meredith has to watch Derek and Addy every day at work. She can't escape them. Then Derek calls her a wh*** and has sex with her in an exam room...during prom. Knowing that she has moved on...or is at the very least...trying to with Finn. THEN he leaves Addison only to tell Meredith he needs space, but that doesn't last very long.

    She then almost dies, her mother dies, Denny died, George's dad died (not in that order..) and then her step-mom dies. Her dad hates her, Derek is avoiding her. Who is left? Her friends. They are still there. Every one of them. I think she needs to tell Derek to stuff it. There is no way in hell she can possibly trust him. She isn't perfect, either, but with her lack of stability...I can see why she wouldn't want to keep trying with Derek.

    I also have no idea about the fate of George and Burke. I was pissed at Isaiah for his slurs against TR but I do like the character of Burke and I adore George, so I hope they both return.

  3. #3903
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,779

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2402340;
    If Meredith and Lexie really are 13 years apart in age, then maybe Molly came along a few years after his marriage to Susan and then Lexie came along 5 or so years later. Wasn't Meredith really young when they divorced? Say she was 5 or 6. Then he meets Susan and they have Molly. Meredith would be about 8 years older than her maybe. Then 4 or 5 years later Lexie is born, giving the 13 year age difference. I'm just guessing at the numbers but it's feasible.

    ETA: According to Wikipedia (not saying it's right) Molly is the youngest sister and Lexie is older. So the writers are definitely taking creative license with the actor's real ages. If Lexie is a few years younger than Meredith, they sure aren't doing Ellen Pompeo any favors as you can clearly see the age differences in their faces. I guess all the years of partying are supposed to have aged her beyond her years looks-wise. And Molly sure did look older than Lexie but then again we haven't seen them side by side yet (if ever).

    Okay, it wasn't easy but I managed to find out Mandy Siegfried (Molly) was born in 1972! So the writers have definitely screwed up the timeline for these sisters. Come on, would it really have been so difficult to cast according to age. Seriously?
    Ralph Macchio anyone??
    He was 23 playing a high school kid.. Born 1961, Movie came out 1984.

    Beverly Hills 90210.... All of the cast members were about 10-3 years older than the parts they play. Gabrielle Carteris was the oldest at 30 playing a 16 year old. Ian was next closest being born 1964, Followed by Luke Perry and Jason Priestly '65 and '69.

    Angela Lansbury famous as Jessica Fletcher of TV's Murder She Wrote was often cast in parts far to old her in her youth. Born in 1925 she played mother to Chad (Elvis Presley) in Blue Hawaii, Move was made in 1961, she was only 10 years older than Elvis (his birth day is in 1935).

    My point being here.. TV/Movies hardly EVER cast based on real age of the actor.. its always based on how they feel the character SHOULD look. Be it an old 29 or a young 45.. or if someone is 50 but looks 30/someone is 14 looks 24/someone is 25 looks 15... its all in the eyes of the one making the casting choice. I never would have guessed Ralph was playing a part 5 years too young for him, and when I was watching it in the 80's I really didn't care. He did a good job, just like the cast thus far on Grey's. I dont' think their real age matters in the least when its all said and done.. I am sure we will all find something else to kavetch about in the end.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  4. #3904
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2402455;
    Ralph Macchio anyone??
    He was 23 playing a high school kid.. Born 1961, Movie came out 1984.

    Beverly Hills 90210.... All of the cast members were about 10-3 years older than the parts they play. Gabrielle Carteris was the oldest at 30 playing a 16 year old. Ian was next closest being born 1964, Followed by Luke Perry and Jason Priestly '65 and '69.

    Angela Lansbury famous as Jessica Fletcher of TV's Murder She Wrote was often cast in parts far to old her in her youth. Born in 1925 she played mother to Chad (Elvis Presley) in Blue Hawaii, Move was made in 1961, she was only 10 years older than Elvis (his birth day is in 1935).

    My point being here.. TV/Movies hardly EVER cast based on real age of the actor.. its always based on how they feel the character SHOULD look. Be it an old 29 or a young 45.. or if someone is 50 but looks 30/someone is 14 looks 24/someone is 25 looks 15... its all in the eyes of the one making the casting choice. I never would have guessed Ralph was playing a part 5 years too young for him, and when I was watching it in the 80's I really didn't care. He did a good job, just like the cast thus far on Grey's. I dont' think their real age matters in the least when its all said and done.. I am sure we will all find something else to kavetch about in the end.

    Adding to this -- When Grey's was first created, the focus was supposed to be on the interns. The residents and attendings were supposed to be nothing but supporting cast for the most part. So casting everyone didn't rely as heavily on age -- we weren't going to have much to compare them to. But then the show evolved to where characters come in because they make sense, regardless of their age / rank. So this time around, it became more important to cast interns who look younger than everyone else.

  5. #3905
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    192

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    There were a few things that really bothered me about the writing in last nights show. Ok it is fine that Burke finally sees that he is trying to mold Christina into someone she is not. But I think they still love one another and could be together,while staying true to themselves as individuals.They just need to do this in away were they are being equal partners.I guess with Isaiah leaving the show they had to end their relationship in a dramatic way. What did not seem believable though is that he had already gone back to their apartment and cleared out all his stuff,in the time since leaving the church. She got to the apartment and was still in her wedding dress. If he cares about her at all, in real life, the guy would not just leave so abruptly.I think Christina was devasted by Burke's leaving,and also angry with herself for tolerating all the demands placed on her by Burke and his Mother.
    I also really do not like how they write Meredith's story lines. Ok she has abandonment issues and low self esteem,from her childhood. She sets herself up to have men in her life leave her,by emotionally pushing them away.So yeah Derrick was correct in saying she leaves him. I just hope that next season they have a new character that is a theraptist,so Meredith can get some counseling and work out all these issues.They need to give her character more humor,and less poor,poor ,pitiful me.The new spinoff with Addison has a character that is a theraptist,so why not one on Grey's.
    Another storyline that I thought was frustrating is when Meredith's Stepmom dies.I do not like that they never gave us an explanation of what was wrong with her. Why did'nt the Chief and Bailey go over to Meredith's Father and set him straight,to help Meredith out. Also Lexie being in the bar flirting with Derrick so soon after her Mom dies? If next season they go into a sibling rivalry triangle with the Greys and Derrick...,really will not like that storyline.Rather have Meredith just move on ,and get another new hot guy on the show.

  6. #3906
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    The thing that kind of amazes me is that all these interns met during their first year of interning together, right? So no matter how many seasons, all this was supposed to have occurred in one year. The way Izzie keeps talking about George and her being best friends...I can see how two people might meet and have a connection (drink! Oh wait, this isn't the "Bachelor" thread...) and become best friends. But I find it really difficult to believe that they're all each other's best friends and that their friends from med school, college, high school etc. don't count into the equation...

    Regarding the age thing...It doesn't really bother me if a 40-year-old plays an 18-year-old if they can pass for somewhere in the 18-22 age range. On "Seventh Heaven," Jessica Biel played the older sister even though she was younger than the actress who played Lucy. But they were believable as two sisters about 2 years apart in age. (Damn, and now I've just outed myself that I used to watch that show!)

    The problem I have, particularly with Ellen Pompeo, is that she -- as an intern -- looks as old as the residents and older doctors (Addison, McSteamy). If they would come out and say she took a dozen years off after college before going to med school, OK. That's pretty much what someone I know did-- switched careers in his mid-30's and became a doctor. She's a good actress, but I think she is too old looking to play this role. Lexie looks about the age of an intern (who went directly from college to med school)... But if they're trying to pass the sisters off as 1-2 years apart... They should've gotten an older actress to play Lexie or somehow explained the years off that Mere took before going to med school.

    Also, when Meredith announced that there'd be no wedding, it just annoyed me. She did it in such a way that she was put out by it. It wasn't a good situation for anyone. She should've tried to have a little more grace in getting across a very negative message.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-18-2007 at 05:55 PM.

  7. #3907
    FORT Devotee Mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    5,163

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Galestorm;2402470;
    I just hope that next season they have a new character that is a therapist,so Meredith can get some counseling and work out all these issues.They need to give her character more humor,and less poor,poor ,pitiful me.The new spinoff with Addison has a character that is a therapist,so why not one on Grey's.
    I agree - she needs to see a Psych Dr. It is ridiculous that they haven't worked that in so far, especially when her father forbid her to go to the funeral.

    The step mom died of sepsis. Here is the definition and when it is in the bloodstream they have to catch it before it gets to the heart or the patient will die.
    Sepsis (in Greek Σήψις, putrefaction) is a serious medical condition, resulting from the immune response to a severe infection. Septicemia is sepsis of the bloodstream caused by bacteremia, which is the presence of bacteria in the bloodstream.

  8. #3908
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    192

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Thanks Mike'sGirl for the explanation.Guess I was not paying close attention.
    I was reading Shonda's Blog.She says Alex and Meridith's parts mirror each other.And they are both damaged individuals. So are the writers's going to keep them damaged ,self distructing ,and dysfunctional? I certainly hope not. Get them both counseling.

  9. #3909
    RENThead JLuvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Commuting for Work
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Regarding TR and Washington:

    Click to see Spoiler:
    I asked my friend, who works in the entertainment industry, and he said that so far both TR and Isaiah are coming back next year. By no means is this definitive, but he loves the show and always clarifies rumors for me with the facts he knows at the time. So, as of 10 mins ago, they were both still coming back next season.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

  10. #3910
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,791

    Re: Grey's Anatomy

    Lois, as usual, you said what I was trying to say about the age thing.

    I'm well aware actors play younger/older than themselves all the time. I wasn't trying to say that when they should cast according to age that it be the actual real age of the actor to the character but rather that they should make an effort to have the actor at least look close enough to the age they are trying to convey. I know all about the BH 90210 actors and as long as they look the part, I don't have a problem with it. But this Mandy Siegfried isn't particularly well-known in the tv industry so it wouldn't have been difficult for the show to cast an actress who actually *looks* younger than Lexie. Molly, imo, looks older. And while the actress playing Lexie may be a fine actress, she looks way younger than Meredith. If we are ever to be told what their age difference is, it wouldn't have been difficult for them to cast someone who *looks* whatever their age difference is supposed to be. There are plenty of good actresses out there to choose from. I don't care how old they are in real life, just don't try to sell to me that Lexie is just a few years younger than Meredith when she clearly (imo) looks much younger. I'm not saying she is supposed to be just a few years younger because I don't know if we've ever been privvy to that info. I don't know why this irks me, it just does.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 05-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.