+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree663Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Re: Grey's Anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2341443;
    I really didn't get the whole Christina thing. I know that she was pretending to be who she wasn't in order to get her ex to go away and leave hear alone. But the whole bit at the end about her playing dumb to make Burke feel better? I looked all over left field, but I couldn't find quite where that one came from.
    I thought that was bit far-fetched too. Christina expected her ex to:

1) Overhear her playing dumb to Burke.
    2) Realize that she already knew the question she asked Burke.
    3) Suddenly realize this is not the Christina I know or want.
    4) Decide this is the last straw --- I'm out of here!

That's just seems a little too convulated and convenient for real life. I think the writer's wanted us to think "how brilliant" when Burke told Christina her plan of fingernails and playing dumb worked, but it felt too contrived for me.

FORT Fogey

Based on the conversation she had with the ex after that moment with Burke, I got the impression that the playing dumb question wasn't part of the "performance" for the ex - that she really didn't know he was there. That the comment he made to her really got to her, and she realized she was pretending to be someone she's not to be with Burke. The problem of course is that she's remained who she is to be with him up until the act. if it was all an act, then his words to her would have fallen on deaf ears. It seemed like they had more of an effect on her than that. Up until that point, I totally got the act she was putting on, and why she was putting it on. That's why her reaction in the end seemed so random.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2340970;
    I agree. Although I love every episode, I wish they would go back to the basics. I realize the characters need to grow, but lately, the characters haven't been acting...well...in character. Also, Izzy is one of my favorites and she used to be so perky, upbeat, happy and funny. For the past year, she has been a real downer. That's Meredith's job. I want Pollyanna Izzy back. I am enjoying the deeper side of Alex, though. I swear, if Derek breaks Meredith AGAIN, I'm going to hate him forever. They won't be able to redeem him in my eyes.
    I totally agree about Derek hurting Meredith again. We are supposed to feel like Derek and Meredith and each other's true love, but a decent person would never even think of ditching their significant other over a promotion! Yes, Derek didn't actually say he would do that, but he did give that impression.

And the wanting to be Chief being extremely important to Derek feels contrived because Derek has not been portrayed this way in the past (if he has, it was a rare event). If the writers actually do anything with this I will be very irritated with the show. Even the scene where he wouldn't answer the phone annoyed me. And, I'm a guy and we are more likely to overlook some matters of the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2341521;
    Based on the conversation she had with the ex after that moment with Burke, I got the impression that the playing dumb question wasn't part of the "performance" for the ex - that she really didn't know he was there. That the comment he made to her really got to her, and she realized she was pretending to be someone she's not to be with Burke. The problem of course is that she's remained who she is to be with him up until the act. if it was all an act, then his words to her would have fallen on deaf ears. It seemed like they had more of an effect on her than that. Up until that point, I totally got the act she was putting on, and why she was putting it on. That's why her reaction in the end seemed so random.
    Yes, I see what you are saying and it make things even more convulated! According to Burke he knew she was playing dumb since he mentioned that when they were at home. But, Christina did look conflicted both when confronted by her 'ex' and after Burke mentioned playing dumb to her. Adding to that, since when has Christina ever had to play dumb for Burke much less have a dilemma about that?!? He's at the top of his field and he just made one mistake which had nothing to do with his previous hand problems. I think that the more you think about it, the more contrived the whole thing feels no matter how you interpret the character's reactions.
    Last edited by skynet5000; 04-20-2007 at 01:50 PM.

FORT Fogey

Does anyone else think it's strange that Meredith looks older than her step-mother and yet her step-mother was saying she kept Meredith's dad from fighting to be in her life when she was a kid???!!

Meredith is the one that needs to leave this show. She is the only part I really don't like and I've found that I don't even watch most of her scenes, which really is too bad, given I like Derek a whole lot.

I love something about T.R. Knight - he's adorable for one thing, but I just love how when he looks sad, it melts my heart, I just want to hug and comfort him. George is definitely one of my favorites, and I love his relationship with Izzy, well except for the dumb sex part.

Callie was beautiful last night without makeup. And Alex is just so darn sweet, I want to take him home to my mom!!!

=skynet5000;2341534;]I totally agree about Derek hurting Meredith again. We are supposed to feel like Derek and Meredith and each other's true love, but a decent person would never even think of ditching their significant other over a promotion! Yes, Derek didn't actually say he would do that, but he did give that impression.

. And, I'm a guy and we are more likely to overlook some matters of the heart.[/
    I read somewhere that Meredith loses someone close to her and her step-mom is there for her to help her through it (or something like that). I think Derek dumps her for the chief position. There has been speculation that someone dies, but losing someone doesn't mean they die. It could mean they walk away and sadly, I think that is what happens. Which isn't going to endear Derek to the chief, as he wants Meredith to be safe and happy. After all, he promised her mother.

Skynet, you seem like such a sweet guy. Hopefully, there is someone wonderful in your life who knows this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

[spoiler]
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2340518;
    Click to see Spoiler:
    'We ought to give him (/them/whoever) a going away party!'

Isn't that along the lines of what is generally heard from those that don't care about the departed, but like that they provide an excuse for another manufactured celebration?

Both, either or neither can leave for all I care. Whatever works to cease their gratuitous drama from detracting from a show that doesn't benefit from it.[/spoiler]

That seems more than a little unfair, Leftcoaster.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    TR Knight didn't initiate or propagate this fuss, it's entirely I. W's behavior initially and then bringing it up again at the awards show. TRK seems to have behaved just fine as far as I can read.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2341789;
    Skynet, you seem like such a sweet guy. Hopefully, there is someone wonderful in your life who knows this.
    Thanks Katgib! There is someone wonderful and I'd quit my job before I let it affect our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene;2341581;
    Does anyone else think it's strange that Meredith looks older than her step-mother and yet her step-mother was saying she kept Meredith's dad from fighting to be in her life when she was a kid???!!
    Meredith did look raggedy last night. Mare Winningham is 10 years older than Ellen Pompeo, but I don't know how old the characters are or what the age difference is between the step mom and dad. I thought they mentioned it once - anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000;2341564;
    Yes, I see what you are saying and it make things even more convulated! According to Burke he knew she was playing dumb since he mentioned that when they were at home. But, Christina did look conflicted both when confronted by her 'ex' and after Burke mentioned playing dumb to her. Adding to that, since when has Christina ever had to play dumb for Burke much less have a dilemma about that?!? He's at the top of his field and he just made one mistake which had nothing to do with his previous hand problems. I think that the more you think about it, the more contrived the whole thing feels no matter how you interpret the character's reactions.
    Clumsy way for the writers to begin rationalizing a breakup and get rid of IW?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2342003;
    Meredith did look raggedy last night. Mare Winningham is 10 years older than Ellen Pompeo, but I don't know how old the characters are or what the age difference is between the step mom and dad. I thought they mentioned it once - anyone?
    I always assumed that Meredith was in her mid to late 20s. I'm guessing that Ellis Grey had Meredith sometime after she finished medical school, so that would mean that she was probably at least 25 or so, which would make Meredith somewhere around that age, too, no?

Also, wasn't Meredith originally presented to us as some sort of wunderkind who went straight through college and medical school and who had always known that she wanted to follow in her mother's footsteps? Has there ever been any indication that she took time off to do something else and then went back to school? (They may have said that she took a bit of time to help her mother; don't remember.)

Kate Burton, who played Meredith's mother is 49, and Mare Winningham is 47, so that would make Mare an appropriate age to be Meredith's stepmother without being a "younger woman." I was shocked to learn that Ellen Pompeo is 37. Is that really true, or is it a mistake? (I did see it in two different places when I googled her.)

If she really is 37 it explains why she would look like such a trashed 20-something-year-old, but if Meredith is supposed to in her 20s (which I think she is), why didn't they pick an actress who was age-appropriate?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread