+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Grey's Anatomy

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't septicemia only problematic for the person who has the infection? I don't think it will affect anyone around you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2229482;
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't septicemia only problematic for the person who has the infection? I don't think it will affect anyone around you.
    That is my understanding too. It's infection of the blood - so I can't see how it would be contagious and toxic like that. But, it was exciting.

If not recognized and treated fairly quickly, it will kill you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Apparently the toxic storyline was based on a true story:

A doctor and nurse treating a patient who was suffering from cardiac arrest passed out Saturday night because of fumes that came from the patient and the hospital was forced to close its emergency room, the authorities said today.

As the doctor and nurse drew blood from the patient, a 31-year-old woman, they noticed white crystals in the blood and smelled a substance like ammonia before passing out, said Dr. Humberto Ochoa of Riverside General Hospital.

The patient, who had been undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer at home, died. An autopsy is pending.

The fumes forced the hospital to move seven emergency room patients into the parking lot even though temperatures were in the 40's. Four other patients were transferred to other hospitals, but patients on other floors were not affected.

The doctor and nurse were hospitalized in stable condition at Riverside General Hospital, said Dolly Suban, a nursing supervisor.

The emergency room was decontaminated and reopened today, she said.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9 C00E7DD133BF932A15751C0A962958 260
    Last edited by Amanda; 02-05-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Good God.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I told you I heard about this case a long time ago! The original date was in 1994. What I wonder is why we haven't heard about anything like this since '94?

OK, great! I can't locate my post, but I definitely remember this happening. I'm surprised no one else remembers this. It was so bizarre!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 02-05-2007 at 12:16 AM.

General Hospital brought it up Friday in regards to the character of Robin who is HIV positive. How would it relate to her blood?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2229579;
    General Hospital brought it up Friday in regards to the character of Robin who is HIV positive. How would it relate to her blood?

On a bonafide soap opera, who would know?? Maybe it has to do with T-cells?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2225782;
    Except she wouldn't be Callie O'Malley. Female doctors have to be licensed with the same name they applied for. So many women doctors keep their maiden name.
    Really? My mother's doctor just changed her name because she got a divorce and is no longer using her ex-husband's last name. So she had to be re-licensed? That happend fast...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2229615;
    On a bonafide soap opera, who would know?? Maybe it has to do with T-cells?
    T-cells won't cause septicemia, but the lack of them could allow an infection to get a good foothold, which could lead to someone becoming septic.

LG.
    I'm in a licensed profession and I had to get my licensed re-issued with my new name when I got married in 2005. It cost me $20 and I had to send them a certified copy of the marriage license so they could verify my legal name change. I did it because I didn't want to be practicing under my ex-husband's last name after re-marrying, but I didn't go through the hassle of a legal name change (both for the license and for person identification) when I got divorced because professionals who change their name do have a hard time notifying their clients of their new name, people get confused, etc. as mentioned above. If I had it all to do over again, I would have stuck with my maiden name in the first place. Many women do for just those reasons. I'm guessing Callie Torres would think like that too. Callie is awesome, BTW, and I love her friendship with Addison. Whomever said that Meredith, Izzy and Christina were the "Mean Girls" of Seattle Grace was pretty accurate, but hopefully they're going to mature a little and give "others" like Addison and Callie a chance. If not - their loss.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread